PDA

View Full Version : hmm, maybe the srt-4 isn't so bad after all

finboy
10-24-2002, 11:51 PM
just read the scc article.

i may have to look into one of those neons in a few years, but i would need to change some things.

1. no spoiler
2. 3 inch straight pipe, hi flow muffler, 1 exit pipe
3. lowered

then mods.

14.1 1/4 time. WOW. and it actually doesn totally look like ass. plus 1 cut in the hood and you have cold air intake. slap on a k&n, boost controler, and maybe a turbo from the mazda speed garrett ball bearing turbo, and limited slip.

talk about under rated hp and torque ratings.

plus the front end looks a bit meaner than the regular neon.

the yellow would have to go though.

Joe Malms
10-25-2002, 12:15 AM
it also dyno'd higher than its quoted (flywheel) numbers.
very impressive.

GTS Jeff
10-25-2002, 12:26 AM
how about the pt cruiser gt? same engine..

P. Daddy Pedro
10-25-2002, 02:34 AM
Yehat he only difference is Pt cruisers look like ASS. The SRT-4' are orgasmically, affordable, sports cars, with a unique sporty look, but i agree yellow would have to go :thumbsdow

Ferio_vti
10-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
how about the pt cruiser gt? same engine..

Same turbo, same platform.

Tilly
10-25-2002, 09:51 AM
OF course it's not so bad.
5.8 0-60!!!!
isn't that .1 seconds quicker than the S2000?
Neons are also well known for thier handling, just look at thier reputation in SCCA racing.
That is my (reasonable, and affordable) dream car.

legendboy
10-25-2002, 09:59 AM
wow, 215hp and 245lb/ft !

kevie88
10-25-2002, 10:13 AM
The one SCC has makes 223hp and 250ft/lbs....At the wheels. Sounds like a contender.. a real one this time.

90_Shelby
10-25-2002, 10:23 AM
the turbo on the SRT has the turbine housing cast into the ext manifold.....................................no easy turbo swap without a new manifold although apparently MOpar is offering one. I also heard the PT will get a water to air intercooler.

DSM Power
10-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Somebody just mentioned in another thread that it's not coming here though. And besides, the one SCC tested was a pre-production model so it's bound to be somewhat different when it hits the streets. :dunno:

Hollywood
10-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
Somebody just mentioned in another thread that it's not coming here though. And besides, the one SCC tested was a pre-production model so it's bound to be somewhat different when it hits the streets. :dunno:

We not getting it here? Is it because of the FMIC? I heard that Canada saftly regulations does not like FMIC's due to safety reasons, same reason why we won't get the EVO as well from what I understand.

I'm very happy that Dodge is making this car..import manufactors need to shake things up and offer some turbo cars at good prices as competion. People want turbo'd cars. One good reason is..Take a civic, put an exhaust on, you get what 1-10HP mostly in the 5HP range. Put it on a turbo and you get 10-40HP gain. Makes that 1K worth spending on a good exhaust.

GTS Jeff
10-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood (2)

We not getting it here? Is it because of the FMIC? I heard that Canada saftly regulations does not like FMIC's due to safety reasons, same reason why we won't get the EVO as well from what I understand.

I'm very happy that Dodge is making this car..import manufactors need to shake things up and offer some turbo cars at good prices as competion. People want turbo'd cars. One good reason is..Take a civic, put an exhaust on, you get what 1-10HP mostly in the 5HP range. Put it on a turbo and you get 10-40HP gain. Makes that 1K worth spending on a good exhaust. usually FMICs cause problems with safety regulations in the north american market because having an FMIC means having a thinner bumper. a thinner bumper has a harder time passing the regulations for low speed impact...ie the bumper has to be able to withstand a 10km/h collision with no damage....or something like that

4wheeldrift
10-25-2002, 03:36 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean a thinner bumper, but having all that piping running around back there can make it very interesting trying to fit enough shock absorbing material and equipment to make it pass the tests in the same form as that model elsewhere in the world. There's nothing stopping them from putting a different bumper on for north america except for the cost.

szw
10-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Those kick ass.

But the thing about pre-production model...it could go either way. Usually the pre-production model has more kinks than the production vehicle...you are implying the opposite will happen. Might be though, that they made the pre-production one a lot more powerful just to get the hype out there.

dj_honda
10-25-2002, 03:48 PM
i always thought water to air intercoolers were inefficient for daily driving???

but yea....i dunno bout the neon, i admit it could be a fast car, but it still is a neon and i don't like the styling either

also, even though it is a powerful engine etc. who know about its reliablilty?? it may be powerful, but maybe only for the short time it doesn't break down, especially since turbo'd cars take more wear to the engine.

4wheeldrift
10-25-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
i always thought water to air intercoolers were inefficient for daily driving??? Just depends on how big the supply tank is.

mwmhong
10-26-2002, 01:42 PM
I just picked up the SCC issue with the SRT-4 in it, I was amazed that they actually liked the car and had mostly positive things to say about it. :)

max_boost
10-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Hmmm.....14.1 is very fast.......maybe I should go lease a Neon since they will probably be 1.9% interest or something........bag the crap out of them, and then give them back to the dealer:D

RiCE-DaDDy
10-26-2002, 02:44 PM
main reason why the evo8 isnt coming to canada is the bumper, dont know if the fmic has something to do with it tho

Hollywood
10-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
I just picked up the SCC issue with the SRT-4 in it, I was amazed that they actually liked the car and had mostly positive things to say about it. :)

Yes but SCC has the habit of loving the protoypes/not production then bashing them when they are released. Like the specV for example, they said the loved the shit out of it when they had the proto, then when it came out they bashed it for this and that.

But it's pretty hard to hate a car that does 0-60 in 5.8 sec and costs around 26K'ish CAD. Now they just need to ditch the neon body and platform and throw the engine in a small, light RWD car. Similair with they wanted out of the dodge razor.

szw
10-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but SCC praised the Spec-V again later...hence its inclusion in its 8-great-rides of the year.

Hollywood
10-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by szw
Yeah, but SCC praised the Spec-V again later...hence its inclusion in its 8-great-rides of the year.

Then they semi-praised it. They had no choice but to include it in the 8 great rides, if fit the criteria too much for it not to be in it.

szw
10-26-2002, 10:33 PM
What did they say in the article trashing the spec-V?

I never got my hands on that issue