PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe this happened!

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:13 AM
I was driving home from work on Friday afternoon in rush hour traffic on deerfoot. Just after I passed the douglasdale lights we were doing about 100km when all of a sudden....BANG!!!! The back window had just shattered scaring the living hell out of my g/f and I. For a second I thought I got shot at. The glass was falling into the car so I figured I'd keep going a little farther for my turnoff was just ahead. By the time I got to the parking lot the rest of the window collapsed. Looked around in the back seat and found a rock! There were no overhead bridges around that area so no kids throwing rocks or anything, so where the hell did it come from and how did it hit the back window like that? All I can figure is it got bounced high into the air by someone's tire and it came down at the right time to shatter my damn back window. :dunno: Just figured I'd share this bizarre story.

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:13 AM
side

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:14 AM
the rock

Hakkola
06-21-2004, 01:15 AM
that's crazy man, shitty deal.

Edit - Dude, the rock looks pretty big, I doubt that got kicked up by another vehicle.

cman
06-21-2004, 01:17 AM
happened to my parents minivan 4 or 5 years ago, driving down the highway no cars in sight when suddenly bam back window shatters. we found nothing but class, no rocks or debris or anything! it scared the shit out of me (i was in the back seat), i also thought we got shot at or something.

earlier this year a friend of mine who's parents have the same van had the same thing happen to him. weird shit.

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
that's crazy man, shitty deal. Your explenation is probably the most likely.

Edit - Dude, the rock looks pretty big, I doubt that got kicked up by another vehicle.

I dunno man, there's alot of construction going on down there so it could have came off a dump truck or something. I didn't do anything to piss someone off to throw it but if they did someone would have seen it for sure seeing how there were cars all around.

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by cman
happened to my parents minivan 4 or 5 years ago, driving down the highway no cars in sight when suddenly bam back window shatters. we found nothing but class, no rocks or debris or anything! it scared the shit out of me (i was in the back seat), i also thought we got shot at or something.

earlier this year a friend of mine who's parents have the same van had the same thing happen to him. weird shit.

weird, sounds kinda fishy if there was no evidence of why they both broke.

Hakkola
06-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Maybe, the picture is pretty close up, but it looks like a fist sized rock, or is it smaller?

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Maybe, the picture is pretty close up, but it looks like a fist sized rock, or is it smaller?

Yeah it's smaller than it looks there, I should have put something next to it for reference. It's about the size of your knuckle on your middle finger...haha

Hakkola
06-21-2004, 01:26 AM
haha, yeah, probably kicked up by another vehicle then, in that picture it looks HUGE.

hjr
06-21-2004, 01:26 AM
very strange dude.

Check out my gravel pit; a mystery, unravel it;

i just thought that was fitting

cman
06-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by hjr
very strange dude.

Check out my gravel pit; a mystery, unravel it;

i just thought that was fitting
haha very fitting line from wutang! havnt listened to that song in a while

saiyajin
06-21-2004, 01:28 AM
whoa thats crazy shiet but if its the size of a knuckle then thats not that big...did u have any cracks on the back window before?

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin
whoa thats crazy shiet but if its the size of a knuckle then thats not that big...did u have any cracks on the back window before?

Nope, it was in perfect condition. The rear glass is not safety glass so if it's hit hard enough to go through even if it's a small rock it could shatter the whole thing.

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:34 AM
The worse part is, that piece of glass is going to be a small fortune to replace...:cry:

saiyajin
06-21-2004, 01:35 AM
hah ya cuz its got the defroster an all that well on a brighter note ur both ok hah :thumbsup:

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 01:36 AM
Yeah didn't take a bullet to the head or anything :rofl:

nismodrifter
06-21-2004, 01:43 AM
damn shitty situation....wrong place...wrong time

xDiMSuMx
06-21-2004, 03:10 AM

i heard about that a lot when i worked at Alamo car rental
they said a lot of the vans came back with the back window shattered during the winter
they thought it was because it was really cold outside and really hot inside the car
kinda like pouring hot water into a cold glass

bighead2267
06-21-2004, 04:22 AM
WTF. i drive on that road pretty much everyday...........what's going on with the world..........damn

i'm sorry to hear that. hope u can get a deal to fix that shit

/////AMG
06-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hear man, thats damn wierd!
I don't think it could have just shattered on it own. :dunno:
If that rock wasn't in your car before, it got kicked up or someone threw it.

Ben
06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Thats BRUTAL MAN! WTF! Are you able to claim that on insurance at all?

91_Integz
06-21-2004, 09:19 AM
:eek: wow that's crazy! Sorry to hear buddy. Glad you're ok though....could have been worse

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 09:45 AM
haha thanks for the concern guys. :)
-Ben, no I don't currently have glass coverage :(

91_Integz
06-21-2004, 09:48 AM
I heard those hatch glass replacements are $$$

403Gemini
06-21-2004, 11:18 AM
damn shitty luck my friend, anyways glad to hear you and the mrs are okay

PGTze
06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I would guess that the rock fell off a large truck driving next to you or something like that. Sounds like scary shit!

turbo_equiped
06-21-2004, 11:33 AM
wholy!! thats some wierd shit!!!
i would guess its the rock too. but a rock that small only leaves chips or some marks like that....wierd it broke the whole god damn window!!

rage2
06-21-2004, 11:35 AM
They're from those construction dumptrucks that don't fucking get cleaned... caked with mud and dirt and big rocks all over the truck. On deerfoot, when the chunks of dirt get loose from going over bumps, it flies onto their big ass tires and literally launches at you like a missile. That's why there's laws against dirty ass trucks like that. Cops do pull them over and give them tickets.

It's a LOT scarier when u see it coming. I had a baseball sized rock shoot at me on deerfoot from one of these trucks near a construction zone. I swear I left a nice shitstain in my underwear. My wife was sleeping in the passenger seat, I was about 6 car lenghts behind the truck and it shot straight towards the passenger seat. Didn't even have a chance to brake or swerve. She thought she was gonna die. Destroyed my entire windshield.

My aunt had the same thing happen in a construction zone, except the rock shot and hit her bumper, triggering the airbags, knocking her out cold. Her car then slammed into the sidewalk and toasted a bus stop and a newspaper box. She was in the hospital for 2 weeks for that one.

Gotta be careful out there with all the construction going on! With these dumptrucks all over the dirt in construction areas, stay away from them!

Altezza
06-21-2004, 11:43 AM

In cases like that, a lot of times there are microfractures that form in the glass from road debris, light impacts, etc. When you're travelling down the highway, the pressure differential is sometimes enough to cascade the fracture and BOOM! There goes your friggin glass.

cman
06-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx

i heard about that a lot when i worked at Alamo car rental
they said a lot of the vans came back with the back window shattered during the winter
they thought it was because it was really cold outside and really hot inside the car
kinda like pouring hot water into a cold glass

the incident with my parents van happened in the summer, my friends happened in the winter during a cold spell.

dkny_stylez
06-21-2004, 12:18 PM
that is messed, i don't understand how it got your rear window:dunno:

Zephyr
06-21-2004, 12:21 PM
man when we first got the 5 series 2 weeks after this big ass rock flew onto the front left pillar doing web effect on the left side of the front glass and dented the hood badly and the pillar was bent in...lucky we had full coverage...but it sucked cuz it was a new car just came out of the lot, didnt even have its plates yet...

at least ur ok and it wasnt from the front..

Chester
06-21-2004, 12:28 PM
that is some fucked up shit:thumbsdow

b16Ateg
06-21-2004, 12:39 PM
sandino i might be able to talk to my g'fs aunt and she could probally get ya a deal at apple.. i will check and let ya know

CKY
06-21-2004, 12:41 PM
sucks to hear that happen to you man, have you found out how much it is to replace yet?

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Just finally had the chance to call around, I was away all weekend, and it was just over $1000 installed until I found one that could do it for $850 installed. So much for the much needed repairs I have been planning...:thumbsdow

blueripper6
06-21-2004, 12:44 PM
that really sucks. Rage, same thing happened to our family when we were heading down to highriver, about 6-8 car lengths behind a huge truck, my dad was just changing lanes when I saw a HUGE rock coming, my dad didnt see cause he was shoulderchecking, when he looked forward is when it hit hte glass and left a HUGE circle spyder web, My mom was sleeping in the passenger, she almost had a heart attack :P We stopped and the truck stopped too, he apologized and offered to pay for the windshield.

Scarey stuff. Oh yea, we also hit a bird going on deerfoot that left a nice long crack in our windshield, R.I.P. Chirpy.

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by b16Ateg
sandino i might be able to talk to my g'fs aunt and she could probally get ya a deal at apple.. i will check and let ya know

Hey thanks buddy, I have an appointment for tomorrow morning so if you find out just pm me or give me a shout. :D

91_Integz
06-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Sandino, I know you hate A1 but did you check them out? $850 sounds insane! Some much for the new tranny hey? :(

b16Ateg
06-21-2004, 01:18 PM
were is your appointment at?? what place.. cos i will try and find out tonight if i can... she is in nova scotia..and owns like 5 apple auto glasses out there and she will call calgary and tell them to give you cost or what not thats what they did when i cracked my back window in my teg from the subs.. so ya.. i will let you know hopefully tongiht

driftkingAE86
06-21-2004, 05:48 PM
The Same thing happened to my Eight-Six a few years ago and all I found was a bullet that still had it's shell on.

finboy
06-21-2004, 05:59 PM
why not go to the wrecker and grab another hatch, then take the hatch with the good glass to a class shop and just pay for the instal?

Lennon
06-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by finboy
why not go to the wrecker and grab another hatch, then take the hatch with the good glass to a class shop and just pay for the instal?

Thats a good idea, sorry to hear about your window man. I know the pain all to well.

A_3
06-21-2004, 06:23 PM
My mom took a huge rock through the back window on high way 8 from a semi when turning off... scariest shit ever!!! and super expensive to repair!

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by b16Ateg
were is your appointment at?? what place.. cos i will try and find out tonight if i can... she is in nova scotia..and owns like 5 apple auto glasses out there and she will call calgary and tell them to give you cost or what not thats what they did when i cracked my back window in my teg from the subs.. so ya.. i will let you know hopefully tongiht

It's at glass master, show them your crack!
Wow those are some hardcore subs man....lol

jaylo
06-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Damn that sux, I like your car and sux to see that happen! By the way some guy was selling a hatch on bargain finder a couple of months ago. Maybe you can try to find the number. But I will try to find it for you okay?

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 91_Integz
Sandino, I know you hate A1 but did you check them out? $850 sounds insane! Some much for the new tranny hey? :(

Even if they did have one I don't have time to dick around getting it and then having it installed yadda.....gotta get it done, have to work day and night all this week probly and I need my car. But I did think of getting a used one but with my luck right now a used one would be faulty...lol

As for the tranny for jen's car, it'll have to wait along with my axles :whipped:

illeagle
06-21-2004, 06:54 PM
glass master's or greg's glass are good places.... IS the dog OK?

finboy
06-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Even if they did have one I don't have time to dick around getting it and then having it installed yadda.....gotta get it done, have to work day and night all this week probly and I need my car. But I did think of getting a used one but with my luck right now a used one would be faulty...lol

As for the tranny for jen's car, it'll have to wait along with my axles :whipped:

there are quite a few integra's at the wrecker, $40.

a1 uses a great company to do their glass and they do the propper prep work so it won't rust around the glass, and you get a free couresy car.

might that work?

fast95pony
06-21-2004, 06:59 PM

Weird ! My room mates Dodge minivan had a side window shatter one day last Spring . It was parked at our house .We thought some kids throwing rocks might have done it,but we couldn't find any rocks , or see a point of impact. It just....shattered.

kiwi
06-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow, that's so creepy!
*cue x-files music*
ha ha, j/k

Glad you're okay, & hopefully you get a good deal to fix the glass

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
glass master's or greg's glass are good places.... IS the dog OK?

haha yeah ol' lucy is fine, she was at home waiting for us.

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by finboy

there are quite a few integra's at the wrecker, $40.

a1 uses a great company to do their glass and they do the propper prep work so it won't rust around the glass, and you get a free couresy car.

might that work?

I forgot they have a ton of courtesy cars so that might work. If they are open at 7am then there's a chance. That's if b16Ateg can't get me a deal, I do like "new".

Superesc
06-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Damn crappy luck!!!! That's why I never drive on Deerfoot! bumps and now Rocks!!!

Redlyne_mr2
06-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Wow man that really sucks. After hearing yours and rage2 stories Im going to be more careful when im around construction zones and dump trucks. Look at it this way rear hatch damage is better than rear quarter damage or getting the rock through the windshield into your face

Moonracer
06-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Superesc
Damn crappy luck!!!! That's why I never drive on Deerfoot! bumps and now Rocks!!!

And don't forget about the crazy retard drivers.

civic_stylez
06-22-2004, 08:16 PM
thats a freaky story... my girlfriend lives in douglasdale and on friday i was picking her up and we were turning on to deerfoot from douglasdale and there were 2 rocks about that size sitting right in the middle of the lane..it almost seems like somebody put them there because they were sitting right beside each other...i had to drive around them because im pretty sure my car would have hit them... it just seemed weird with no construction there how these rocks were just sitting in the middle of the lane...kind of a pointless story but after reading yours im gonna keep my eyes open.

fcuk_it
06-22-2004, 09:09 PM
They're from those construction dumptrucks that don't fucking get cleaned... caked with mud and dirt and big rocks all over the truck. On deerfoot, when the chunks of dirt get loose from going over bumps, it flies onto their big ass tires and literally launches at you like a missile. That's why there's laws against dirty ass trucks like that. Cops do pull them over and give them tickets.

It's a LOT scarier when u see it coming. I had a baseball sized rock shoot at me on deerfoot from one of these trucks near a construction zone. I swear I left a nice shitstain in my underwear. My wife was sleeping in the passenger seat, I was about 6 car lenghts behind the truck and it shot straight towards the passenger seat. Didn't even have a chance to brake or swerve. She thought she was gonna die. Destroyed my entire windshield.

fuck same shit happened to me on friday approaching the calf robe at traffic hour... now i gotta replace a less then 2 month old windsheild... argh :guns: :whipped: :banghead:

Dj_Stylz
06-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Damn man

rage2
06-22-2004, 09:58 PM
If I remember right, it happened to some chick on deerfoot a year or two ago, the rock went thru the windshield and nailed her in the head, killing her. Cops did a 2 month crackdown on dirty trucks.

lam-boy
06-22-2004, 10:02 PM
i got smoked on my passenger side of the front window. rock so small yet it left a nice crack in my front window now..:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

WGR4Pussies
06-22-2004, 10:24 PM
i'd hate to get a rock in my window.

I saw on a tv awhile back some girl in the Us got impailed by 9 inch nail in the chest, it shot right through the front window, and hit her in the back seat of their mini-van, nailing her to the seat, and nobody in the car realized she got hit, they were just like, "fuck, a rock hit are window, damn it" she lived tho.

wildkarrde
06-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Well, same thing happened to me today, only I was on my bike with my buddy on the back.

A fist size rock fell out of a truck, bounced straight off my front tire, and flew off to the side of the road. If that would have hit me, or the plastics on my bike, I would have been FUCKED.

D'z Nutz
06-23-2004, 02:34 AM
I had something like that happened to me, but fortunately the rock was small enough that all I got off with was a cracked windshield. The damn truck was shooting rocks and pebbles all over the road.

For future reference, is there anyone you can file a complaint to if you see this happen or if your car is damaged by rocks coming from a dirty truck? The trucking company? The city? The police? There should be if it can effect people's driving abilities so drastically. You wouldn't want to be swerving around the road because a rock smashes into your windshield during rush hour on Deerfoot :thumbsdow

Moonracer
06-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Wow I didn't realize how often this shit happens. This must be why there are so many glass companies that replace auto glass, duh. And hearing some of the stories makes me want to get some bullet proof glass installed....:guns:

Digital_7
06-23-2004, 04:15 AM
You know guy's.... Over here in the Maritime's.. if you get hit by a rock that come's off a Truck, and if you manage to get his plate number, it's the company that has to repair your windows. I would assume it's the same out west...

frostyda9
06-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Shitty deal man :(

Kamen
06-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Sorry to hear that happen!
First time I've heard of something like this though...

JCX
06-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

weird, sounds kinda fishy if there was no evidence of why they both broke.

Same thing happened to my old man's minivan. Window was atomized one morning. :cry: