PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate Course

BebeAphrodite
06-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Hmm.. so I enrolled in the Real Estate course coming up in July at MRC since I'm doing nothing at the moment.

What are some expectations I should have for the course?
Is it hard since it's only three weeks long?

Any advice from anyone who has taken the class before?

Thanks.

ZorroAMG
06-22-2004, 12:13 AM
No, it's easy. The expectations are:

-You should know how to read
-You should speak english
-You should be able to use a calculator
-You should have common sense

If you can't do any of the above mentioned items....drop out.

Weapon_R
06-22-2004, 12:26 AM
It's easy but its pretty long - I think the test is several sections.

Hell, if MYWYFISHOT passed it, i'm sure its super easy :D jk

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Well I was figuring that it would be really easy considering how I called and registered just like that... no application forms or anything.
This one idiot I knew failed the test four times... after the third failing you have to retake the entire class.
But I didn't want to underestimate the class just because I didn't want to be so cocky that I do bad in it. ha ha ha
O well at least when I'm back at uni again in the fall I'll have some sorta licencing...
btw if you opt to not pay the fees every year does that mean that you have to retake the class again?

http://www.mtroyal.ca/conted/realestate/agents.shtml

and are all the fees at the bottom what I need to pay?

blah... I can't stand the thought of 9-4 for three weeks tho, I haven't done that much school since Junior High.. ha ha ha, and for what? an 'education' that I'll never use to make money off of!! :D

LudeRoca
06-22-2004, 01:22 AM
I was thinking about doing the exact same course. what pre-requisites do you need to take it. Or highschool course's and marks?

LudeRoca
06-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
I was thinking about doing the exact same course. what pre-requisites do you need to take it. Or highschool course's and marks?

NEVERMIND I GOT IT

ZorroAMG
06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
The test is like 150 multiple choice questions and you have like 180 minutes...not a hard test really...can't remember the details as I took it 6 yrs ago...

Every two years you have to take 18 credits worth of courses to keep your license up to date but if you pass that time frame, you'll have to re take everything

Why are you taking the course if you don't plan on using it btw?

Good luck...

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 10:27 AM
^^-- dad deals w/ real estate and he wants to cut the commision costs so he got me to enroll in the class ... blah.. so much school

maybe I should just take it in august instead
hmmm...

MGC
06-22-2004, 01:03 PM
hey i was planning to take that course to, but i was wondering about the prerequisites. being asian and all to I notice that some of the asian agents has not high school education and there english isen't top notch. So I was wondering how do they get there license. is there a different path to go or is there a loop hole i'm not aware of?

Thanks

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
you need to prove that you have at least a high school diploma

ZorroAMG
06-22-2004, 02:33 PM
If your dad is a broker and you are the agent under him, that is the only way he'll save on comission. You have to "park" your license with a brokerage in order to practice real estate legally under RECA and CREB (real estate council of AB and Calgary RE board) so unless you work for him or give up your comission you won't be able to help him much....

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm planning on giving up my commision.

ZorroAMG
06-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Well good luck then..

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 03:21 PM
^^-- do you use ur licence?

ZorroAMG
06-22-2004, 05:26 PM
I did when I did commercial leasing and investment sales for Torode and when I sold condos for my dad's development company, now I use it to wipe my....LOL J/K
I have a new international investment project in the works that will require my license again in the near future...

BebeAphrodite
07-05-2004, 05:02 PM
ya.. so i'm the youngest in the class
some of the other students in the class have kids older than me

ZorroAMG
07-05-2004, 05:21 PM
haha told ya so! Is George Loades still teaching?

max_boost
07-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
ya.. so i'm the youngest in the class
some of the other students in the class have kids older than me True that! I was the youngest too when I took it two years ago

crx62
07-05-2004, 09:26 PM
isnt real estate alot of paper pushing?

ZorroAMG
07-05-2004, 11:58 PM
^:rolleyes:

Skyline_Addict
07-29-2004, 02:30 AM
is the course expensive?

i could just take it for fun.

/////AMG
07-29-2004, 10:00 AM

Seems like this course requires almost nothing. Why is it so cheap and you only need a HS diploma?:confused:

turbo_equiped
07-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Yea, my brother just finished it like two months ago. He told me everyone there was old. Basically adults do that, but i guess it depends you can too. He passed it and got the result and all but i heard to completely pass it you have to get in with some Real Estate company and so some audition or something like that. :dunno:
I am not too sure about that, he was saying something like that. After that last part is when you have your complete license.

ZorroAMG
07-29-2004, 04:53 PM
When you pass the course, you have to work for a real estate company and register your license with them. That is the only way to legally practice real estate. You must be with a company before 3 yrs is up otherwise you have to re-take the course.

BebeAphrodite
07-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
is the course expensive?

i could just take it for fun.

Nope it's only like $1150 or something like that but it's completely useless so there's no point in taking it.

Originally posted by /////AMG

Seems like this course requires almost nothing. Why is it so cheap and you only need a HS diploma?:confused:

It does require nothing because it's a stupid course.

Redlyne_mr2
07-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Zorro when did you start in realestate? Ive been told that its very hard to start in realestate at a young age. People are often reluctant to take you seriously and hire you. There are also alot of procedures and legal proceedings that only come with experience. My dad owns a commercial brokerage firm and he wants me to get into the business, christ I can barely grow facial hair let along sell a 5 million dollar property.:rofl:

ZorroAMG
07-31-2004, 01:22 AM
I've been licensed since 1998...

It is a hard business but like all self made businesses (including my current job) being too young is a strike against you. I am 26 so it;s actually getting quite good cause all the buyers my age lik edealing with someone that can relate to them.....not too many 20yr olds buying RE though :)

The procedures and legalities are all covered in the course, it's a really simple concept, selling RE..just be competent.

BTW, when I was selling commercial property and penthouses in 2001, I couldn't grow a beard either :D didn't stop me, shouldn't stop you!!