PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu voiding warrantys for participation in motorsports

4wheeldrift
06-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I hope they don't think denying all these warranty claims is going to keep Mitsu USA from going bankrupt this year...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=83525

Lennon
06-15-2004, 09:38 PM
I believe someone posted about this earlier.

Redlyne_mr2
06-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah Subaru and Honda do it too. All the Suby and s2K guys had their plates and vins taped up at the auto-x over the weekend

4wheeldrift
06-15-2004, 09:41 PM
I've never had any warranty issues with my sub and I've beat the living hell out of it at the track and in solo2, rallycrosses... bout the only thing I haven't done with it is drag raced. I was up front with the dealer about what i was using the car for and they never gave me any trouble except to ask if I broke the car at the track the one time it went in for warranty work.

GTS Jeff
06-15-2004, 09:57 PM
wow, that guy bought his son a mitsu evo for scca!!!

2000impreza
06-15-2004, 10:10 PM
i was reading a thread on evolutionm.net not too long ago about mitsu hiring private detectives to investigate and void the warranty for people racing their evo's :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
06-15-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I've never had any warranty issues with my sub and I've beat the living hell out of it at the track and in solo2, rallycrosses... bout the only thing I haven't done with it is drag raced. I was up front with the dealer about what i was using the car for and they never gave me any trouble except to ask if I broke the car at the track the one time it went in for warranty work.
I guess times have changed:( I was also at Shannonville over the weekend and there was a group of 8 subies. They all either had their plates taped or removed as well

Weapon_R
06-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Great way to get people to look at your vehicles, Mitsu :thumbsup:

Maybe it's just me, but isn't the huge return of Hyundai due to the fact that it kisses customer ass to get a sale? Cheap cars, reliable, and an awesome warranty are a winning combination - maybe Mitsu should try that instead of going after its own customers.

That.Guy.S30
06-16-2004, 12:19 AM
i think what they do is wrong but look at it from their side. ppl buy these cars bash the shit out of them and when something goes wrong they go to the dealership and say it broke instead of saying they broke it. if you play you gotta pay is the saying.

donz
06-16-2004, 01:03 AM
and Honestly, I think they voided the warrenty inorder to keep mitsu USA alive!!! tracking any car can't be good for manufacturers, even if it is stock. Don't get me wrong, I think mitsu should stand behind all their cars, even if it is driven hard, they do testing on the cars under hard circumstances, so they know how well their cars are built. If they can't handle it maybe they should R&D better cars!!!

bighead2267
06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
is that means they don't have enough confidence on their product?

Dj_Stylz
06-16-2004, 10:50 AM
That really sucks

Mckenzie
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
i think what they do is wrong but look at it from their side. ppl buy these cars bash the shit out of them and when something goes wrong they go to the dealership and say it broke instead of saying they broke it. if you play you gotta pay is the saying.

But how can someone who hears about "race inspired" cars and who sees the rally/racey commercials on TV not want to bag their car? All those cars do is scream performance......what else are they geared towards? A luxurious drive in the country? I dont think so. If I bought a car that was designed to be driven hard, I would drive it hard or if I wanted to pussy foot I would buy a cadillac or something boaty.

This reminds me of the problems with the E46 M3 engine in early years. BMW was trying to deny claims because they said it was "not zee car sir, its dee driva" when it was a common problem.

Warranty issues like that really piss me off....

Weapon_R
06-17-2004, 06:09 PM

Not how I read it. When they are selling these cars, specifically the Eclipse, as a sports car, it should perform accordingly. And they won't warranty it?? Great, i'll take two! :rolleyes:

Swaying customers away from warranty repairs is NOT the way to gain customers. Potential customers are already put off with not knowing whether buying a new Mitsu will even be serviced in 1-2 years....

4wheeldrift
06-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Well and the biggest thing is, we're talking about solo 2 here. At its most challenging solo 2 is no tougher on your car then spirited street driving. You can drive the shit out of your car on the street, but you try and do it in a safe enviroment and the dealer bends you over the hood and gives it to you. So much for the responsible enthusiast :thumbsdow

dishrag
06-18-2004, 09:09 AM
I hope they don't think denying all these warranty claims is going to keep Mitsu USA from going bankrupt this year...

Riiiiight. Cuz they stand to make to make so much money fixing people's cars when they bag them at the track...

heavyD
06-18-2004, 09:59 AM
This thread is retarded. No car company warranties passenger vehicles that are abused. Have you ever taken a brand new 4X4 offroad, beat the shit out of it and tried to get warranty? The dealership will laugh at you, why would it be any different for racing your car?

QuasarCav
06-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Well and the biggest thing is, we're talking about solo 2 here. At its most challenging solo 2 is no tougher on your car then spirited street driving. You can drive the shit out of your car on the street, but you try and do it in a safe enviroment and the dealer bends you over the hood and gives it to you. So much for the responsible enthusiast :thumbsdow

wont they get you if you abuse it anywhere?

abusing it on the street is the same as abusing on the track, but it's easier to catch you when your participation is documented.

If you were to take your car for a spirited (crazy) run through the mountains and you blow a gear wouldn't that be the same as blowing something on the course? They are goignt o get you either way.

That.Guy.S30
06-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Not how I read it. When they are selling these cars, specifically the Eclipse, as a sports car, it should perform accordingly. And they won't warranty it?? Great, i'll take two! :rolleyes:

Swaying customers away from warranty repairs is NOT the way to gain customers. Potential customers are already put off with not knowing whether buying a new Mitsu will even be serviced in 1-2 years....

hey i said it was wrong but do you know how many ppl come to dealerships saying that this is broken and they "dont know how it happened". now ppl when they are caught abusing their cars when they want something fixed get caught and hooped. cant really say much when its videotaped.

That.Guy.S30
06-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

But how can someone who hears about "race inspired" cars and who sees the rally/racey commercials on TV not want to bag their car? All those cars do is scream performance......what else are they geared towards? A luxurious drive in the country? I dont think so. If I bought a car that was designed to be driven hard, I would drive it hard or if I wanted to pussy foot I would buy a cadillac or something boaty.

This reminds me of the problems with the E46 M3 engine in early years. BMW was trying to deny claims because they said it was "not zee car sir, its dee driva" when it was a common problem.

Warranty issues like that really piss me off....

The EVO's and STi's have rally heritage as you probably know but i havent seen one subaru commerical or mitsubishi comercail that has displayed any rally clips. i watch the wrc relgiously and i can see your piont of view but their are some ppl who think these cars are invincable street racing machines just because their cars are based off wrc cars, thats when the cars get abused to shit.

C4S
06-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I think it a a good idea to "warn" some people too ...

Of course, when doing any warranty claim, don't tell those service people you took the car for race .. etc ..

Just like some silly aftermarket upgrade, can easily void the warranty ! ( such as even put 19" wheel on a civc with 14" stock wheel )

:zzz:

4wheeldrift
06-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
wont they get you if you abuse it anywhere?

abusing it on the street is the same as abusing on the track, but it's easier to catch you when your participation is documented.

If you were to take your car for a spirited (crazy) run through the mountains and you blow a gear wouldn't that be the same as blowing something on the course? They are goignt o get you either way. The onus is on the dealership to prove that the failure was the result of "abuse" and you can define abuse in any number of different ways. BMW giving M3 owners the shaft is a perfect example, they claimed many of the cars were "abused" and denied warranty work when in actual fact it was parts related mechanical failure that was causing the problem. Car manufacturers will screw you any way they can manage.

And incidentally I don't define "spirited" driving as crazy. You can drive a car hard and fast and be in control. Crazy driving is people who aren't in control and driving hard and fast, and those are the people who are really dangerous.

rage2
06-18-2004, 02:08 PM
The EVO's and STi's have rally heritage as you probably know but i havent seen one subaru commerical or mitsubishi comercail that has displayed any rally clips. i watch the wrc relgiously and i can see your piont of view but their are some ppl who think these cars are invincable street racing machines just because their cars are based off wrc cars, thats when the cars get abused to shit.
Subaru has a commercial where their WRC rally car is drifting thru a dirt road, and it morphs into the street car continuing to do the same.

Mitsubishi has a commercial that shows their evolution WRC car tearing shit up, and shows the street car afterwards. I haven't seen a mitsu commercial where they tear shit up on the track or dirt road.

///M3
06-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Subaru has a commercial where their WRC rally car is drifting thru a dirt road, and it morphs into the street car continuing to do the same.

Mitsubishi has a commercial that shows their evolution WRC car tearing shit up, and shows the street car afterwards. I haven't seen a mitsu commercial where they tear shit up on the track or dirt road.

Ya there always a little bit of wrc in subaru commercials. They also say 0-60 in 5.4, so whos not gonna wanna try that.

ehos
06-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Satan is evil! Of course they'll look for ways to void warranty, but I don't see why they do it?

They get paid by the head office to fix stuff people bring in, so what's the big deal? It's not like they will lose any money.

Second, if I was Mitsu, I would de-tune the high end cars (like EVO), with a very simple mod, or some computer code. If some 'tuner' messed with it, bling, warranty gone.

That way if your regular joe is 'bagging' (which is stupid, how do you 'bag' a 50K car?), and something goes wrong, it's still covered (as long as he hasn't messed with your de-tuner).

If he has, oh well. Too bad so sad.

There's a motorcycle manufacturer that has this exact policy (I think it's triumphs and their restrictive boxes, not sure though).

That.Guy.S30
06-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by rage2

really?? i havent seen that comerical before. ill just take my words back thank you.. lol

dishrag
06-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by ehos

They get paid by the head office to fix stuff people bring in, so what's the big deal? It's not like they will lose any money.

Where do you think the money from "head office" comes from, dumbass? Magic? If Mitsu goes broke giving dealers free parts, guess what, the dealer goes broke too. No offense but you are one dumb cuss.

FYI, getting parts fixed free that break in the course of racing is called a "sponsorship". A Mitsubishi warranty is not a racing sponsorship.