PDA

View Full Version : Working on your own car..

TalonVelocity
06-15-2004, 09:49 PM
So where did you learn? I dont wanna frikkin pay for retarded labor costs.. lol, thx

GTS Jeff
06-15-2004, 10:01 PM
just jump into it and get your hands dirty. im not the kind of person who enjoys mechanics at all, but im poor, so i try to do what i can on my own.

most of the things i know how to do (not that much haha) ive learned from friends helping me out. beyond is a great resource imo. there are a lot of people here who are willing to meet another car enthusiast and help them work on their cars.

cocoabrova
06-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I started by having to rebuild the motor in my first vehicle, which was given to me by my parents with a blown engine. After that, I'd just go the junkyards and start pulling shit apart, to see how things worked/came apart/went back together. Along with the craploads of info on the net, there should be no reason why more ppl. can't work on their own (older) vehicles.

TalonVelocity
06-15-2004, 10:05 PM
I was thinking of just buying a total beater, taking EVERYTHING apart, and putting it back together.. Im sure that cant be too ridiculously hard, just that when your engine conks, how will you know what's wrong?

dishrag
06-16-2004, 11:11 AM
shop manual breaks it down step-by-step, from changing the oil to rebuilding the transmission. I cross-reference the dealer manual with a Haynes, if there is a contradiction, I go by what the dealer manual says. But that way you get all kinds of pics, drawings and explanations written 2 ways.

1badPT
06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah a Haynes manual and a shop manual will give you everything you need. Haynes manuals are usually easier for the beginner but the shop manual includes all technical information so if you run into a problem you can go to the shop manual and usually figure it out.

Plus get to know a few people who have a similar car either on this forum or a car specific forum - they can usually help out too. Remember the Hayes manual and shop manual will show you how to rebuild your car to stock spec whereas owner's clubs and friends with the same car as you will be better sources of information when it comes to modding.

I'm assuming you have a DSM by your username so I'm sure you'll get a post in this thread by CycloneAWD to give you some links to some DSM sites.

GL :thumbsup:

TalonVelocity
06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
actually no this is an OLLLD username, Im gettin an mkII golf :)

euro_racer
06-16-2004, 04:12 PM
hahah, i took apart a 91 civic when i was 15 and now im taking apart a 97 golf, its soo fun and you learn soo much:thumbsup:

90240br
06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Nissan factory service manual, tons of tools in the garage (always use the right tools, if you have them its really easy in the long run) and i grew up with a bunch of car enthusiasts, talk to other owners of the same car, plus i like taking shit apart and eventually it works:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
06-16-2004, 04:16 PM
I usually do ALL my own repairs\maintenance unless it requires tools that I do not own (ie an engine hoist, etc). If a mechanic can do it, there is no real reason why I shouldn't be able to do it too. The internet is a GREAT invention - there is little you cannot find out by doing a search. Most technical boards (ie honda-tech.com) have very knowledgeable people who do writeups on their experiences with repairs and maintenance, along with pictures, so you just have to know how to look at a picture and follow directions.

EK 2.0
06-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Yeah a Haynes manual and a shop manual will give you everything you need. Haynes manuals are usually easier for the beginner but the shop manual includes all technical information so if you run into a problem you can go to the shop manual and usually figure it out.

Plus get to know a few people who have a similar car either on this forum or a car specific forum - they can usually help out too. Remember the Hayes manual and shop manual will show you how to rebuild your car to stock spec whereas owner's clubs and friends with the same car as you will be better sources of information when it comes to modding.

I'm assuming you have a DSM by your username so I'm sure you'll get a post in this thread by CycloneAWD to give you some links to some DSM sites.

GL :thumbsup:

whats that supposed to mean??:D

I basically did exactly what 1badPT said...and plus i went to SAIT and too auto in high school...and having a pops who is a retired mechanic helps a lot too...

Redlyne_mr2
06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
The actually work is pretty easy...it does suck though when you need special service tools. I think the worst part about DIY is diagnosing certain problems. With todays modern vehicles and all their electronics DIY is getting much more difficult

Speed_Dreams
06-16-2004, 04:43 PM
I was into cars right from when i was little. and when i was 8 my dad and i would work on the old malibu that weve got. and that got me into muscle cars. but i have thus tranformed into liking imports way better. just taking stuff apart and putting it back togeather is a great way to learn.

Dogg
06-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I usually do ALL my own repairs\maintenance unless it requires tools that I do not own (ie an engine hoist, etc). If a mechanic can do it, there is no real reason why I shouldn't be able to do it too. The internet is a GREAT invention - there is little you cannot find out by doing a search. Most technical boards (ie honda-tech.com) have very knowledgeable people who do writeups on their experiences with repairs and maintenance, along with pictures, so you just have to know how to look at a picture and follow directions.

I agree with Weapon. There is a real satisfaction to doing it yourself. When I need a tool I go buy it or rent it. The things that are needed are good light and a dry, comfortable place to work. Wrenching out in the gravel driveway, in the drizzle, can be an unpleasant experience.

Remember this: Right to tighten, Left to loosen.

max_boost
06-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I'd love to learn and work on my own car, if I had more time that is. I'm busy enough with a more than full time job, getting the hands greasy just doesn't fit into the schedule.

Props to those who can work on their own rides though!:thumbsup:

Dogg
06-17-2004, 10:30 PM
What would you say are the very easiest cars to work on?

My vote goes to 1972 & older VW Beetles, from my own experience, however I do recall the ease of maintaining a beloved old Datsun 510 wagon a few years back.

rice_eater
06-18-2004, 12:48 AM
i bought a haynes manual and eventually worked my way through everything, though a factory service manual would be a way better choice