PDA

View Full Version : Dealerships - Frieght and PDI

06-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I am negociating the purchase of an 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Cab for my parents.

I want to know what is "normal" or reasonable to be charged for frieght and PDI. The quote that the dealer has given me is $1835 for frieght & PDI. This seem rediculous. The Audi website lists Destination as $600. So the dealer wants $1235 for prep and delivery?

Any one out there shed light on this for me?

Thanks

C4S
06-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Well .. everyone needs to make money .. and every Luxury Car charge a lots for Freight and PDI and fee ...

I think Audi .. BMW .. Benz .. they all charge around $1,800 - 1,900 on Feright PDI Mats etc .. which .. their Floor Mats alone already cost over $300 !

Even Japanese car, such as Lexus .. their Freight PDI mats charge is .. like $1500 :dunno: or a VW is $1500 as well ..

For Porsche, Jag ... which is over $2,000 !

For Audi, probaby cost them $ 400 for dealer Prep, $300 for Mats, and $100 for Wheel Locks, $100 for gax (up to) and $200 to do all the clean up/Wax ..etc .. so that is like $900 already, and it is reasonable for them to charge you $1,200. (only $300 extra profit)

I think you cannot negociate the Fixed cost on car, however you can surely negociate the "Total" cost for the car ! Especially it is an AUDI ! good luck ! I rarely see an Audo Cab on the road ! will be one of a Kind ! :)

MintRacer
06-17-2004, 09:58 AM
yes.. tell them to go eat a dick... or "that's Bullshit"..
agree only to the 600.
there's also the bogus documentation fees... also bull shit
the doc fee's will run you anywhere from 100-300bucks
tire tax, air fee.. also bullshit... if they try to make you pay it.. just get up and leaf. I'm sure they'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

Shaolin
06-17-2004, 10:02 AM
just be firm.. you can't negotiate so that you don't have to pay the destination charges? when I bought my Honda i only had to pay the taxes (tire and something else, i don't remember)..

and it was the same scenario when we bought our acura as well.

but then again, i don't consider my cars to be in the same league as Audis.. :dunno:

C4S
06-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by MintRacer
yes.. tell them to go eat a dick... or "that's Bullshit"..
agree only to the 600.
there's also the bogus documentation fees... also bull shit
the doc fee's will run you anywhere from 100-300bucks
tire tax, air fee.. also bullshit... if they try to make you pay it.. just get up and leaf. I'm sure they'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

Well .. why do you said even air tax, tire tax ... r bullshit ? I think GST is bullshit too ... but .. we can we do to TAXES ?? we are so lucky in Canada ..in some asian countries, TAX for car can be 100% to 200 % !

You can buy a new car WITHOUT PDI (dealer preparation) but then the car will be under shipping wax, shock washer, NO warranty. so .. go ahead to try to save that few hundred buck ona $60,000 car, and ignore the warranty.

The botton line is .. just like buying a TV or whatever in Future Shop, a $12,000 Plasma TV, may only cost $8000 to them, but will they sell it to you without making money ? Let you be the Boss.

06-17-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree that everyones gotta make a buck, but lets be fair...
I know the luxury guys are harder to deal with, less in town competition and the cars are rarer, so you pay a premium.

First I have not visited the dealership. My Aunt has the identical car and that is how my parents decided that they wanted one. I called the dealer and gave him the specs, he found the car in Ontario (only 2 with the exact colour combo and options that we want in Canada.)

He gives me a price that includes $750 extra shipping from Ontario to Calgary, thats fair.

I call him back to ask for a quote by fax so I can go over the numbers. So the quote he faxes me is $640 higher than what he quoted me on the phone!? And I am betting the $640 is a cash grab and he stuck into PDI.

C4S
06-17-2004, 10:53 AM
They shouldn't charge you "extra" shipping cost .. ( unless they offer you huge discount on the car already ! )

Anyway .. I will rather look at a CLK cab or a BMW Cab ... at least .. you know you will hv resale Value on Bimmer or Benz .. but .. Audi .. good luck ! if the price is right, they are not bad too ! :thumbsup:

by the way .. is that 1.8 A4 Quattro ? or still just the FWD ? if still the fwd .. then I will not recommend then .. :)

06-17-2004, 11:34 AM
C4S

The additional shipping charge is warrented as the car has already been delivered to a dealer in Ontario and is in his stock. Car must now be shipped to Calgary.

Additionally, I was not looking for YOUR recommendation on what type of Luxury convertable my mother should by. I simply wanted feedback on whether I was getting hosed on PDI. I have researched it and I know the pit falls that we may expect with buying an A4 Cab.
The 1.8T Cab is only availble FWD. For AWD you have t go V6 and about $13k more. The cars you mention my suit your needs and if they do you are welcome to buy them. However, they do not suit my mom (No RWD!)

As far as resale value, 5 year estimated resale in % (from intellichoice):
BMW 325Ci 57%
MB CLK 320 54%
Audi A4 1.8T Cab 51%.
So that is hardly a "good luck" type of senario as you put it.