PDA

View Full Version : Anyone order wheels and tires from the states before?

Jungle Monkey
06-16-2004, 07:38 PM
was thinking about getting a wheel and tire package from the Tire Rack. What concerns me are the customs and brokerage fees.

I got some quotes from a few local shops on teh same wheel and tire package and all their prices were a good $1000 CAD more than Tire Rack after exchange rate.

But if I get dinged by a 8% duty and the 15% GST/PST ( I live in Ontario) and a brokerage fee then I'm right up there with teh price of the local shops, maybe even more depending on the brokerage fee.

But my brother recently bought a Wheel and tire package through Discount Tires direct and all he had to pay was the brokerage fee and the GST. If thats the case all the time then I would still save a bunch over the local shops.

My brothers wheels were shipped via UPS. I have had nightmares with them before when it comes to their fees. A lot of the time it would have been just cheaper for me to buy the product in Canada. This makes me wonder if my brother just got lucky?

Anyone buy wheels from Tire Rack or just from teh states in general? What extra charges did you get hit with?

Thanks

autobodygal
06-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I bought tires from tire rack, did have to pay gst, shipping, but no brokerage fees, we have a brokerage firm we use through work so I didn't have to pay them. Was cheaper than I could buy the tires here.

89coupe
06-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Why would you order from the tire rack when you can get any wheel or tire they sell, from MyTires right here in Calgary for less?

Mckenzie
06-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Tunerworks has been great with me. Their price was equally competitive (considering exchange, duty, fees, etc.) and the service is the best I have experienced so far in this city. They've been good to me regarding my warranty return of a full set of wheels (try making a warranty claim through an online vendor....."yeah sure we'll warranty it, just send us your wheels and we'll get back to you").

And you will be supporting a local business too. ;)

autobodygal
06-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Why would you order from the tire rack when you can get any wheel or tire they sell, from MyTires right here in Calgary for less?
I don't live in Calgary so didn't have that info at the time I purchased. I will keep that in mind for future purchases though.:thumbsup: