PDA

View Full Version : Rust Spots

max_boost
06-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Taking a look at my RSX when I took it into the bodyshop today, I noticed about 3-4 minor rust spots on the car. My car is not even 1 year old!!! :eek: When my gf first told me, I thought she was crazy:D

I was basically told, rock chipped through the clear coat, through the paint, through the primer, right to the metal. :eek: WTF? Water then seeps in, causing surface rust. Are Calgary rocks from Krypton? Or am I missing something?

Anyone else have this problem?:dunno: :banghead:
To think I might possibly have to repaint my car so soon, I am confused.:confused:

max_boost
06-21-2004, 02:03 PM
To add, of all the cars I've owned, I've never seen such a thing:nut:

heavyD
06-21-2004, 02:48 PM
I assume that Acura will warranty the paint cuz that ain't right. BTW what were you taking it to the body shop for?

1badPT
06-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Most warranties have a section dealing specifically with rust. I'd have a look through that and then talk with the dealer. Make sure you know before going in because some dealers will try anything to not put it through as a warranty claim and if you know where you stand from the warranty then you can stand your ground.

Most new cars in Canada have a 3 year coverage against rust, but you'll have to check what your coverage is specifically before making a claim.

SI-vic
06-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I have the same problem on my civic as well
.... even though my car is 5 years old.
I have a strip of rust on my door too.
argh. stupid rocks.

max_boost
06-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I took the car into National to get my bodykit on:D
I asked Tony if Acura would warranty such a claim and he said no because it stems from rock chips. I know the velocity of a rock traveling at high speeds can penetrate the paint but come on......LOL

I'm shocked so that's why I am asking the Beyonders if they have such an issue on their cars. :dunno: :dunno:

The unfortunate thing is, the rust spots will get bigger over time and that's fcuking gay! Like I said, car is not even 1 year old with around 24,000kms?!?!

4doorj
06-21-2004, 03:43 PM
when u bought the rsx im pretty sure it comes with a 3 year rust warranty...
they told me i had it...
call them

max_boost
06-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Well, just talk to Acura and they basically said, if it's caused by rock chips breaking the finish of the paint, I'm SOL!

He told me to take my car by for a look but it's pretty obvious it was caused by the rocks:rofl:

Ahhh fock.......:banghead:

Akagi Redsuns
06-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Most rust warrants are against perforation.

My Toyota has the following.....

Rust-Through: 60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Which means, you need the rust to form a hole in your car.....something that would take a while. I have the same issue with the hood of my car. Had to do a survey of my hood chips and used a swirl remover to get rid of the rust and cover it with touch up paint. Not to pleased with the ultra thin water based paint on modern cars versus the older style enamel based paint.

4doorj
06-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well, just talk to Acura and they basically said, if it's caused by rock chips breaking the finish of the paint, I'm SOL!

He told me to take my car by for a look but it's pretty obvious it was caused by the rocks:rofl:

Ahhh fock.......:banghead:

so basically rust warranties suck...:thumbsdow

hondarunner
06-21-2004, 04:13 PM
i have an 00 lude and i have one rust spot on the front of my hood, from a rock chip. I was just as shocked as you when i first saw it.

T5_X
06-21-2004, 04:23 PM
My girlfriend's 200sx had them on the roof of the car. I think LOTS of cars have these chips with rust, you have to look pretty hard to find em most of the time as they're so small.

max_boost
06-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Since it's in the shop right now, I think what I am going to do is repaint the sections that has rust and then apply film protection in the specific areas.:banghead: Talk about unexpected expense......

1-Bar
06-21-2004, 05:13 PM
on my 2000 lude, I have small rust spots in a couple places. There's a lot building up in the rear wheel well b/c of that ghey rubber strip that lines the top and seals in water. So yeah, took those pieces off....

I'm gonna paint my car Championship White next year...so yeah, I'mma leave it. Also its way better to manage then the ghey PPW with their tri-stage paint.....

autobodygal
06-21-2004, 05:25 PM
I see it all the time and have never seen a dealership warranty it yet. Even if it has rusted through they would say it isn't covered because of the rock chip. Factory paints aren't that thick, manufacturers use as little paint as possible. There are even some colors that you can see the hazing of the primer through the paint when you know what you are looking for.

max_boost
06-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
on my 2000 lude, I have small rust spots in a couple places. There's a lot building up in the rear wheel well b/c of that ghey rubber strip that lines the top and seals in water. So yeah, took those pieces off....

I'm gonna paint my car Championship White next year...so yeah, I'mma leave it. Also its way better to manage then the ghey PPW with their tri-stage paint..... That's another issue I have to contend with. Premium White Pearl is difficult to match, if I repaint the roof, a couple panels and the 4 piece kit, I might as well just freaking repaint the car!:banghead:

rc2002
06-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I noticed a few rust spots on the my hood from Rock chips too.

Maybe if us lude owners banded together, we could petition Honda into paying for our rust. I think the rust on the hood is unavoidable - the lip of the hood is just placed perfectly for rock chips. I'm going to 3M my entire front end when I get it repainted!

I wonder if anyone has 3M'd their entire car? :D

Altezza
06-21-2004, 05:38 PM
It's an issue with the new environmentally friendly paint processes that manufacturers use. The paint is therefore weaker than what we were used to in the earlier days.

1-Bar
06-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I noticed a few rust spots on the my hood from Rock chips too.

Maybe if us lude owners banded together, we could petition Honda into paying for our rust. I think the rust on the hood is unavoidable - the lip of the hood is just placed perfectly for rock chips. I'm going to 3M my entire front end when I get it repainted!

I wonder if anyone has 3M'd their entire car? :D

I'm down for this....it would be fun to 3M the whole car, hahha....

Originally posted by Max_Boost That's another issue I have to contend with. Premium White Pearl is difficult to match, if I repaint the roof, a couple panels and the 4 piece kit, I might as well just freaking repaint the car!

yeah...paint matching PPW is a pain as well. Good ol' sunbleachiing. If you compared my car w/ your's it would be a lot more yellow!! I leave my car parked outside all the time.

88CRX
06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
you should get one of those acura paint pens.... when you get a chip put some paint over it. before it rusts.

its doesnt look perfect but it sure wont rust :thumbsup:

and btw - as long as you dont leave it forever it can be easily fixed..... its just surface rust..... sand/grind down, body filler, and paint :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
06-21-2004, 07:14 PM
girlRACER's old G20 started to get rust marks from stone chips as well. As mentioned it is not caused by warranty so 3M is the best way to go if youre going to drive your car year round. Paint jobs are getting shittier and shittier

That.Guy.S30
06-21-2004, 07:14 PM
hah max if you think acura paint sucks dont buy a subaru.. hahaah i got one on my rear quarter panel. the subaru guys just used touch up paint on it. i think i have to get it painted agian.. o well