PDA

View Full Version : Loosing weight?

liquid1010
06-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Whats the best way to cut down for summer. I started 6 months ago at 145, and for a guy whose 5"11, that's pretty scrawny. Anyone I'm up to 160 now, and want to cut down to 155 for summer. I'm in good shape still, but I really want the abs to show..... right now I'm still just lifting and now started jogging too. Any other good ways of cutting?

ApexDrift
06-16-2004, 02:01 PM
swimming is a full body work out! tones the body really good!
other then that run till you cant run any more!

Melinda
06-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah lots of cardio and eat healthy, cut back as much as you can on your carbohydrates and every once in a while, slip into a suana and sweat till you cant sweat no more (dont over do it in the auna though, it can be bad for you)

liquid1010
06-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Oh ok... the Sauna and Swimming are a good idea.... so I might do that tonight. Thanks.

davidI
06-16-2004, 02:48 PM
If you're 5'11" and 160 I wouldn't try to cut. Just go on a 'clean bulk'. I'm 5'9" 170-175 and I won't even consider cutting until I'm a solid 180. If you must cut then reduce your caloric intake by a bit but keep your protein intake around 200 grams/day. Drink lots of water and do cardio.

I'd recommend against cutting, especially since at 160 you probably don't have a lot of muscle under the small amount of fat you're working to reduce. Do some ab work and get a tan and that may help :dunno:

liquid1010
06-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I'm barely 160... so I dont want to get much skinnier, I just want to get rid of that tiny layer thats so tough to get rid of. :dunno: I'll keep on the protein and do some swimming and a little jogging.

hockeybronx
06-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Drink shitloads of water everyday.

Drinking water cools down the body, to get back to normal temperature the body speeds up your metabolism which causes all sorts of reactions and heats it up. The faster your metabolism, the faster you burn fat.

I'm on a road of trying to gain weight but the importance of water still remains in my situation.

Drink water all day long, stay away from alcohol (casually drink if neccesary), I drink 5 litres a day on average find an amount that's cool for you!

Good luck man, post up your success as it happens.

Shaolin
06-17-2004, 07:58 AM
I'm in the same situation as you liquid, I'm approx 5'5 150

drink lots of water, eat 5 meals a day, keep your exercise routine (if it's a good one)..

I'm taking these Ultra Chromoton Plus pills that speeds up your metabolism.. so I get hungry every 2 hours and eat a small snack/meal.

I've lost about 6 pounds so far in about 3 weeks and I'm pretty happy with the results.. I don't have much body fat so I don't expect to lose a drastic amount of weight.. if I can lose another 5 pounds or so I'm done.

YCB
06-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by davidI
If you're 5'11" and 160 I wouldn't try to cut. Just go on a 'clean bulk'. I'm 5'9" 170-175 and I won't even consider cutting until I'm a solid 180. If you must cut then reduce your caloric intake by a bit but keep your protein intake around 200 grams/day. Drink lots of water and do cardio.

I'd recommend against cutting, especially since at 160 you probably don't have a lot of muscle under the small amount of fat you're working to reduce. Do some ab work and get a tan and that may help :dunno:

:werd: ... im pretty sure that the weight u gained from 145-160 wasn't like "clean" weight.. ususually when people cut.. they lose like 10-15 pounds.. 5lbs is not that much ihf u think about it.. u can just not eat for like 1 day.. and u'll proabaly lose that much..

i would continue to clean bulk (increase calorie intake BUT not fat) until maybe u are like 175.. by then ur muscle mass should have increased, then when u cut u'll actually have some muscles to show..

davidI
06-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by YCB

5lbs is not that much ihf u think about it.. u can just not eat for like 1 day.. and u'll proabaly lose that much..

I'll go to bed 5 pounds heavier than I am the next morning after taking a piss. It's that easy :D

///M3
06-17-2004, 09:13 PM
5lbs is not that much ihf u think about it.. u can just not eat for like 1 day.. and u'll proabaly lose that much..

no 5 pounds of fat is huge, if you dont eat for a day your a idiot. The only weight you will lose, is the weight of the food in your stomach that you didnt eat.:nut:

hockeybronx
06-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ///M3

no 5 pounds of fat is huge, if you dont eat for a day your a idiot. The only weight you will lose, is the weight of the food in your stomach that you didnt eat.:nut:

:werd:
I don't know what you guys were talking about. If you can go to bed and wake up 5 pounds heavier or lighter then something is seriously wrong with you.

If you want to be even remotely heavy it could take weeks to lose 5 pounds. Oh yeah, and not eating for a day will not cut five pounds off your body
:drama:

liquid1010
06-17-2004, 10:38 PM
I disagree hockeybronx. When I wrote that post I was 159. I'm now 156. I usually gain or lose 3 pounds or so a day (within a certain range). The problem with me is I'm pretty scrawny, yet still have that little layer that wont let me show my abs :(

YCB
06-17-2004, 11:05 PM
thats what i thought too.. maybe u don't have abs.. cuz i didn't.. just push urself more.. maybe no abs this year.. but wicked defined abs next year.. unless ur plannin on goin to mexico or something like that this summer.. keep gaining weight..

liquid1010
06-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Yea my abs need some more work for sure. For defined abs do you use any sort of resistance, or just high reps? Right now I'm doing inclined, and seated crunches... and leg raises. :dunno:

davidI
06-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

:werd:
I don't know what you guys were talking about. If you can go to bed and wake up 5 pounds heavier or lighter then something is seriously wrong with you.

If you want to be even remotely heavy it could take weeks to lose 5 pounds. Oh yeah, and not eating for a day will not cut five pounds off your body
:drama:

:rolleyes:

Melinda
06-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by liquid1010
I disagree hockeybronx. When I wrote that post I was 159. I'm now 156. I usually gain or lose 3 pounds or so a day (within a certain range). The problem with me is I'm pretty scrawny, yet still have that little layer that wont let me show my abs :(
It's true, your weight fluxuates within 5 punds every day. In order to get accurate weight readings, weigh yourself at the same time every day, morning is usually the best time to get the most accurate numbers

Bruce Chan
06-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Dear liquid1010:
I have the same situation too. Now , i dance everyday. listen to your favour music and dance with it. It seen work for me. you should try it. Don't eat fast food and no soft drink. You can have a good looking"abs" if you work hard on sit up. Good Luck:thumbsup:

Melinda
06-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by liquid1010
Yea my abs need some more work for sure. For defined abs do you use any sort of resistance, or just high reps? Right now I'm doing inclined, and seated crunches... and leg raises. :dunno:
:D I have an ab program that would make anyone cry. I developed it in high school while I was the trainer for the sports teams. Make sure you get ALL your abdominal areas, not just the ones that basic sit ups get.

Khyron
06-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

:D I have an ab program that would make anyone cry. I developed it in high school while I was the trainer for the sports teams. Make sure you get ALL your abdominal areas, not just the ones that basic sit ups get.

Soooo, let's post it up! Or maybe a demo video. :bigpimp: :whipped:

Khyron

YCB
06-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Soooo, let's post it up! Or maybe a demo video. :bigpimp: :whipped:

Khyron

hahah evil...

but yea with ab work.. don't do more reps.. do more intensity.. add some weight.. lots of weight.. abs are like any other muscle.. don't wanan do like 100 reps of bicep curls.. u'll be training for endurance... 8-15 is sufficient..

liquid1010
06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Lets see this Ab program ;)

Melinda
06-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Haha okay I'll post it up when I get off work tonight. I dont have the proper names for some of it, we had to rename some of the excersizes so the players would remember them. :)

Jynx
06-20-2004, 08:39 PM
hah wooahh umm
you want your abs to show

two ways i could recommend, the tan thing would work.

buttttt

1st - crazy cut up
i dont know if you could handle this, but this'll work guarunteed.. its rough tho.. it was used by winners of musle beach.

this should hopefully increase the lean muscle mass on you, (not by much tho) but it'll cut the fat for sure if you keep working and out and
do this for i think maybe two or three weeks (now what i heard was this was with NO cardio at all, but personally i think throwing in some interval-intensity running or so for maybe 20-25mins in the mornings 1/2 hr before your first meal will jus melt off the FAT faster).

this is rough tho. basically from breakfast to dinner you're looking at a 6-8oz chicken breast and a portion of BROWN rice for EVERY meal, yes every meal even breakfast. the muscle beach guys do it for i think 18 weeks prior to contest but thats to loose i think like 35+lbs and to get lean lean.. like below 5%.

actually forget the other way. this way's the best, and for 2 or 3 weeks it shouldn't be a problem. but make sure you're getting at LEAST 5 meals a day (6 is better) and drink tonnnnnnes of water like water water water.

now for my additional input to this meal plan:

2 flaws with this.
1: huge sodium reduction
this will cause alot less water retention making you look leaner and more cut. BUT if you dont throw in 1 or 2 cheat meals with some sodium during the week you'll get a kickback reaction where as soon as you eat normal again the sodium will cause huge water retention.
2: extreme calorie/fat reduction
as soon as you're done if you jus start eating normal again ..Poooof your body will put the fat back on, so for about a week or two after make sure you SLOWLY increase your calorie/fat intake back to normal levels.
keys to this whole meal plan: dont fall through, dont cheat. drink water. make sure at least 5 meals.

to make it safer try throwing in some powerful multivitamins.

haha this can be used for anyone if they have the determination for it and the time to make the chicken breasts..
BOILED BTW i forgot to say, BOILED chicken breasts.

but no matter what people say.. the key to this sht is the food intake
70% nutrition 20% working out 10% cardio.

Jynx
06-20-2004, 08:40 PM
oh ya, anyone else got any opinions on that sht?

id love to hear the input

AzN_4_LiFe
06-20-2004, 09:10 PM
aquire diabetes, and drink pop non stop
u will loose weight sooo fast!
i learnt the hard way

danno567
06-20-2004, 09:40 PM
do your cardio ever second day,

i used to make these shakes that are great and helped me loose 30lbs over three months. i ate normal at dinner, ie, chicken, rice, veggies, with loads of water.

heres the shake.

silken tofu -1/3 of the pkg. (lite tofu)
ice - 6 -10 cubes
skim milk powder - 1/2 cup
skim milk --- 3 cups
bit of plain yogurt (say 1 cup)
fresh fruit (strawberries for ex. )
(shot of honey)
5 tablespoons of wheat germ

blend it all up in a blender, and enjoy. Add more fruit or goodies for taste. some low fat vanilla jello pudding mix is real good too.

worked for me, thats all im going to say. i had this every day for lunch, had general breakfast, and general dinner. the shake kept me full but not gross full. also dont eat in the morning before you work out. (if thats when you do it. ) when you get home have some water and wait half hour or so before you eat.

=============================================
i followed the body for life book, but used the above shake which was given to me by a trainer instead of their myoplex shakes.

the book gave me great motivation, and was a good read.
anyways thats my 2 cents. If it helps another person, great.

NoseslideSam
06-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Drink lots of cold water...it burns calories having to warm up. I used to be chubby 180*, now I'm 160 at 6ft. I way less than I did when I was 5"6 lol. Water helps out a lot in wanting to lose weight because it flushes out your system. Just a little advice...

subdermal
06-22-2004, 10:00 AM
I lost 50 pounds in just under a year following the body for life book and drinking sick amounts of water... I'd be more proud of that if I hadn't put most of it back on following the "pizza everyday for lunch and sick amounts of whiskey" diet for two years after an injury, but still, I highly recommend the body for life book. I'm starting to work now on undoing the damage I've done, and I'll be using it again. The water thing cannot be stressed enough, too. A large glass of water before every meal will make you healthier and helps fill you up. I have not yet excercised one minute, but by replacing pop with water and maintaining a high water intake at all times (in addition to eating better in general) I have already lost 10 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

James
06-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

It's true, your weight fluxuates within 5 punds every day. In order to get accurate weight readings, weigh yourself at the same time every day, morning is usually the best time to get the most accurate numbers

True, morning also gives the most flattering numbers :D....i find after a night of drinking hard alcohol i can wake up the next day up to 7 lbs lighter than 36 hours before, although i do feel lighter, its all unhealthy water wieght that was lost, so its more of an illusion :tongue:

Fuji
06-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by James

True, morning also gives the most flattering numbers :D....i find after a night of drinking hard alcohol i can wake up the next day up to 7 lbs lighter than 36 hours before, although i do feel lighter, its all unhealthy water wieght that was lost, so its more of an illusion :tongue:

thats cuz of stale beer shits :rofl: i think it is a common occurence among all ppl lol

Quick outtie
06-28-2004, 10:18 PM
well run alot play tennis or somthing excersie and lowere intake on calorie foods eat a ballance meal:)

hockeybronx
06-29-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by James
although i do feel lighter, its all unhealthy water wieght that was lost, so its more of an illusion :tongue:

Something I'm beginning to do that I think is really good is buying one of those huge 36 packs of bottled water (575 ml) from Safeway and putting it beside my bed. Every night before I go to bed I'll down one of those so my body can use it while I'm sleeping rather than taking water out of my muscles.

I'm starting this because it seemed no matter how much water I drank the day before, I'd still wake up in the morning dehydrated because of how fast my body was working.

We'll see how it works.

YCB
06-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Something I'm beginning to do that I think is really good is buying one of those huge 36 packs of bottled water (575 ml) from Safeway and putting it beside my bed. Every night before I go to bed I'll down one of those so my body can use it while I'm sleeping rather than taking water out of my muscles.

I'm starting this because it seemed no matter how much water I drank the day before, I'd still wake up in the morning dehydrated because of how fast my body was working.

We'll see how it works.

all that does is make u wanna pee...
take some muscle milk or normal milk.. the casien in the milk helps slow protien synthesis...

hockeybronx
06-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by YCB

all that does is make u wanna pee...
take some muscle milk or normal milk.. the casien in the milk helps slow protien synthesis...

Well I usually workout before I go to bed, and after my workouts I grab a protein shake, so same thing.

freakin
06-29-2004, 02:06 PM
I just did it the easy way.....less input, more output.

I found something fun to do that's relatively physical to do and smartened up with what I eat. I don't go drinking as much either.

I BMX and mountain bike when I can. I don't really eat red meat anymore and greasy fast food isn't really an option (it makes me sick looking at it). Top that off with a healthy dose of walking instead of driving short distantaces and drinking lots of water.

After high school I get pretty chubby, but once I smartened up, I dropped it again.

Of course if that doesn't work for you, there's always crack.
:thumbsup:

brandon
06-29-2004, 02:15 PM
lmao, my biggest problem is im an avid pop drinker. Im gonna start drinking lots of water im 6'1 and 185, I wanna cut alot of weight down this summer so for a start do you guys think eating good and lots of water mixed with some running/walking will do me good?

freakin
06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
^^^ absolutely! Eating healthy and getting regular exercise is always a good idea. I wouldn't be too concerned with losing weight though. Being healthy is much more important. You'll just feel better all the time. You won't feel run down all the time. I also find when I drink water regularly at work, I have to pee a lot, but I'm also not hungry all the time.