PDA

View Full Version : Buying LAptop?

Leekiwwi
06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
hey, I was just wondering where the best place to buy a laptop from was? and which brands are best?
I want something that looks really nice ergonomically.
willing to spend around 1500$
any suggestions?

NismoR
06-17-2004, 12:08 AM
hahahahaha.! you should get one from leo again hahaha mr rx-8

accordboi_02
06-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Spend more and get a T-Series from IBM.
They're the best notebooks out there.

lint
06-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
Spend more and get a T-Series from IBM.
They're the best notebooks out there.

Just picked up a ThinkPad T40 Centrino for just over $1500 delivered to my door :D

accordboi_02
06-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by lint

Just picked up a ThinkPad T40 Centrino for just over $1500 delivered to my door :D

No shit?!
That's an awesome deal!!!!

lint
06-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

No shit?!
That's an awesome deal!!!!

No shit. There was a friends and family sale, saved almost 50%. Couldn't pass up the deal.

Lennon
06-17-2004, 07:40 PM
You could also try Dell, see if there is anything there worth your while.

www.dell.ca

Weapon_R
06-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Dell is good, Compaq makes nice laptops, and IBM makes great laptops. If anything, its easier to list what you should avoid.

The worst laptop IMO is the Toshiba satellite. The computer is lacking so many basic things (IE - Parallel Port and A: drive) that it makes this thing garbage IMO. I know there are ways around it, but that doesn't matter when you don't have a USB-compatible printer or the desire to lug around an external A: drive.

lint
06-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Dell is good, Compaq makes nice laptops, and IBM makes great laptops. If anything, its easier to list what you should avoid.

The worst laptop IMO is the Toshiba satellite. The computer is lacking so many basic things (IE - Parallel Port and A: drive) that it makes this thing garbage IMO. I know there are ways around it, but that doesn't matter when you don't have a USB-compatible printer or the desire to lug around an external A: drive.

You have to keep in mind that sometimes they're designed that way to make them portable. My friend has a Toshiba tablet with no A: drive of CD/DVD ROM drive for that matter. Wouldn't say that lacking those things makes it garbage. Alot of the ultra small laptops are meant to be "road warriors", as light and portable as possible.

Leekiwwi
06-18-2004, 12:59 AM
how are the small laptops like?
like the ones that r like an inch thick, 12" screen and stuff?
no good?

rice_eater
06-18-2004, 02:17 AM
if you're in school i'd get one of those laptops that oyu can turn the screen around and use it as a notebook. i saw a guy doing this in chem and he seemed to be able to switch back and forth no problem. he'd type everything up and flip the screen to write down formulas or examples. that's what i'd get.

lint
06-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
if you're in school i'd get one of those laptops that oyu can turn the screen around and use it as a notebook. i saw a guy doing this in chem and he seemed to be able to switch back and forth no problem. he'd type everything up and flip the screen to write down formulas or examples. that's what i'd get.

That's a Tablet PC. That's what my friend has for work. Very versatile, but they're still working on performance. Lag issues when switching from normal to tablet mode. And they're pricey, >$3000. But if you can afford it, go for it.

Leekiwwi
06-18-2004, 10:35 AM
how this one?
Averatec AV 3220H Mobile Athlon XP-M 2000 + Notebook

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/regular/10043002.gif

b16Ateg
06-18-2004, 11:47 AM
i would go dell dude.. i just bought mine for like 3gs but you can go on there site and build your own and get it in your price value and i got alot of free shit too.. but thats my opinion

403Gemini
06-19-2004, 12:56 AM
yay dell, tech support located in pakistan :clap:

id say toshiba just cause their quality is some of the best. granted your not going to have a a:\ or a parrell port, but honestly who the fuck uses that old of printers and nees a a:\ when you can just get a flash drive or just use the cd burner?

hampstor
06-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lint

That's a Tablet PC. That's what my friend has for work. Very versatile, but they're still working on performance. Lag issues when switching from normal to tablet mode. And they're pricey, >$3000. But if you can afford it, go for it.

Memory Express will have a tablet soon for under 2500 based on the Centrino platform....

The only issue i've encounted playing around with it so far is my co workers who insist on touching the screen with their dirty fingers!

As far as a notebook, memx also has a notebook based on the Asus Z9 (Centrino platform again) w/ an OS for $1799.

A lot of notebooks do not come with a floppy drive anymore because of how much more versitile and common USB flash drives are now.