PDA

View Full Version : New Japanese Restaurant

nookmumracing
06-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Its by La Bretza (spell?) in Bridgeland by the old General Hospital. It's called "Sushi Bar Zipang" 1010 - 1 Ave N.E
Good tasting Authentic Japanese food........

Check it:thumbsup:

Stechan
08-16-2004, 10:30 PM
I agree. It's great and owned/run by a Jp couple. Good food and prices. Could maybe use a little more parking but it's not bad enough to prevent me from going again.
:thumbsup:

erikm5150
11-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Yes, Zhipang...
excellent food, a bit pricey though... but quality is top notch.
i've eaten there twice and would go back for more.

t-im
11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
what type of jap food....i'm looking for non sushi type japanese food..stuff I would find at Guu (in van) mmhm

RSeXy
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
What time are they open till? Sam and I are always going to Sakana Grill b/c of his working hours. We need a place that is open till 11-12.

Boost Infested
11-19-2004, 12:15 AM
hey Nook' we need to hook up and go for some sushi! pm me!

Fusion
12-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by t-im
what type of jap food....i'm looking for non sushi type japanese food..stuff I would find at Guu (in van) mmhm

You cannot find anything here like Guu in Vanc man. I hope some day someone open Guu here. Sick of Japanese food here...

jaysas_63
12-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Fusion

You cannot find anything here like Guu in Vanc man. I hope some day someone open Guu here. Sick of Japanese food here...

what type of dishes do they serve at this Guu place?

dragonone
12-14-2004, 03:04 AM
i don't quite remember but definitely not anything served here
it's so boring and common here
think it was red snapper w/ their own creamy wasabi sauce?
have yet to taste another plate so gd or fresh here

most places here get their fish from one of only several distributors, the freshness is determined by how long they decide to keep the fish, so fresh here means really nothing imo

Fusion
12-14-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

what type of dishes do they serve at this Guu place?

It really hard to explain man..i went there last summer.but it really cheap about 4 - 9 buck for a dish.. u cant never find that kind of food in japanese or korean restaurant here

someone in Vanc explain for me please..

t-im
12-14-2004, 03:30 AM
haha I goto guu whenever I am in vanc..which is at least 4x a year

it's like japanese appetizers & snacks etc..everything is smallish portioned

thats what I see it as

and it's cheap....

Some friends and I have hunted for a "guu" in calgary for the last few years and turned up nothing~

youngbex
12-28-2004, 12:56 PM
japanese food is almost as bad for you as mcdonalds is

GQBalla
12-28-2004, 03:13 PM
what the hell you talkin about??? japanese food is healthly!!!

RickDaTuner
12-28-2004, 03:42 PM
mm gonna go have to try that out some time

spiceboy
01-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Try Sushi San. 1004 - 1St. S.W.
Food is wicked and they certainly have some unique dishes there (similar to Guu). Of course, they still carry lots of "standard" Jap food to please the downtown crowd. If you want something special, go for dinners instead of lunches (different menus).
Prices might be a little bit more expensive than the others but the quality of food and service is well worth it.

B17a
01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by youngbex
japanese food is almost as bad for you as mcdonalds is

Please tell me you're joking?

I guess that's why Japanese people have the highest longevity in the world.:dunno:

Chinese_Legend
01-06-2005, 12:59 PM
yah i read about this bridgeland place in the newspaper...food critics gave it a great review

Speed_69
01-06-2005, 01:06 PM
let's go there sometime then chinese_legend

climer
01-11-2005, 11:41 PM
haha I goto guu whenever I am in vanc..which is at least 4x a year

it's like japanese appetizers & snacks etc..everything is smallish portioned

thats what I see it as

and it's cheap....

Some friends and I have hunted for a "guu" in calgary for the last few years and turned up nothing~

Never been/heard of Guu but it sounds like you're describing an "izakaya" type of Japanese restaurant. The type of place you'd go to have a few beers and some snacks.

Never seen a place like that out here...

CKY
01-12-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by climer

Never been/heard of Guu but it sounds like you're describing an "izakaya" type of Japanese restaurant. The type of place you'd go to have a few beers and some snacks.

Never seen a place like that out here...

so basically Guu is a japanese bar?

climer
01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
I can't speak for Guu but an "Izakaya" is a place where they have tons of appetizers but little or no main dishes. In Japan, it's a place where salaried men go after work to drink and eat.

Haven't seen one in Canada but it definitely wouldn't be classified as a typical bar.

DowntownCowboy
01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
climer has it right, Guu is a tiny "Hapa Izakaya" style restaurant which serves japanese appetizers. Most items are cooked and very unique (my fave is the fried udon noodles and the fried chicken with tartar sauce).

Here's an excellent article: http://www.vanmag.com/0302/diner.html

And quote: "Hapa Izakaya (literally “Leaf Bistro,” although Hapa is also a common Hawaiian adjective meaning bi-racial—in this case, half-Japanese and half-Canadian) "

I too am waiting for an Izakaya to open here, Vancouver has a bunch including Gyoza King, Hapa Izakaya (under renovations when I was there b4 xmas) and Guu's sister Guu with Garlic. All these are on Robson. Theres a few more too. And if you ever try go to Guu, don't confuse Guu with Gyu Teppenyaki (owned by the Tropika group) on Alberni. They're good too tho :)

(woohoo my 1st post! luv talkin bout food...)

t-im
01-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DowntownCowboy
climer has it right, Guu is a tiny "Hapa Izakaya" style restaurant which serves japanese appetizers. Most items are cooked and very unique (my fave is the fried udon noodles and the fried chicken with tartar sauce).

Here's an excellent article: http://www.vanmag.com/0302/diner.html

And quote: "Hapa Izakaya (literally “Leaf Bistro,” although Hapa is also a common Hawaiian adjective meaning bi-racial—in this case, half-Japanese and half-Canadian) "

I too am waiting for an Izakaya to open here, Vancouver has a bunch including Gyoza King, Hapa Izakaya (under renovations when I was there b4 xmas) and Guu's sister Guu with Garlic. All these are on Robson. Theres a few more too. And if you ever try go to Guu, don't confuse Guu with Gyu Teppenyaki (owned by the Tropika group) on Alberni. They're good too tho :)

(woohoo my 1st post! luv talkin bout food...)

i miss guu...i need some asap!