PDA

View Full Version : maintaince for SUV

bighead2267
06-18-2004, 11:07 AM
i think it's a right place to post. i've a highlander(Toyota) it's about time to change some fluid. i've basic idea how to change the tranny fluid, but i'm wondering how do u change the LSD fluid, the owner manual don't mention DIY serivce anymore(sucks:thumbsdow ) so i need someone to help me out. your help will be appreciate

turboMiata
06-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Changing the "LSD" fluid is no different than changing your diff fluid. Look at your diff and you'll see two plugs. One on the top (filler) and the bottom is the drain. Unscrew the filler plug first, then drain the fluid.

Check your manufacturer's requirement for differential fluid. I use 75W90 EP gear oil but yours may be different. Fill it until it overflows and you are set.

method
06-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata
Fill it until it overflows and you are set.

check your manual first about that. some manufacturers recommend filling a little below the plug line to help prevent axle seal leaks. depends on the vehicle...

turboMiata
06-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by method

check your manual first about that. some manufacturers recommend filling a little below the plug line to help prevent axle seal leaks. depends on the vehicle...

Which car/truck does that apply to?

method
06-20-2004, 06:42 PM
quite a number of fords now, I think some chevs...

dunno about the imports.

bighead2267
06-21-2004, 04:02 AM
thx for the info. it's a highlander, Toyota (import).

btw, where is the LSD locate. is it near the engine bay or the one(ball shape) almost need the cannistor?

turboMiata
06-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by bighead2267
btw, where is the LSD locate. is it near the engine bay or the one(ball shape) almost need the cannistor?

Its in the axle, inside that round bubble area. If you look at the half-shafts coming out your wheels and follow it towards the middle you'll get to your diff.

bighead2267
06-23-2004, 11:19 AM
thx bro i'll try when i do oil change