PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd 1st car thread

ks32561
06-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi im sure no one remembers, but not too many months ago I made a thread asking what type of car I should get. In about a month I should have about $7000 (US). Originally I wanted to go all out and completely mod out my car, but I dont think ill have enough time to work to make enough $$ to do so as I am starting college in August. Originally I wanted to drift, and before that I was into muscle cars so I developed a bit of a fetish for RWD. Now I just want a car thats fun to drive but I still prefer RWD. As far as RWD goes I like Mustang GTs and 240SXs, I cant really decide between the two so I was hoping someone could enlighten me on which of the two would be cheaper to just make fast enough to be fun to drive. Heres another scenario, I have lots of nice curves around my house and Ive found i to be incredibly fun to just punch it when driving them. Im not sure however this is the best thing to do in a RWD car. God forbid I get a FWD cause I dont like them that much but I dont feel like spinning out and dying. Maybe an AWD, but I dont know any good AWD cars with good power that can be bought with 7k. Can anyone helpl me based on what Ive written, BTW does anyone hae any idea as to about how much money Id have spend to get a 240sx to have about 250hp. I can invest only about 2,000 in aftermarket parts in a car, so if anyone can give me a suggestion on the car I can get the best performance out of with that amount of money.

I apologize for my "Novel" but I dont want to buy a car and regret it. Thanks in advance

EDIT: BTW I should probably add that snow+RWD wont be an issue for me as I havent seen snow since I was about 5.

rage2
06-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Spend $1000 on a good multi-day driving school and buy something $1000 cheaper. It'll make those curves much more safe and enjoyable even within speed limits, regardless if your car choice is a FWD, RWD or AWD.

ks32561
06-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Thats not really an option for me as my parents want me to get a car with low miles and basically everything that costs below 7000 and is a car that I would be interested my parents have found unacceptable. If only they had let me get that Grand Torino! And I cant wait to get a car till later as I have to be able to drive to school. But oh man I cant wait to get my car there is this one short bridge that I cant wait to drive, its inclined half the way and declines the other half and does about 3/4 of a circle. Im sure that thats nothing to some people but to me, its awesome. Speed limits arent too much of an issue either, cause many of the areas that I have scoped out to joyride are desolate at certain times (during the day too). I would also like to be able to do some 180s and stuff. So I kinda dont want to sacrifice the RWD. BTW Im going to start small and go slow and gradually increase my speed. So dont worry about me. Should I get roll bars though?

EstoMax
06-22-2004, 01:09 AM
roll bars... get suspension and brakes first if you planning on playing in the curves, gotta stay optimistic not prepare for rolling ur car :)

I would get a 240sx, those are awesome rwd cars, and almost 50/50 weight distribution too. kinda biased there though, since i want one myself : )

ks32561
06-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Well I typed a really good response to that, TWICE both times my computer went loco and deleted it all. Yea 240sxs are cool cars and all, and I was thinking of doing an engine swap (sr20det) when the stock motor starts giving me some grief. That might take a while though. Basically for a 240 im just looking for the most cost effective way to reach 250hp, whether I swap or not. But for any car I want to put my emphesis on handling cause I know that if I can get a good enough turn I can feel like im going alot faster. Only problem is the Mustang GT starts out with ALOT more power cause 155 horsepower is kinda lame to start with ecspecially cause the car likes premium gas. Anyone know if the basic bolt ons will add more power to the 240sx?

ks32561
06-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Anyone have anything to add? Ill probably just end up getting a mustang, basically because I cant seem to find a 240. I havent gone to any of the dealers as of yet, but none of the classifieds have any :cry: . Another reason I might opt for Mustang is simply because it seems to be the quickest for the buck, but Id imagine that with 285lbs of torque that the handling probably isnt too great. Thats not a good idea for someone who wants curves to be their main source of thrill, is it? Also though I feel kinda strange getting a stang though so many ppl have them, at least comparable to the number of ppl in civics,(nothing against civics, I know they are good reliable cars with alot of aftermarket support, but I dont like them)

KoukiS14
06-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by ks32561
Only problem is the Mustang GT starts out with ALOT more power cause 155 horsepower is kinda lame to start with ecspecially cause the car likes premium gas. Anyone know if the basic bolt ons will add more power to the 240sx?

Yeah 155hp is kind of weaksauce... As for it needing Premium, im using Midgrade now with NO ill affects (pinging)

The KA isnt the best motor out there for bolt on power. However there seems to be more KA turbo'd 240's poppin up. That would be money better spent.

All in all, get whatever makes you happy and enjoy the ride :burnout:

habsfan
06-23-2004, 08:24 AM
the KA isnt bad when it comes to bolt ons actually. you can gain a good 20hp or so with an exhaust, intake, header and underdrive pulley.

I always thought that the KA24DE and KA24E ran on regular? :confused:

ks32561
06-24-2004, 03:11 AM
All in all, get whatever makes you happy and enjoy the ride

Yea I completely agree with that subject, but im really bad about impulse buying and regretting it later(especially that stupid Clie). I really dont want a $7000 regret though. I think ill enjoy my car whether it is a 240 or a mustang. However I like te syling of the 240sxs way more than the mustang so I figure if I see one Ill get it but if not I can close my eyes and find a good stang. actually saw a Eclipse GSX today and it was painted up(shoe polish) like it might be for so im goinng to cross my fingers and hope its for sale. Those cars are hard to get around here, my brother started looking for one a year and a half ago and this is the first one that ive seen for sale since then.

BigMass
06-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ks32561
Maybe an AWD, but I dont know any good AWD cars with good power that can be bought with 7k.

In the US you should be able to spend 3000 and get a pretty mint AWD 1G Talon. Spend 1000 on maintenace making it perfect and another 2000 on mods making it so fast you will be smoking Mustangs. Save the extra 1000 on future repairs that might be needed.

ks32561
06-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Wow that GSX is for sale, actually its on ebay and theres abunch of pictures of it, im going to go look at it tomorrow and hopefully put some money down to keep the guy from selling it till I can get the full 7k. I only saw the car from the distance in real life, and when I called I asked the guy if the car was for sale and he was very confused, and he said what are you talking about you didnt see it on eBay? So anyway im hoping to get this car, my mom doesnt like eclipses that much, but hopefully if it drives well, she will let me get it.

I think I will have a heart attack if my mom doesnt let me get this car, but ill go insane if someone else does the buy it now option.
The car is at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6352&item=2483019506&rd=1

ks32561
06-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Ehh so I decided not to even attempt to get that GSX after reading up on crank walking etc... for high mileage eclipses. Now Ive found a 240sx that I could possibly get, and now I cant decide if Id rather have that or the mustang GT. I still cant figure out how much it really costs to do an engine conversion into the 240 (sr20det or rb25det) so I really cant decide, or If I just want to turbo the KA. I might just go with the mustang and put some nice suspension gear on it. But Id much rather have an SR or RB 240sx.