PDA

View Full Version : Newbie With Questions About AB Laws

SilverStampeder
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey folks! I'm new here, and I'm in need of information.

I'm starting off with a well-maintained 89 Buick LeSabre, and I'm looking to make some modifications, but I'm murky on the laws of the road.

I tried emailing Calgary's finest, but they don't seem to have a clue as to what's legal, and they simply referred me to some AB gov't site full of mumbo-jumbo, but no real definitions of what you can and cannot do.

For instance:

Blocking off windows - One of the mods I'm considering would include replacing the windows of the rear doors, and possibly the rear windscreen, with sheet metal. Is this legal, or am I asking for trouble with this? I *THOUGHT* all I had to do was make sure I had some beefier side mirrors, and make sure the front door windows and front windshield were unobstructed. Can anyone help me?

Bodywork modifications - If I were looking to, say, add a bit of sculptural interest to the front of the vehicle, without adding any impediments to my view (we're talking 3-6 inches tall on the front of the hood, just above the headlights), am I going to be pulled over every five minutes?

If anyone can help to answer these questions for me, or point me in the right direction as far as finding the info, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

-TSS

Gonthro
06-16-2004, 12:16 PM
as for the rear windows, youshould be fine covering them, as some vehicles IE cargo vans, have only 3 windows, the windshield, and the 2 side windows, so i dont see why they would ticket you for covering them... but im no laywer so dont quote me.

SilverStampeder
06-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
as for the rear windows, youshould be fine covering them, as some vehicles IE cargo vans, have only 3 windows, the windshield, and the 2 side windows, so i dont see why they would ticket you for covering them... but im no laywer so dont quote me.

That's about what I figured, but the last thing I need is to do something to this car that'll get me pulled over and ticketed every time I hit the road! :)

Kona9
06-16-2004, 12:30 PM
as long as you have two side view mirrors, it is NOT illegal.

1badPT
06-16-2004, 12:35 PM
there used to be an expert on the boards here dealing with traffic laws, I'll try to find the username and hopefully they are still active here. If I find it i'll post it here for you.

Gonthro
06-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
there used to be an expert on the boards here dealing with traffic laws, I'll try to find the username and hopefully they are still active here. If I find it i'll post it here for you.

i think you're refering to "moonracer" who is an ex-driving instructor

1badPT
06-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Here's his user page - try emailing him using the link on that page because he has't posted since December :dunno:
http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=5634

Edit - no that's not who I had in mind but hey that's one more person to follow up with, and I think he's still active on the boards here.