PDA

View Full Version : Whats So Great About Super Cars?

Weapon_R
10-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Okay, the subject heading might sound weird, but i've been wondering...

What is really so great about these cars to justify the six figure costs of some of these?

Do they handle exceptionally well? Or are they fast in a straight line only? Build quality is hard to tell as i've heard that lamborghinis are nightmares for repairs.

Is it because we barely see any of these vehicles on the road that makes them so special? I wonder if they consider the corvette as godlike in Italy as we do to a ferrari or lambo.

Point of the thread is: Why are they so expensive? I can't imagine a huge beast like a diablo or F50 to be exceptionally good on the track, but I could be wrong...

Hakkola
10-24-2002, 09:47 PM
I wonder if they consider the corvette as godlike in Italy as we do to a ferrari or lambo.

NO.

The supercars have a very high top speed, usually good build quality, many are hand made, not built in large numbers, safety at high speeds, there's so many things which justify the price. There can only be so many of them built, and some people are gonna say, ohh, but you purchase them for so much more then they're built for.

True, but think about the millions, or in some cases billions spent on R & D.
F50 is very very good on the track, Diablo is good if you know how to drive it but it wasn't created to be a track monster, have you ever sat inside one? The thing is a luxurious monster.

finboy
10-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by szw
status symbol

exactly, they are nice, but for the price of them, you could have a lingenfelter vette that would wipe the floor with them. but then you wouldn't have a Ferrari, or a Lambo.

i dunno.

they are beautiful machines, but most of the people who can afford them really don't appreciate them. it is a real shame when you see a diablo smashed to pieces because someone wanted to test its limits and pushed them too far by overestimating.

Pole Position
10-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Not mass production, and mostly hand built.

The F-50/Enzo are perhaps the closest thing to a F1 you can buy.

Weapon_R
10-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by finboy

exactly, they are nice, but for the price of them, you could have a lingenfelter vette that would wipe the floor with them. but then you wouldn't have a Ferrari, or a Lambo.

i dunno.

That is exactly what i've been wondering. Other than the fact that they are status symbols, they really don't have anything over a lingenfelter corvette, which would probably rape them in almost any kind of test. And its MUCH cheaper.

boi-alien
10-24-2002, 10:01 PM
it's not about the price... when people pay this much for a car it's all about the status it brings

jdmakkord
10-24-2002, 10:03 PM
I dont know how cheap you think the lingenfelter is.......

ninjak84
10-24-2002, 10:03 PM
lots of people buy them for a status symbol.
i would buy one for the heritage behind it.

theres a certain element that goes into a murcielago, and you wont find it in your local chevy dealorship

Weapon_R
10-24-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
I dont know how cheap you think the lingenfelter is.......

Lingenfelter package is $23,000 US extra, or about $33,000 CDN. Add to that a $60,000 dollar vette, and you have an incredible machine for under 100k. Not that expensive compared to the other badboys.

finboy
10-24-2002, 10:12 PM
exactly.

something about a vette that can pull 9's and still looks totally stock.

i want him to produce the awd sonoma with the TT engine. consistent 10's, but they need to beef up the tranny/transfer case/axles/etc.

WOW.

GTS Jeff
10-24-2002, 10:16 PM
not all supercars are the same geeez...

a tvr is totally different than a ferrari

Stratus_Power
10-24-2002, 10:27 PM
mostly cuz the quality of the ride itself, like in terms of the material it uses and want not... and they are all hand built..you might have like a group of 12 ppl working on one car instead of having it pass down the line parts by parts.. and they ARE a status symbol... its like why would you buy a Nike shirt over a wal-mart shirt when they are both Made in china or watever!

when you see a viper or a SL500 on the road you will be like wow nice car.. but if you see a ferrari, instant drooling!!

I read about something that the new Mayback ( sp?) by the benz.. even though they go for like 500k, benz aint going to make alot of money out of it....

sexualbanana
10-24-2002, 11:07 PM
they're super

///M Power
10-24-2002, 11:26 PM
They're rare, they perform like no other, they carry prestige, and look fantastic. I would kill for a car like the Enzo or the F-50. Hmmmm... maybe that could be my job, killing...:eek:

rx7_turbo2
10-25-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

That is exactly what i've been wondering. Other than the fact that they are status symbols, they really don't have anything over a lingenfelter corvette, which would probably rape them in almost any kind of test. And its MUCH cheaper.

Ah OK:dunno:

In anything other than straight line the Lingenfelter would loose.

kevie88
10-25-2002, 09:12 AM
I honestly think a good modern sportbike has everything a supercar has , but the sportbike is reliable. I guess survivability % in a crash is a little better in the car tho. I love it when supercar guys challenge you and get walked on by a $5 to $10k bike..

If I had the money I'd buy a Ferrari tho..

Hakkola
10-25-2002, 10:38 AM
don't have anything over a lingenfelter corvette

How about interior, most the super cars are luxurious, have leather and all that, lamborghini supposedly has an amazing sound system, while the corvette has a plastic cavalier interior.

HillBilly
10-25-2002, 10:45 AM
I think a better definition of a supercar is a luxury sports car. It is fast, refined, and has a history behind it that makes people want to pay the big bucks. They might not be the fastest for the money, but they are a huge status symbol. You have to remember, speed is not everything because your not always at the track..

rage2
10-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T
You have to remember, speed is not everything because your not always at the track..

That doesn't apply to me I don't think... :D

If I ever got to drive a supercar (Mclaren F1, F50, Enzo) I'll let you know what's so special about 'em.

2000impreza
10-25-2002, 10:58 AM
i heard some guy in calgary bought a enzo..... suppose to be here by next summer.

rage2
10-25-2002, 11:12 AM
hehe doubtful. Ferrari never made their supercars legal for Canada. Those cars being F40, F50, Enzo.

GTS Jeff
10-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by rage2
hehe doubtful. Ferrari never made their supercars legal for Canada. Those cars being F40, F50, Enzo. isnt enzo another name for the f50?

bol
10-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
isnt enzo another name for the f50?

The Enzo ferrari is the new 'top o the line' ferrari replacing the F50.

SmelltheRubber
10-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Yeah the Enzo can be considered the new "F60". It is not a F50.

And the biggest reason people buy a supercar is because of what it can do for your ego and sexlife!!:poosie:

I mean seriously, your driving along, le-dee-dum-de-dum, when a corvette lingenfelter drives by you on the left. Sure your shocked and amazed. Then a minute later, a Ferrari F50 drives by on the other side. You soil your pants, feel your heart stopping, then crash into a tree because you were watching the Ferrari instead of the road.

Thats the difference.

three.eighteen.
10-27-2002, 11:59 AM
there are no compromises in super cars...the build quality is top notch, the materials are top notch as well (leather, carbon fiber, aluminum, composites, fully adjustable suspensions), not to mention you are paying for the name and design...

HillBilly
10-27-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That doesn't apply to me I don't think... :D

If I ever got to drive a supercar (Mclaren F1, F50, Enzo) I'll let you know what's so special about 'em.

Your always in a hurry........

BTW When I went for a rip in the 944 with you, I was watching the speedo and I was impressed. I was even more impressed about an hour later when Redec told me it was in mph:eek:

treg50
10-27-2002, 01:58 PM
The latest in high technology AND uniqueness.

Whatever you can think of to keep the driver safe and in control of a 500 HP rocket Murcielago or Enzo, is probably in these 'super' cars. Like was mentioned earlier, they're also handmade probably no automation used in the assembly process which takes a lot more time. You're also paying for the specialized car and service for the warranty period.

Seeing a Murcielago waiting on the line at a red-light, is much more impressive than suped-'vette, in my opinion.

Stratus_Power
10-27-2002, 03:08 PM
haha if you buy a Mayback ( sp?) from benz, they fly you 1st class to Germany so you can pick out the different type of Wood and trim and wat not :D pretty cool.. when i was in germany, they said if you interested in buying a benz, you can actually go to their factor and have a tour on how they make a car.. let say.. SLK. then you can decide if you want to buy it or not .. pretty cool i think

dj_honda
10-27-2002, 03:31 PM
porsche has a similar deal i think?
the company my dad works for, their previous owner bought his wife a porsche and they flew her somewhere to take private lessons on how to drive it properly...

i think bmw has a similar deal with the m5 too...but i think u have to pay for it? :dunno: could be wrong