PDA

View Full Version : Stall for .487/.490?

MustardGT
10-24-2002, 09:38 PM
I just recieved a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy .487/.490 lift cam that I ordered for my Camaro. I currently have the original stock 350 engine and a 350 Turbo Trans. I will be installing my new cam tomorrow. My question is this. Do I need a stall for that big of a cam? In the JEGS book I ordered it from, it did not say anything about having to have a stall when using that cam. A mechanic that I take my car to also said that I would not need a stall for that size cam. My friend has the same size cam, but in a Pontiac big block and he doesn't have a stall. Even the instructions/installation papers that came with my cam didn't say anything about a stall being needed. But then when I did some research on the Comp Cams website it said that a 2200+ stall was needed. Is this just a recommendation for better performance? Or do I need the stall in order for my car to run properly?

Cam Specs:

Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam
Part Number: 12-246-3
Grind Number XE274H (274)
Duration: 274/286
Duration @ .050: 230/236
Valve Lift: .487/.490
Lobe Seperation Angle: 110

I really don't want to buy a stall, but only if I absolutely NEED one. I'd appreciate it if someone could advise me on this.

Thanks,
John