PDA

View Full Version : what does dsm stand for

aboveandbeyond
10-24-2002, 12:21 PM
this might sound dumb buti dont care i wantto know waht it means...this fag at work told me it mean domestically sold motor...but i know thata load of shit can someone tell me what it acually means

MrX
10-24-2002, 12:22 PM
i think it's diamond star motors...not 100% sure tho.

Ekliptix
10-24-2002, 12:23 PM
yes. mitsu and eagle and dodge

2000impreza
10-24-2002, 12:24 PM
yep that would be correct. diamond star motor.

DSM Power
10-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by MrX
i think it's diamond star motors...not 100% sure tho.
Correct. :thumbsup:

redec
10-24-2002, 01:29 PM
mitsu = diamond
chrysler = star

semasema
10-24-2002, 01:51 PM
As such, would DSM's be considered imports or domestics?

max_boost
10-24-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by semasema
As such, would DSM's be considered imports or domestics?

Interesting.......I've always considered Mitsus as Imports and Chrysler as Domestic.....but when you take the Talon/Eclipse, are they not virtually the same car?

Tux
10-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Pretty much the same case as the 3si's.. My old stealth was badged with the Dodge label, but all the ID plates and tags were Mitsu tags. It's that funky partnership in the late 80's to mid 90's that helped save Chrysler.

To me it's an import. If it's plated and tagged as a Mitsu, and has no major changes, it's an import.

No.not.again
10-24-2002, 03:06 PM
in my opinion what the car is powered by determines if the car is an import or domestic... basically the engine is the heart 'n soul of the car. So i consider the talon/laser to be a import. In the case of the Toyota Cavalier sold in Japan, we here in north america consider it a domestic but in japan they would consider it a import even though it has a Toyota badge on it. Same goes with the vibe/matrix...i believe the vibe is powered by the same engine found in the Celica GT, i consider it a import.

just my 2 cent

No.not.again
10-24-2002, 03:21 PM
whoa... i didn't know this but they also equiped the vibe GT with the Celica GTS engine. :bullshit: man, what was toyota thinking :thumbsdow what's next a 2ZZ-GE (GTS) powered cavalier?

ninspeed
10-24-2002, 07:31 PM
In 1970 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries transformed its car-manufacturing division into a subsidiary company called Mitsubishi Motors. A year later the Chrysler Corporation bought 15 percent of Mitsubishi Motors, a move that began a long relationship between the two companies. In the 1970s, for example, Chrysler marketed the Dodge Colt and Plymouth Arrow, both made by Mitsubishi, in the United States.

In 1982 Mitsubishi Motors began marketing automobiles in the United States under its own name. Three years later Mitsubishi and Chrysler formed a joint U.S. operation, Diamond-Star Motors, which manufactured such cars as the Laser, Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Mirage, and Galant. In 1991 Mitsubishi purchased Chrysler’s shares in Diamond-Star. Mitsubishi means “three diamonds” in Japanese.

(copyed from encarta)

aboveandbeyond
10-24-2002, 07:59 PM
thanks all i appreciate it:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5.9 R/T
10-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Tux
Pretty much the same case as the 3si's.. My old stealth was badged with the Dodge label, but all the ID plates and tags were Mitsu tags. It's that funky partnership in the late 80's to mid 90's that helped save Chrysler.

To me it's an import. If it's plated and tagged as a Mitsu, and has no major changes, it's an import.

It's that same old question, if it's built here but is built with a majority of imported parts or by an import company is it still an import? Does anyone really care? As for mitsu saving chrysler, well, i'm not sure where you got that from, but in the 80's it was the introduction of the K car and Minivans that saved chrysler, not shared platforms with mitsu, although I'm sure it helped somewhat.

Diamond Star Motors, which has been explained already, started in 1989 and produced cars until 1993 (MY's '90-'94). Technically only 1st gen T/E/L and Galant VR4's are DSM's but it is generally accepted that because of a similar powertrain and components 2nd gen T/E's can also be considered DSM's even though DSM no longer existed.

4G63Power
10-24-2002, 11:48 PM
What's an Eagle Talon? :tongue:

James
10-25-2002, 12:29 AM
My Dad was Telling me that my '87 Duster( 2.2l) ( his old car) has a Mistsubishi Engine in it, But i dont see "Mitsubishi" anywhere on the Car:confused: ....has he just been smoking too much Herb?? or Did Mitsubishi have something to do with the Old Dusters/Chargers/Daytona's etc...??:dunno:

lammer
10-25-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by 4G63Power
What's an Eagle Talon? :tongue:

its a claw off of an eagle. used for hunting, prying open stuff. you know the works.

:angel:

Tux
10-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

As for mitsu saving chrysler, well, i'm not sure where you got that from,

That's true, but the way I see it, their partnership with mitsu that helped them by some time by importing fresh new Japanese designs and cars, and re-branding them, while their own engineers sought out fresh new concepts in their desigs, hence ther was a high output cars that were ahead of their time (Viper, new class intrepid, LHS, new RAM truck design, etc.) that looked great, and really catapulted Chrysler ahead of GM and Ford in the way people thought about cars in the early 90's.

That's just the way I see it IMHO....

SpeedStar
10-25-2002, 11:41 AM
I would consider the DSM a domestic because they were manufactured at the only factory you could get them from in Normal IL USA. Some parts may have been manufactured in Japan and some parts here in North America but the cars themself were manufactured in the USA making them a domestic

CLiVE
10-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SpeedStar
I would consider the DSM a domestic because they were manufactured at the only factory you could get them from in Normal IL USA. Some parts may have been manufactured in Japan and some parts here in North America but the cars themself were manufactured in the USA making them a domestic

True the DSM's (Talon/Eclipse/Laser) were manufactured in the U.S....but I still consider them all mitsu's hence...imports..

My car has a "dodge" badging, has all mitsu parts except for the body, and was manufactured in Japan. I drive an import thank you very much.....

besides all of the dodge badging will be gone very shortly...

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 03:23 PM
Yea all my stuff is Mitsu too except for my exterior badging. All my badges under the hood are Mitsu, but my steering wheel and front and rear clip and side skirts say Dodge. So I guess I consider myself an import too...