PDA

View Full Version : Castrol oil for 120000+ kms car? Is it good?

Seks
10-24-2002, 01:01 PM
I was gonna get some regular Castrol GTX 5-30 oil last nite at Cdn Tire (buy 3 bottles get 1 free!) but I noticed that Castrol also sells oil for cars that have 120000+ kms on the odometer.

Should I get the 120000+ kms instead then? It's $4/bottle compare to the $2/bottle of the regular stuff. Any difference?

This is for my Civic which has 223000 kms on it.

T5_X
10-24-2002, 03:28 PM
hahaha, I doubt it. If your engine's in good shape then it'll be fine with the regular stuff. It's not like 2X expensive oil is gonna fix worn rings or cyl walls :rolleyes:
Its probably just more of a marketing gimmick than anything real useful, but if you wanna use it just to be safe, go ahead :thumbsup:

infamous
10-24-2002, 03:32 PM
exactly. if you think about it, where does oil come from? dead dinosaurs. did the dinosaurs say "well when i die i am going to be a high performance oil." and stuff like that? no. all oil no matter which way you look at it is from dead dinosaurs. so it really doesn't matter which one you choose, as they all came from the same place.

just my 0.02

infamous
10-24-2002, 05:01 PM
i would take either....but if you think about it, either way it has taken a long time for the decaying matter to become oil. does it make a difference in the oil? no. buying oil that is "specially formulated" is just a gimmick that they use to sell more. it's all the same stuff as far as i am concerned.

2000impreza
10-24-2002, 05:37 PM
what about synthetic oils? is it actually "synthetic" or still come from the same place?

Pole Position
10-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Yeah I would agreed that engine oil all comes from the same place practically. ,

I'm no oil chemsit, but I know they are not all the same! There are many different addictives companies add to their engine oil as well as different API and SAE ratings, and that is what we are paying for. Some addictives prevents rust/corrosion, some allow easier flow under low temperature, and some even prevents foam forming. So if Castrol designed a type of oil for 120,000+ KMs cars, then it must have some special addictives for it. One thing I would not do is cheap out on engine oil, because that is one thing that could break your engine in no time.

Even gasoline, what's the difference between name brand and no-name brand gas besides the price? The addictives!

T5_X
10-24-2002, 07:23 PM
But castrol claims that it actually helps to "restore" the engine and bring compression back up. Maybe something goes on that raises your cyl compression 1 or 2 psi or something, but honestly, i doubt it's worth paying twice the amount for. Keep your engine in good running order the hard (and right) way. If you belive something you pour into your oil cap is gonna fix your whole engine you might as well buy some Z-max while you're at it :rolleyes:

I do put additives in occasionally for preventative maintenance on my truck though (low kms). If I can add something that reduces friction, prevents corrosion, reduces carbon deposits, cleans my injectors, whatever, I think it's worth investing a few bucks into. I'm not a chemical/automotive engineer so I don't know exactly if that stuff does much, but better safe than sorry right? I plan on treating the shelby the same way once I overhaul the engine.

LaughingTiger
10-24-2002, 07:56 PM
It's pretty good for the engine because it includes extra additives.. One is a sealer conditioner whicn reconditions the gaskets and valves so they don't crack and leak more, another is a high friction modifier which help engine wear and oil break down.. There are more..... I just stick w/ Mobil1 synthetic...

300rwhp
10-28-2002, 06:09 PM
exactly. if you think about it, where does oil come from? dead dinosaurs. did the dinosaurs say "well when i die i am going to be a high performance oil." and stuff like that? no. all oil no matter which way you look at it is from dead dinosaurs. so it really doesn't matter which one you choose, as they all came from the same place.

that has to be one of the most retarded things i have ever read. different oils are for different applications because they have different properties. read the bottle and find out why it is diferent than the other ones.