PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Martial Arts advice....

ZorroAMG
06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I am looking to take some form of martial art with a certain goal in mind:

To strengthen and develop a more disciplined and flexible body structure
---->leading to gaining knowledge of my body's performance limits
---->leading to confidence to help with the physical aspect of my acting career
---->leading to expanding my resume for acting and for self.

What I am looking for is some advice as to WHICH form of the art would be suitable to give me a very well rounded base of the main aspects, ie. hand combat, weaponry, etc, without having any prior experience.

I realize that it will not happen over night and I am willing to dedicate myself to it as it is very important for me to help futher my career, but I want to save a bit of time and money not trying a bunch of arts that are less effective or helpful for achieving my goal.

Stage combat/fighting is something I will be going into as it is specific for stage and film, but I want to develop prior to it.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give those that can help, a clear picture of what I am trying to accomplish...

Thanks in advance

sputnik
06-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Hapkido (www.flyingeaglehapkido.com)

I have found Hapkido to be the most well rounded of martial arts styles and focuses on REAL fighting not competition fighting. The areas you will study are...

- Ground fighting
- Punching/Kicking
- Self Defense
- Joint Locks
- Pressure Points
- Throws/Falls

Master Langin at Flying Eagle is a 5th Degree Dan (Black Belt) who was trained by his master in Korea. His master Lee Chang Soo is the founder of the Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido (www.jinjungkwan.com - watch the videos) style and has dozens of schools around the world. He was just in Calgary a few weeks ago and kicked the CRAP of out Master Langin (not bad for a 5'7 guy in his 60s) Master Langin is also the head of the Korea Hapkido Federation for Canada and has 3 of his own schools in Canada (but is in the Calgary school 95% of the time) and is responsible for maintaining the Hapkido curriculum and keeping it as traditional as possible.

In terms of acting Hapkido is also VERY useful as it is what Jackie Chan and others have studied for movie fighting. Once you are familiar with the Hapkido style you will begin to recognize it all over the place. The Die Hard 2 "wing fight" comes to mind. Weaponry fighting is generally reserved for Black Belts however it is sometimes taught on a casual level. Defence from weapons is quite common though, as Hapkido was refined as the Korean Military's form of unarmed combat.

ZorroAMG
06-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Awesome, thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for....

Anyone else have ideas, discussion on which would be better, pros and cons?

Thanks

Khyron
06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Hrm Jiu-jitsu and hapkido don't sound like what you're looking for IMO - it's more military/police style that doesn't look very pretty.

You might enjoy Akido - it's more traditional, and you get to try boken (wooden swords) along with short staffs. Stephen Segal is Akido.

Another would be Wushu - more artsy than practical but that's what looks good in the movies.

And tai-kwon-do would be good for fitness, flexibility and cool looking kicks.

Most schools will give you free classes to try it out - I'd look at a few and see what you like. There are a lot of crappy schools out there so don't judge a whole style based on a school though.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
06-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

Khyron: Sputnik gave me a link to a Hapkido school that he thought would be good, do you recommend any particular Akido and Wushu schools?

turbo_equiped
06-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Hapkido (www.flyingeaglehapkido.com)

I have found Hapkido to be the most well rounded of martial arts styles and focuses on REAL fighting not competition fighting. The areas you will study are...

- Ground fighting
- Punching/Kicking
- Self Defense
- Joint Locks
- Pressure Points
- Throws/Falls

Master Langin at Flying Eagle is a 5th Degree Dan (Black Belt) who was trained by his master in Korea. His master Lee Chang Soo is the founder of the Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido (www.jinjungkwan.com - watch the videos) style and has dozens of schools around the world. He was just in Calgary a few weeks ago and kicked the CRAP of out Master Langin (not bad for a 5'7 guy in his 60s) Master Langin is also the head of the Korea Hapkido Federation for Canada and has 3 of his own schools in Canada (but is in the Calgary school 95% of the time) and is responsible for maintaining the Hapkido curriculum and keeping it as traditional as possible.

In terms of acting Hapkido is also VERY useful as it is what Jackie Chan and others have studied for movie fighting. Once you are familiar with the Hapkido style you will begin to recognize it all over the place. The Die Hard 2 "wing fight" comes to mind. Weaponry fighting is generally reserved for Black Belts however it is sometimes taught on a casual level. Defence from weapons is quite common though, as Hapkido was refined as the Korean Military's form of unarmed combat.

where can you learn that in Calgary? where do they hold classes and stuff? anyone has any idea about how much these usually are?
thanks in advance

Fuji
06-16-2004, 04:33 PM
if its mainly for acting..... maybe you should invest in acting classes first??? My assumption would be that you will probably need that more than anything, considering they will provide you with proper instruction for which ever "action role" you may fill.

If its for fitness, who cares try them all its not like its detrimental

sillyd
06-16-2004, 04:53 PM
For Aikido, check out Calgary Aikikai. I studied there a few years ago. If it's hasn't changed too much i would highly recommend them.

turbo_equiped
06-16-2004, 04:56 PM
What about that Hapkido thing? i want to check this out. where in calgary? i bet sputnik knows. also, where is this Calgary Aikikai?

ZorroAMG
06-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
if its mainly for acting..... maybe you should invest in acting classes first??? My assumption would be that you will probably need that more than anything, considering they will provide you with proper instruction for which ever "action role" you may fill.

Umm thanks tips LOL I have been studying various acting techniques for quite a while.....you didn't read my first post fully did you?

Sillyd, thanks i'll check them out...

Any recommendations from anyone for wushu?

Turbo equipped: try clicking the link that sputnik provided...:tongue:

Khyron
06-16-2004, 06:24 PM
http://www.calgaryaikikai.com/ - they are at Southland Leisure Center (you don't need to pay admission). My jiu-jitsu school works in the same room at different times though so make sure you go to the right one.

I don't personally know of any Wushu schools in Calgary but a quick google found this one:

http://members.tripod.com/shaolinwushu/calgary.htm

I'm also getting into Iado which is very traditional art that deals with the drawing of a sword. Unfortunately there's no school in Calgary.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
:thumbsup:

Gonthro
06-17-2004, 08:15 AM
i did a short 3 week course in Jiu-jitsu IMO that was the most worth while thing i could have done with those 3 weeks, what i learned just left me thursting for more.

ZorroAMG
06-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Jiu-jitsu huh? I'll check it out, thanks :)

sputnik
06-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by turbo_equiped

where can you learn that in Calgary? where do they hold classes and stuff? anyone has any idea about how much these usually are?
thanks in advance

click the link...

www.flyingeaglehapkido.com (they are on 19th st NE at 32nd Ave NE)

Loose
06-17-2004, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't waste time with things like Aikido, or any other grappling based martial art. You should be looking for a style based on striking, probably kung fu based since it is the most showy/pretty. I'm sure some of the kung fu places teach weapons also.

Sorry I can't help you with a gym, I don't know of any.

sputnik
06-17-2004, 09:53 AM
I guess it really depends on what kind of martial arts acting Zorro wishes to do. Pure martial arts movies that are very "showy" and elegant will probably be out of the question as it would be unreasonable to take a few years of martial arts and then expect to get such a role. Also most martial arts actors/actresses have been studying martial arts since they were children and it is truly what completely consumes them.

I figured that Zorro would be looking for something that would give him some experience fighting on a more raw level (street fighting style) so that he doesnt look like an idiot when he needs to "defend" himself or kick the crap out of someone.

Khyron
06-17-2004, 10:28 AM
http://www.nexus-point.net/forums/throw1.jpg

Akido isn't grappling - it's showy, and easier to get good enough to look decent at than say, Kung Fu. As mentioned the Akido and my Jiu-jitsu school are both at the Southland Leisure center, and you're welcome to try it out - I just don't think a street level self defence fits in with what he listed above. We don't do hard cardio - you can do our class even in poor shape. I suppose learning how to fall might be useful to him.

Anyways ours is:

http://members.shaw.ca/gojiujitsu/index_page0001.htm

Though just to mix things up we're doing weapons only on Mondays.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Ok, so yesterday, I sat and watched the adult class at Calgary Aikikai and was intrigued with what I saw. They learn balance and movement, take down methods, hand against sword and some throws. This class looks interesting, the price and schedule is good (70$/month go as often as you want) 250 for the frist 3 months and a gi (is that spelled right?) Thursdays they do weapons, which I will sit thru tonight.

There is no kicking or punching really in Aikido though and do you guys think that I should also learn basics in that? Perhaps Jiu Jitsu or Hapkido? Would it be unwise to take two at a time?

Thanks!

As for movies, yeah I understand that I will never reach the skill level or calibre of a Jet Li or even Jackie Chan without years of dedication, I just want to have the basics and ability to throw kicks, punches, block, throw and use weapons without looking like a n00b, as Sputnik iterated....

Khyron
06-17-2004, 03:51 PM
You don't need to take 2 arts at once - Friday in the same room (assuming you were at southland) is ours. 2 hours, from 6-8 first 45 mins is a new cardio workout we're trying out - can come for that or just the last 75 mins. We have joint locks, throws, strikes, ground etc but we don't do it all in 1 class obviously.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
06-17-2004, 05:37 PM
I have one of the more important advanced acting classes on fridays from 7 to 11pm that I can't miss so I will definitely come by in two weeks when the semester is over. Thanks for the help!

BTW the class I watched yesterday was at the 507 36th Ave SW location, not southland

Drew
06-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey my new best friend i actually have some good advice for you. I second the hapkido notion. I trained at Master Ki C Yoons in the strip mall on 34th ave and roughly 16-19st for a couple years and honestly if you want something well rounded you should sit for an adult class there. I don't train anymore cause i broke my wrist a while back and just stopped after that but they teach you kicks from taikwondo, punching techiques from boxing as well as karate and judo throws etc. But something else they teach you well is rolls, and how to take falls etc. Which is something i'm sure other disciplines teach but i only know what i have experience in. They also teach techniques for if people grab you certain ways to basically fuck em up..ha so ya thats my 2 cents on the issue.

sputnik
06-17-2004, 09:18 PM
[edited - my apologies]

Master Langin is VERY friendly and is also passionate about Hapkido (he turned down medical school to teach Hapkido instead) and is ALWAYS willing to answer ANY questions and frequently stays late to help people learn.

ZorroAMG
06-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Wow, thanks for all the very useful info everyone! I will check out Master Langin's class next week, and thanks Sputnik for the shady classes heads up :)

turbo_equiped
06-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

click the link...

www.flyingeaglehapkido.com (they are on 19th st NE at 32nd Ave NE)

iight cool thanks a lot man!:thumbsup:

Jynx
06-20-2004, 08:44 PM
try ninjitsu, they do a shtload of stuff on weapons throws flexibility and stand up stuff

i duno actually ..thats the only place i could think of that'll give you weapons training like movie style stuff

GSR Zero
06-23-2004, 10:45 AM
I've been taking Bak Mei (White Eyebrow) for years now and highly recommend it. If you are interested, let me know. Our school is in the NE, 23rd Street and 42nd Avenue.

abc1
06-23-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.shaolinwushu.ca/index.htm

I used to be taught by them. I learned many things from them and had fun. Don't know if they till do it anymore since I don't live in Calgary.

ZorroAMG
06-23-2004, 05:04 PM
I phoned the guy for Shaolin Wushu and he didn't seem like he really wanted to teach me...kinda was a dick to me...LOL

abc1
06-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I phoned the guy for Shaolin Wushu and he didn't seem like he really wanted to teach me...kinda was a dick to me...LOL

Sorry to here that you got that treatment, but the person that taught me was name Jeremey, (probably not the guy that answerd the phone). He came to where I lived and taught me for over 2 years (now back in Calgary). The person that you talked on the phone I don't have a clue who it is.

atmosphere
07-04-2004, 09:19 AM
I wanted to reply on sputniks above comments

This couldn't be farther from the truth sputnik doesn't know what hes talking about. Its really disrespectful and immature to be spreading lies just so people will go to your Master Wade Langin. If you believe your masters good then by all means recommend him but that doesn't mean you talk shit about the other masters in Calgary. Especially when you don't back up what you say with some credibility or proof.

These are the two Masters credentials (sputniks and mine) it doesn't mean a lot but it is perhaps a better reason to choose between the two clubs then what sputnik provided:

Master Langin: 5th Degree Dan in Hapkdio

Master Park: 9th Degree Dan in Hapkido, 5th Dan in Tae Kwon-Do, a 4th Dan in Kum Sul-Do and 4th in Judo

Master Park also personally runs 2 Hapkido locations in Calgary, hardly shady every few saturdays we have big b.b.q's where Master Parks gets to show off his chef skills as well. I've never known such a family atmosphere to be called shady. Sputnik for all this board knows with your anonymous posting your the one with the sexual assualt charges and the link to organized crime (although I don't think any organized crime syndicate would affiliate with an anonymous coward talking shit). For anyone other than sputnik reading this I suggest going around to a few Hapkido clubs and just preview them and decide which would be right for you instead of listening to anonymous 12 year olds.

rogue
07-08-2004, 12:08 AM
i am extremely interested in Wushu for balance and exersice as well as dicsipline. I am wondering if anyone on the boards takes wushu right now so i can come check out a class. I have taken Ninjitsu and i will tell ya now it is not a pretty art. It is all kill moves and bonebreaking techniques as well as grabs and pressure points (it wasnt my cup of tea but i took it for a year and a bit). Flying eagle is great i took a month of that when it was on centre street but my job changed hours so i couldnt pursue so now i want Wushu since it has so much history and i have never taken a Chinese art. 2 korean and one japanese i say it is time to try chinese:D

rogue
07-08-2004, 12:13 AM
i just wanted to add i trained with master Langin and he was a great, friendly and helpful individual that would not want anything more then to help. Also met master Park and he is also a great guy so you have to make up your own mind just go sit in a class and see what you think.

rockym20
07-12-2004, 10:52 PM
There actually is a school just starting up in Aido. They use the same factility as one of the fencing clubs in the NE. I didn't check it out, but one of my co-workers did. She said it is basically Tai-Chi (which she teaches) with a stick. It is very slow, and they don't do any actually cutting in this school.

hatetank
07-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Maybe its because I am caucasian but any flavour of Kung Fu or Karate isn't going to do you any good in the real world.

Go sign up for kickboxing and combine that with a form of jiu-jitsu for groundwork and submissions and your good to go.

sexualbanana
07-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

If its for fitness, who cares try them all its not like its detrimental

Dude, have you seen a lot of the action movies?? No acting skill required. :D

nj2Type-S
07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
I've taken Tae Kwon Do and Aikido but neither one really appealed to me much. Tae Kwon Do is too showy in such that you really can't use it in real life. Aikido isn't bad but if you're going to use this for "acting", i don't think this is "showy" at all...just basic grabs, throws and locks...not much kicking or punching at all....btw, i also went to calgary aikikai but that was yrs ago...lol, they used to be located in the industrial area by blackfoot trail but someone mentioned that they're in southland now? *shrugs* well g'luck! :)

joseph
07-17-2004, 12:58 AM
^^^I didn't know u did all that kinda stuff. We should spar sometime. Then i can get back at u for whipping me with ur rsx. :rofl:

And yah like nj2_types said Taekwondo is really good for flash if u want it for acting or wushu which is what jet li does. Taekwondo is really easy to learn never tried wushu though so im not sure about that one.

nj2Type-S
07-17-2004, 01:03 AM
lol yea i did a couple of em...didn't last long w/ tae kwon do as i didnt like showy things; wanted to keep low key w/ it...lol....so i just got lazy w/ it....then w/ aikido i got a back injury lol...tried gettin back to it but just not enough time on my hands...haha..maybe i'll try muai thai next time...lol...if i dont get lazy ahhaha

Toma
07-26-2004, 02:51 PM
90% of the martial arts coordinated footwork scenes you see in the movies are Tae Kwon Do. Take it from a traditional master like JJ Lee here in town, and your form will be nicer then the more common "olympic" form which is more like kick boxing/tournament style.

However, there is no weapons training there.

If you just wanna learn to beat the snot out of someone, forget martial farts, and learn to box....

yk_
08-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Hm I noticed a few ppl asked about Wushu but didn't get many answers or maybe I missed them.

But anyways, if you are looking for a wushu school in calgary, there are 3 main ones that I know of. There is the Cultural Center, there is Calgary Tai Chi and Martial ARts College and there is also Ji Jhong Tai Chi.

J.D
09-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG I am not sure the conversation you had with Mr. Tan, but you have to understand that he truly is a traditionalist, and is very selective of his students. On many occassion it seem like he wants you to train somewhere, else, but essentially he is testing to see if you are truley interested.

If you are still intrested in studying with Tan feel free to contact me at [email protected]

LUDELVR
09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Toma
90% of the martial arts coordinated footwork scenes you see in the movies are Tae Kwon Do. Take it from a traditional master like JJ Lee here in town, and your form will be nicer then the more common "olympic" form which is more like kick boxing/tournament style.

However, there is no weapons training there.

If you just wanna learn to beat the snot out of someone, forget martial farts, and learn to box....

haha, this is so true! If you want to kick (or rather punch) the shit outta someone, take boxing. You'll also get toned so much quicker since it revolves around body conditioning. Either that or thai kick boxing.

As for the taekwondo thing, that's for sure. I've been doing it for ages and it's very flashy when it's in front of a camera...I've made some pretty sweet videos....some cool kicking and fighting videos too! ;) :thumbsup: haha,

As for you toma...all you need to do is say "MOVE" and the fucker who's trying to fight you is gone! :eek: :rofl:

Jumper
09-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey ZorroAMG,

I know it has been a while since you posted this thread but I will back up some previous oppinions that Hapkido is a great avenue for an acting career. Look at Billy Jack, Jackie Chan, Westley Snipes ect.

The joint lock and standing grappling applications of Hapkido are going to get more and more popular in movies as audiences are borred of just kicking and punching. Also the break falls are great to know for doing some of your own stunts.

Some of you above may guess who this is writing this reply by this story...shh

This summer we did an outdoor Hapkido demonstration and I ended up doing a movie stunt for a director who was in the crowd and also got signed up with an agency. The agency is also hiring me to teach fight scenes to some extras.

Jumper
09-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey GSR Zero,

You have an awsome Sifu at that school. If anyone is interested in pure raw Kung Fu it is a great place to go.

Jumper

sputnik
09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Jumper

Some of you above may guess who this is writing this reply by this story...shh

Who do you train under?

Jumper
09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Sputnik,

Calgary is blessed to have many genuine Martial Arts masters and Grand Masters in our small city. Grand Master Park, Grand Master B.O. Yoon, Grand Master JJ Lee (TKD not HKD but still respected greatly). And many more.

I have personally met dozens of Korean Masters who consider it an opportunity of a lifetime to travel to Calgary to train with some of these Grand Masters. I have also met some of the most famous Grand Masters in the world who consider them to be personal friends or family.

When your school opened up a few years ago I looked up the qualifications of the instructor. Since both the main HKD schools in Calgary respect the lineage of Master Langin, I hope that school will help promote HKD in Calgary. I even sent some friends to train at that school because they lived near your location.

Jumper

sputnik
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Easy there. I was just trying to warn people from going down the same path that friends of mine had gone down.

I respect ZorroAMG's search for information and if friends of mine have been burned at specific schools I would hate for him to go though the same experience (wasted time, money and being overall frustrated with a lackluster education).

I do however regret going into the level of detail that I had to help my statements and wish only the best for those seeking out an education in Hapkido.

This is something that really should have been dealt with using PM.

ZorroAMG
09-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info Jumper :)

Kona9
09-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Zorro Zorro Zorro........I could save you so much time and money. All you would have to do is pay attention to everything I do while I am kicking your ass, up to the point where you get knocked out. Now depending on the severity of the concussion you recieve, I suggest we video tape the ass kicking so once you have recovered, all you have ot do is act out what I do on the video. You know, kinda like Tai Bo (sp?)
Seeing As I am a Ninja....I would do that for you!!

Kidding......good to see you being this serious about your acting career. Good luck man!!:angel:

ZorroAMG
09-21-2004, 03:33 PM
^^Kona, you Jackass! :D

Jumper
09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey turbo_equiped,

Hap KI Do is a very well rounded art. I like to call it very agressivley defensive. I would suggest you go visit a few schools and make your decision.

Grand Master Park, South 252-1151, North 242-3550

Grand Master B.O. Yoon 273-5900

Master Langin - see link posted by Sputnik

Master Carl Tate 284-2251 (officialy Tang Soo Do which is spun from the same origins as Hap Ki Do)

Ki C. Yoon 243-0343

Best of luck,

Jumper

motto_adrenelin
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
if your looking for a place up in the N.w there tae of peace that's in varsity thats hap ki do and there's another one by the liqure barn by market mall. I suggest if you want to be trained well and can put up the hurt I would go to that one. He a very hard on his students but good and then there the one in silver springs by teh cop shop. These are all hap ki do trained under all these instructers they all just went there on ways and made there on studio :thumbsup:

GSR Zero
09-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Jumper
Hey GSR Zero,

You have an awsome Sifu at that school. If anyone is interested in pure raw Kung Fu it is a great place to go.

Jumper

Hey Jumper,

Thanks for the comments. I've been with Sifu Lau now for over 10 years and he has taught me a lot. Come on by and check it out.

GSR

Hollywood
10-01-2004, 01:48 PM
I have tried a few.

Kung Fu I thought was the most combat oriented. Heart punch 4thewin!

But temple kung fu is a rip off so I quit. But I might try something else soon.

For me the closer to my house the better, as I will be more motivated.