PDA

View Full Version : New Saturn Curve

403Gemini
06-15-2004, 12:40 AM
yea i know im probably one of the only saturn enthusiats but i actually thought this looked pleasing to quite a few

http://www.saturnspeed.com/images/curve/curve_drive.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduced at the North American International Auto Show, the Saturn Curve concept looks to be the most agressive vehicle Saturn has designed yet. Built on GM's Kappa platform it will be the first rear wheel drive Saturn. The enormous 20" wheels hide 14" calipers, and are attached to the chassis by front and rear independant suspension. Under the front hinged hood you will find a 2.2L Supercharged Ecotec laying down 200Hp and over 200 lb.-ft. of torque. All that power is transmitted to the rear wheels through a Getrag 5-speed manual transmission.

The best part is sources report that the Curve has already been approved for production. Look for it on showroom floors in 2006. Price is targeted at the $20,000 mark. Too bad it looks like no dent resistant panels for the Curve.

original article:

http://www.saturnspeed.com/home.php

1badPT
06-15-2004, 01:14 AM
:love: :love: :love: :love:

wow they have to produce that! they just have to :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cobber112879
06-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Built on the GM Kappa platform. I remember when Saturn didn't get every car part they use from other GM divisions, or other car companys for that matter, and the vehicles had some quality. They need to do something to stop their quality landslide of the last few years.

86max
06-15-2004, 07:25 AM
It's still a saturn.......:thumbsdow

haha just playing dood:D

Looks pretty cool.

Gonthro
06-15-2004, 07:42 AM
looks sharp...

2.2L ecotec
for $20,000

sounds to me like a waste of a nice bodystyle.

Xtrema
06-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
looks sharp...

2.2L ecotec
for $20,000

sounds to me like a waste of a nice bodystyle.

Supercharged to 200HP/200lb of torque. If they can keep it under 2600lbs, it's no better/worse than RSX-S.

But knowing it's GM, they'll find a way to screw up the interior on the production model.

Will there be a drop top model? Or is that the strictly reserved for Solice?

pinoyhero
06-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Nice concept, it will never be produced by a conservative company like Saturn.

Gonthro
06-15-2004, 08:04 AM
i found some more pics of it

http://www.saturnspeed.com/images/curve/curve_interior.jpg

http://www.saturnspeed.com/images/curve/curve_dash.jpg

http://www.saturnspeed.com/images/curve/curve_grill.jpg

http://www.saturnspeed.com/images/curve/curve_hood.jpg

http://www.saturnspeed.com/images/curve/curve_rear.jpg

Lennon
06-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Gotta give props to Saturn on this one, but like penoyhero said, they probably will never make it.

BigMass
06-15-2004, 09:47 AM
It's called the Pontiac Solstice with a Saturn badge on it. It's a sharp looking car i wont deny it, but the engineering on it seems very light. 20" rims on that car is just stupid. Even the Enzo and Zonda dont use 20" rims and they are super cars. Anyways, it probably wont come standard with those thank God. The supercharge engine wont come standard either.

To get the car the way it looks in the picture with 20" rims and Ecotech i bet it will come close to $30,000.

Replying to another comment on this thread, no way will it come under 2600lbs. This car isnt Euro or Japanese, it's American. I am willing to bet anything it comes closer to 3000lbs if not more.

Another thing they're doing to keep the costs low is making this a parts bin car. Taking existing components from other cars and piecing them togther. This will more than likely make it perform poorly especially when it comes to handling. No way will it handle better than a Miata or any other 2 seater for that matter that it's going to compete against.

Akagi Redsuns
06-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Just not feeling it, something about the design I don't like. Sorta reminds me of the Dodge Copperhead concept car/roadster.

Ah well, certainly distinctive, I'll give it that and steps away from the usual boring Saturn products.

403Gemini
06-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
It's called the Pontiac Solstice with a Saturn badge on it. It's a sharp looking car i wont deny it, but the engineering on it seems very light. 20" rims on that car is just stupid. Even the Enzo and Zonda dont use 20" rims and they are super cars. Anyways, it probably wont come standard with those thank God. The supercharge engine wont come standard either.

To get the car the way it looks in the picture with 20" rims and Ecotech i bet it will come close to $30,000.

Replying to another comment on this thread, no way will it come under 2600lbs. This car isnt Euro or Japanese, it's American. I am willing to bet anything it comes closer to 3000lbs if not more.

Another thing they're doing to keep the costs low is making this a parts bin car. Taking existing components from other cars and piecing them togther. This will more than likely make it perform poorly especially when it comes to handling. No way will it handle better than a Miata or any other 2 seater for that matter that it's going to compete against.

supercharge will probably come standard, the saturn ion redline comes standard with the 200 hp supercharged engine

///M3
06-15-2004, 11:24 AM
i likie the rear:thumbsup:

hyperwhite
06-15-2004, 11:57 AM
its alright i guess. i might grow on me. i dunno :dunno:

JCX
06-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Wow, where to start. It looks pretty damn good IMO. Like many concept cars, they tend to come in a little more conservative when production hits. I'd guess the production model will be scaled back a bit in terms of opulence.

I don't know how we can start harping on quality, weight, engineering when the car isn't even out yet. Has anyone actually took a look at JD Power reports in the last 5 years? It's not like they took a 1985 Cadillac Cimmaron and put new bodywork on it. This will be the flagship for the marque so why would they make it a POS. Let's think logically here.

The $20k US pricepoint could be achievable when you think about it. As more vehicles use the boosted Ecotec, the cost per unit goes down. The same applies to the chassis as it will be shared with the Solstice (gogo economies of scale). Further, if they do trim the wheel size to say 18" that will save some $.

What irritates me is if ANY Japanese automaker put out a 2 seat affordable boosted RWD car it would be fap fap fap fap all over the board. All GM divisions want something like the Solstice so I don't doubt it'll come and it will sell.

I'm scared... I think I'd buy one!:cry: :devil:

RiCE-DaDDy
06-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Well there's nothing to be enthusiastic about Saturn, well until now. They kind of look for $20k? odd and cool

syeve
06-15-2004, 03:33 PM
I like it, I think its very cool looking. It will weight ~3200. :)

Skylinelover
06-15-2004, 11:01 PM
That is sweet.

Kamen
06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
It's like a clone of the RX8....the interior is too much I think...yellow brown and grey...like retro colours...

BigMass
06-15-2004, 11:33 PM
yep, i dont like how the American car companies are going to the retro look. Is it too hard to come up with something new and better instead of making money on 40 year old designs? How about some inovation here people. I have also heard from a test drive of the Solstice that the bonnet is tall and obstructs the view of the road. I hate that. My idea of a small sporty car is a low bonnet that lets me see everything infront of me. Strike 2

Cyborg_Gold
03-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Nice concept, it will never be produced by a conservative company like Saturn.

Never be produced by Saturn you say... well, you're wrong. Saturn has recently decided to part with its conservative ways... at least a little. Saturn finally realized that there is a big market out there for sexy, sleek, and stylish cars. There will be a few different cars that will make people say "THAT is a Saturn??" in the near future. The Red Line series, and the basic editions of the Red Line series were experiments. Saturn found out from this little venture, that people will buy their cars if they are more powerful.

What Saturn now appears to be doing is splitting their product line in two directions. In one direction, they are keeping with tradition; well built cars with great milage and comfort. The other direction is of course, better performing cars like the Sky, and Curve.

I expect there will be a "dumbed down" version of both the Sky and Curve released first that will confirm what most people expect... good looks, but still not a performer. After that version is released, the Red Line version will come out, and perform like you couldnt expect... Red Line.

I may be bias, as I own a Saturn, but I have looked into this... it is going to happen.

finboy
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
the roof looks like a probe :dunno:

Phy
03-17-2005, 07:03 PM
^ Which isn't a bad thing, if you liked the roof on the Probe.

xcelr8
03-18-2005, 04:03 PM
IMO it looks like a hybrid of a rx8, a probe, and the batmobile, lol

Xtrema
03-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Cyborg_Gold
What Saturn now appears to be doing is splitting their product line in two directions. In one direction, they are keeping with tradition; well built cars with great milage and comfort. The other direction is of course, better performing cars like the Sky, and Curve.

I don't think so. I think GM is pushing Saturn upward.

Brandwise, Saturn aims to be Honda/Toyota but end up to be Kia. They need to clean it up and push it back to where they want to position it before.

ZZT23
03-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Phy
^ Which isn't a bad thing, if you liked the roof on the Probe.

The probes look awsome!

The styling of the Curve is so... old man...ish, especially the front with that grill that looks like a 300C, imo they should make a more angry expression. Wonder why won't it have plastic body panels anymore?