PDA

View Full Version : Banana Jaks or BubbleMania

gkAeris
06-22-2004, 12:31 AM
what do you guys think?

which is the better place for Bubble Tea????
like overall experience including foods, service, atmosphere ect??

That.Guy.S30
06-22-2004, 12:37 AM
i like goin to dessert house. but i do occasionally go to bannana jaks becuase my firned and his older borther own it. and plus pals of mine work there.

GT3
06-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Banana Jacks, but sometime i dont like when they turn on music so loud.

lam-boy
06-22-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by gkAeris
what do you guys think?

which is the better place for Bubble Tea????
like overall experience including foods, service (jaks is better because i work there in terms of service hahaha), atmosphere ect??

mango green tea with jelly..:rofl: :angel:

gkAeris
06-22-2004, 01:00 AM
oh i know and Lychee Gr Tea + Jelly and Gr apple Gr Tea (for the lady) and also Red Bean slush...and lots of Chicken Wings and Chicken Karrage correct?

:nut:

lam-boy
06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by gkAeris
oh i know and Lychee Gr Tea + Jelly and Gr apple Gr Tea (for the lady) and also Red Bean slush...and lots of Chicken Wings and Chicken Karrage correct?

:nut:

:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

rogue
06-22-2004, 01:06 AM
i like the pinapple passion fruit bubble cream slush at bubblemania but also the summerlove i think it is called at Banana Jaks

CKY
06-22-2004, 01:50 AM
i'm not too sure about bubble tea but i love going to BJs and just hang out with friends, there aren't too many cafes like this in calgary aimed at the younger customers

Importz
06-22-2004, 03:42 AM
same shit...all taste the same....

aiy_yah
06-22-2004, 07:21 AM
It's a toss up. The drinks at Banana Jak's have gone downhill since the original owners sold it.

The service at Bubblemania leaves a lot to be desired, but has pretty good wings.:drool:

As for the loud music thing, I always thought it was a good idea. It annoys the people enough so that they will pay and leave, therefore freeing tables for the people waiting in line to get a table. Ever notice that it only happens when it's busy?:rofl:

in*10*se
06-22-2004, 07:47 AM
fobs... i tell you... :dunno: :rolleyes:

pinoyhero
06-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Try again with the occasional Desert house.

turboMiata
06-22-2004, 07:50 AM
They both suck for BT. The best place is Desert House in Chinatown. And since when do people expect service when they go to a chinese joint.

Ben
06-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata
They both suck for BT. The best place is Desert House in Chinatown. And since when do people expect service when they go to a chinese joint.

I agree. Bubblemania is trash, they have beat wings and they take FOREVER to bring your drink.

Banana Jaks is a nicer establishment, however still mediocre food/drinks. Leaves a lot to be desired (never been there when gkaeris is working tho :( )

Desert House has my favorite bubble tea in Calgary, but the last time I was there it took 25 min to get it which is absolutly unacceptable. What IS the deal wth service and these places? Must be part of the code or something to not serve white people. hahaha

Altezza
06-22-2004, 10:59 AM

:werd: Dessert House is best for BT...but then again, we are choosing the better of the worsts. Bubblemania has tasty seasoned wings!

rage2
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Bubblemania has great MELON Milk Tea.

girlRACER
06-22-2004, 11:18 AM
I like the drinks and snacks at BJak's better. However, when I come out of BJak's I always wreak of smoke. (seems like every other asian there smokes like a chimney stack) When I come out of BMania I smell like grease. Hard decision :dunno: :D

Dessert House is my favorite.

GTS Jeff
06-22-2004, 11:19 AM
dessert house always takes forever, and its not very nice inside so it sucks to sit in there waiting. i dont go to bjs very much cuz whitewashed asians like me get hated on haha. bubblemania is ok. their bbt is decent and their seasoned wings are awesome! i always order some taro drink, so it tastes the same no matter where i go

when u guys come to edmonton for vub, the best place for bbt is called dream tea.

C4S
06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Seem the result is quite even .. 13 vs 10

I like bubble Mania more .. hey ! 15 cents wing ! ha ha .. :rofl:

and their drinks are good, and other food is good too !

Also, I rather go to somewhere indenpendant, then someplace inside a mall. :thumbsup:

C4S
06-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Desert House has my favorite bubble tea in Calgary, but the last time I was there it took 25 min to get it which is absolutly unacceptable. What IS the deal wth service and these places? Must be part of the code or something to not serve white people. hahaha

It took me 45 mins to wait for 4 drinks to take out one nite, and took me 35 mins for another nite on weekend .. so .. I will never go there again on weekend ! :banghead:

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 11:48 AM

Banana Jaks isn't a dirty non-english speaking chinese restaurant. Why would they give good service if cheap people don't tip?

JAYMEZ
06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
I like bubblemania , me and my freinds used to go there all the time and get fast service , Banna Jaks is alright , but I dont like how im treated ... Dessert house has good food , but are fuckin racist there...

That.Guy.S30
06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
I like bubblemania , me and my freinds used to go there all the time and get fast service , Banna Jaks is alright , but I dont like how im treated ... Dessert house has good food , but are fuckin racist there...

i cant see how they can be racist.. haha trust me we get treated all the same at dessert house. its not dependant on our skin color.. ahahahahahah

BebeAphrodite
06-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

i cant see how they can be racist.. haha trust me we get treated all the same at dessert house. its not dependant on our skin color.. ahahahahahah

ha ha ha
i have to agree here
because everyone gets crappy service

kiwi
06-22-2004, 12:12 PM
I like Dessert House, but BJak's has some pretty neat drinks/food =)

SI-vic
06-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Too many kids at BubbleMania
It feels like I'm at a day care or something.

Bjak's is pretty good. I like to go there once in a while.

Desert House is the best, their bbt is untouchable.

rage2
06-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Hm..... maybe its because its their job!!!
If how hard you work is directly related to how much tips you get, then maybe you shouldn't be working at all...
It's definately not related when it comes to chinese ppl! Well some anyways hehe.

I know someone's mom who tipped a waitress $2 on a $148 bill. The waitress asked why so little tip? Was it bad service? The answer was no. She then complained and got the waitress fired :eek:.

hjr
06-22-2004, 02:16 PM
if a person is impressed with the service, then they dont mind leaving a gratitude. I think that there is absolutely ZERO excuse for poor service. ZERO. the problem is that for some reason, people keep frequenting establishments that give poor service. I dont get it. Bad service is the very first thing to keep me away from a place, even before bad food.... ok, well maybe at the same rate as bad food.

But maybe its cause im a cracka???

buh_buh
06-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
a job's performance may be enhanced by incentives...
with little to no incentives and working for minimum wage it's not too difficult to understand their attitudes
You work for a wage, which is what you are paid to do in your job. The tip is not included in your wage, it is a mere bonus (although it is more of a requirement). If you are not happy with getting minimum wage, then get a new job where the funds are guaranteed.

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

a lot of jobs out there are commission based... so using the last sentence people who work for commission shouldn't be working at all
when did I say people who work for commission shouldn't be working at all? I'm just saying how hard you work shouldn't be directly related to how much you make. Your paid to do a job, and that is to give a service to customers. Just because they decide not to tip (which I am against, but people still do it), you shouldn't be not doing what your job description says.

gkAeris
06-22-2004, 02:43 PM
back onto topic

did you all vote?

max_boost
06-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Bubblemania! I like the food and their slush/slurpee drinks:thumbsup:

Banana Jak's is good for 'The Earth'

Dessert House is good for that cappuccino (sp) with pearls

max_boost
06-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's definately not related when it comes to chinese ppl! Well some anyways hehe.

I know someone's mom who tipped a waitress $2 on a $148 bill. The waitress asked why so little tip? Was it bad service? The answer was no. She then complained and got the waitress fired :eek:. That's just gay.......:thumbsdow :rofl:

wildrice
06-22-2004, 03:53 PM
i like
Dessert House or Try Again

NotbadSTi
06-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Bubblemania, I think girls go there are hotter ! :D

finboy
06-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Ben

lol, i had to wait for an hour to get drinks at bubblemania, i'd stop going but i like their wings and choice in car magazines :thumbsup:

sexualbanana
06-22-2004, 06:39 PM
You work for a wage, which is what you are paid to do in your job. The tip is not included in your wage, it is a mere bonus (although it is more of a requirement). If you are not happy with getting minimum wage, then get a new job where the funds are guaranteed.

Had kinda of the same experience when I did some deliveries for Max Boost Food Corp :D.

Got a 40 cent tip. I was a little choked, but you have to think of it this way. Gratuities are just that. They're not required. It may be customary, but by no means is it absolute. So at the end of the day, just be happy you got that extra couple cents and dollars because there are millions of other jobs out there where no one even thinks of tipping.

max_boost
06-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Being in the restaurant industry, I always tip well wherever I go, unless the service was absolutely horrible. Even if it was bad, if the waiter or waitress acknowledged and apologized noting that if it wasn't so hectic, service would be better, I still tip well. Good Karma:D haha

I think I'm evil, I keep in mind who the shitty tippers are and they get less attention. It seems to work because next time around, they tip! haha

And then there are those who NEVER tip, I have quite a few of those too:rofl:

max_boost
06-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Ben, did you go to bubblemania on a busy night? If so, that is almost expected......although inexcusable but that's restaurants for ya. Some night my customers have to wait 2 hours to get a delivery, can't help it! It's just toooooo busy

Sexualbanana: You are the worst delivery driver of Peking Peking Inc. :rofl: You deserve to not get tips, I've seen the way you drive.....$0.40 ain't bad, you haven't lost money on an order yet which has happened to me a couple times:rofl:

sexualbanana
06-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
you haven't lost money on an order yet which has happened to me a couple times:rofl:

I've been shorted before. Not when I was delivering for you though

Redlyne_mr2
06-22-2004, 08:06 PM
I voted bubblemania...its a much better place to go if you're with a large group of people. BJ's is wicked inside but the seating sucks unless you score a spot on the couches. I love the Above SKy drink at BJ's but it's not the same as it used to be since the new owners took over. The bubble tea at bubblemania never changes but it's so so. I do like their wings and their late hours of operation. I dont like the fact that they dont take debit. Best bubble tea place in the city is Deser House or that little place in T&T mall

saiyajin
06-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I voted bubblemania...its a much better place to go if you're with a large group of people. BJ's is wicked inside but the seating sucks unless you score a spot on the couches. I love the Above SKy drink at BJ's but it's not the same as it used to be since the new owners took over. The bubble tea at bubblemania never changes but it's so so. I do like their wings and their late hours of operation. I dont like the fact that they dont take debit. Best bubble tea place in the city is Deser House or that little place in T&T mall

the one in T&T i hope ur talkin about the one by the medicine shop and not by the bowling place :guns: hahah but ya i think TryAgain is pretty good
but between BJ and Bubble i like bubble cuz they got better food but atmosphere wise BJ is better

CRXguy
06-22-2004, 08:12 PM
I remember ppl who don't tip me well! :guns: :rofl:

in*10*se
06-23-2004, 01:23 AM
katie... help me out here

gkAeris = gale?

Weapon_R
06-23-2004, 01:41 AM

In theory, thats true. In reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. A waiters job is physically and mentally demanding. People treat you like crap, you have to rush their food and drinks to the table, and clean it up afterwards. Servers get paid $5.90/hr because employers KNOW that tips are included with the job and bump up the pay to an acceptable wage.

Some establishments require you to pay 1-2% of your tips to the restaurant for cooks/busboys etc. When someone doesn't tip reasonably well (like the $148 discussed above), the server pays out of his/her own pocket - thats why its so shitty. Some people are just plain cheap, and it will reflect on the service they get next time they come to the establishment.

BebeAphrodite
06-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se

gkAeris = gale?

gail
:D

benyl
06-23-2004, 10:49 AM

gkAeris = gale?

gale = strong wind

I can't vote. I have only been to Dessert house and the place in Dragon City Mall (don't know what it is called).

Dessert house has the best pearl... and they put tonnes of fruit in the fresh fruit drinks. :thumbsup:

chukilabs
06-23-2004, 11:07 AM
i vote bubblemania there drinks are amazing and there wings are the best wings I have ever had. BJ's is so expensive but it is still good.

max_boost
06-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

In theory, thats true. In reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. A waiters job is physically and mentally demanding. People treat you like crap, you have to rush their food and drinks to the table, and clean it up afterwards. Servers get paid $5.90/hr because employers KNOW that tips are included with the job and bump up the pay to an acceptable wage.

Some establishments require you to pay 1-2% of your tips to the restaurant for cooks/busboys etc. When someone doesn't tip reasonably well (like the $148 discussed above), the server pays out of his/her own pocket - thats why its so shitty. Some people are just plain cheap, and it will reflect on the service they get next time they come to the establishment. :werd: :werd: :werd:

5.9 R/T
06-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by hjr
if a person is impressed with the service, then they dont mind leaving a gratitude. I think that there is absolutely ZERO excuse for poor service. ZERO.

You really have no clue. Go work in the service industry at a busy restaurant for just one night. We'll see how well you can maintain the service with 8 tables or more because someone called in sick. And I'm not talking a chain restaurant with bussers and hostess's, but a small family place where you serve, host, bus tables, run food, and answer the phone. Good luck!

lam-boy
06-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

You really have no clue. Go work in the service industry at a busy restaurant for just one night. We'll see how well you can maintain the service with 8 tables or more because someone called in sick. And I'm not talking a chain restaurant with bussers and hostess's, but a small family place where you serve, host, bus tables, run food, and answer the phone. Good luck!

:werd: even with bussers and hostess's you will still run into problems.

max_boost
06-23-2004, 03:17 PM

You really have no clue. Go work in the service industry at a busy restaurant for just one night. We'll see how well you can maintain the service with 8 tables or more because someone called in sick. And I'm not talking a chain restaurant with bussers and hostess's, but a small family place where you serve, host, bus tables, run food, and answer the phone. Good luck! Yup!
Poor girl at BP's last night, she must have had 10+tables and she was working alone. I know the feeling!

kiwi
06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by benyl

gale = strong wind

I can't vote. I have only been to Dessert house and the place in Dragon City Mall (don't know what it is called).

Dessert house has the best pearl... and they put tonnes of fruit in the fresh fruit drinks. :thumbsup:

That's what I love about Dessert house too!!! They use real fruit! I hate it when some places use powder... :thumbsdow

buh_buh
06-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Some establishments require you to pay 1-2% of your tips to the restaurant for cooks/busboys etc. When someone doesn't tip reasonably well (like the $148 discussed above), the server pays out of his/her own pocket - thats why its so shitty. Some people are just plain cheap, and it will reflect on the service they get next time they come to the establishment. yes, and like I previously said, although the tip is expected, sometimes it is not guaranteed in the wage. Just because you expect it, doesn't mean everyone else is going to (like in Rage's example). Like I said before if you are that concerned with not raking in enough tips, then you should get a job where the funds are guaranteed. If you are getting screwed that often, your restaraunt should implement some sort of mandatory gratuity. In many countries such as Hong Kong or Japan (I'm sure there are many more) that is the norm.

benyl
06-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Tipping is BS. It is only the norm in North America... and the virus is starting to spread around the world.

I have travelled all across Europe and it isn't expect anywhere. You tip for service that is over and above what is expected. When I was in Australia, it wasn't expected either.

I still tip, but only cause I don't want the waiter/waitress to spit in my food the next time I go to the same place!:rofl: :rofl:

5.9 R/T
06-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Tipping is BS. It is only the norm in North America... and the virus is starting to spread around the world.

I have travelled all across Europe and it isn't expect anywhere. You tip for service that is over and above what is expected. When I was in Australia, it wasn't expected either.

I still tip, but only cause I don't want the waiter/waitress to spit in my food the next time I go to the same place!:rofl: :rofl:

Well thats fine too, we can get rid of tipping. But you can expect A) higher food costs to cover the wage losses (keep in mind that I was making between 25-50 an hour including the normal wage, waitresses at bars/clubs can make close to 100) or B) have some snot nosed 14 year old serve you because no one else will work for peanuts. Your choice.

And I've never seen a server taint a customers food because they are notorious for lousy tips. Usually they just get poor service and the server will concentrate on the tables that tip (appreciate) their work.

You'd have to pay me at least 15 an hour to put up with all the fucktards that eat out, otherwise its just not worth it.

Weapon_R
06-23-2004, 10:41 PM

Tipping in Europe is automatically placed on the bill. I've travelled to Italy, the middle east, and the UK, and in many places, I don't have a choice in the gratuity.

As for server's tainting peoples food, for as long as I worked in the service industry, i've never seen it happen once. A server will recognize cheap tippers, and visit their table once or twice during the entire meal. People who are good tippers will receive top notch service and better meals (servers play a role in how quickly and how well prepared a meal is). A server cannot survive without tips, which is why they've become the norm in many places.

CKY
06-24-2004, 05:24 PM
to be honest, and kind of off topic, the best place for consistent BBT is try again, though theres no place to sit or w/e, their bubbles are always soft and NEVER hard on the insides. bubblemania is more of a weed dealing wannabe gangster high school kids joint to me, and BJs is brutal when people smoke.

and as of that tipping issue, i once went out for supper with a bunch of friends, and one of them wasn't from our "usual" group (asian, ib geek that wears khakis and polos everyday, you get the picture??) so we ate, so the guy and a few others wanted a pizza so they ordered one and shared it. when it was time to pay that guy calculated how much 3 slices cost (because thats all he ate) and did not even tip one single cent, and he laughed after that saying: "why should i tip? you guys tip when you eat out?!?!?"

my tipping depends on the services and the quality of the food, but i do tend to pay less when eating at a chinese restaurent (even though i'm 100% chinese)

max_boost
06-24-2004, 05:40 PM

I still tip, but only cause I don't want the waiter/waitress to spit in my food the next time I go to the same place!:rofl: :rofl: You cheap ass:rofl:

spyguy
06-24-2004, 06:25 PM
ok guys back on topic..if you guys wanna debate about the whole tipping process lets open up a new thread and do it there...otherwise back to the BBT talk :)

autumnrain
06-25-2004, 12:35 AM
bubblemania has good drinks????? well if you enjoy slighty FLAVORED WATER!! wtf... went to bubble today.. my drink was too sweet and my friend's hot taro was like hot water! I haven't been to bubble for awhile.. at least that one girl can kinda understand english now.. u dont have to pick up the menu and point at the item you want! but its soo true service there really sucks! I admit, one year ago when they first took over bjaks the drinks weren't quite status quo.. but now it's so much better.. i like desert house fresh fruits..

tillabongster
06-25-2004, 01:17 AM
I went to bubblemania quite a while ago...i believe it was around christmas time.

the service was pretty bad we sat down it took 10 minutes for the server to give us menus (and it wasn't even busy!) They gave us menus then we were ready to order, (just wings) and it took the girl another 10 minutes to take our order (still not busy at the time) and it took like 10 minutes to give us drinks (watered down) then another 20 minutes to give us 20 wings.

I always heard their wings were good but they're just average, and i orderd an Iced tea, frick it was bad...how can you make ice tea gross?? um.. by having a full cup of ice and half a can if nestea iced tea...and no refills! which costs like $3.00??

I can understand if the place is busy the service is going to be a little bad....

thats the same at Bjaks if its busy ...its busy you can expect service to be a little slow....that's like everywhere though you gotta be a little understanding and patience!

Fuji
06-28-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Ben

I agree. Bubblemania is trash, they have beat wings and they take FOREVER to bring your drink.

Banana Jaks is a nicer establishment, however still mediocre food/drinks. Leaves a lot to be desired (never been there when gkaeris is working tho :( )

Its cuz you are white:rofl:

Conversely it is the same for asians going into predominately caucasian places.

j/j

GQBalla
06-30-2004, 01:20 AM
ahah i never been to bubble mania but i usually go to b jaks for bbt because it has such a chillin atmosphere and you can go sit down play cards, juss chill and have a smoke Bjaks has some pretty good bbt and everytime i go there is later at night so the service is good and i always tip because i get tipped out at work too and its good because its a bonus@!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gkAeris
07-06-2004, 09:03 PM
up up

samo147
07-15-2004, 07:32 PM
yeah i like bubblemania cause they got pretty cheap wings...
i guess the wings arent the best but their still good

bananna jacks wings are expensive and not that good

yeah i do admit that dessert house has good bubble tea but the service sucks ass there...
took me 40 minutes the last time i went to get a strawberry bubble tea...

The owner of dessert house looks like a prick...
i guess if people are still willing to but stuff there it doesnt matter what you do...

dam_guy
07-15-2004, 08:54 PM
i choose b-jaks
sure service is not always fast and price is a little high, but they are at least nice to you and can speak english haha
but they need more magazines like bubble.
oh, and having a debit machine is a plus :thumbsup:

as for bubble, i do like their wings, but i hate the service and don't like the drinks to much.

both places have their hardcores and wanna-be's, but bubble just seems to be a fob hangout where you have ppl screaming chinese to each other. b-jaks has quiet to loud repetitive music.
all in all, i prefer the music over the the screaming asians.

i think try again has the best bbt, its just too bad that they're only a take out.

l/l/rX
07-24-2004, 04:47 PM
i only like bjaks to just to go and hang out, atmosphere there is pretty tight. i dont like their bbt very much. their deep fried ice cream though on the other hand :thumbsup: aha soo good!

if im not going to hang out and sit down then try again is where its at! their bbt is the BEST!

edit: wow pretty close 37-38

Redlyne_mr2
07-25-2004, 12:15 AM
What an even race, lets put desert house up there and see what happens? I went to Bjacks the other day, man, I forgot how slow their service was. I had takeout so I was in a bit of a rush but the wait just went on forever and ever. The guy also forgot to give me bubbles:dunno: :rofl: unfortunately i was in too much of a rush and didnt say anything. One thing that I like about bjacks though is that they take debit. Bubblemania is cash only, you know that that money is going straight into the old pockets of the owner tax free:rofl:

GTS Jeff
07-26-2004, 08:44 PM

You really have no clue. Go work in the service industry at a busy restaurant for just one night. We'll see how well you can maintain the service with 8 tables or more because someone called in sick. And I'm not talking a chain restaurant with bussers and hostess's, but a small family place where you serve, host, bus tables, run food, and answer the phone. Good luck! i cant agree with that. the manager must be pretty shitty if hes got servers working 8 tables. if the server chooses to work in those conditions, then the server chooses to receive shitty tip. and family run or not, a restaurant still has to make the customers happy to stay in business.

its called the food SERVICE industry. and dont tell me i have no clue either. my family is all over the food service industry.

Skyline_Addict
07-26-2004, 08:53 PM
hehehe
werd, bjaks.

5.9 R/T
07-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i cant agree with that. the manager must be pretty shitty if hes got servers working 8 tables. if the server chooses to work in those conditions, then the server chooses to receive shitty tip. and family run or not, a restaurant still has to make the customers happy to stay in business.

its called the food SERVICE industry. and dont tell me i have no clue either. my family is all over the food service industry.

Your family is all over the food service industry and they've never been understaffed ever because of unforseen circumstances? Really... I find that VERY hard to believe. The only way I can see you NEVER being understaffed is if you're greatly overstaffed, and if your family is all over the food service industry you would know that the margins are not good enough to support running such an operation, not to mention its just bad business, and unless you pay very generous wages to the employees they won't work there because they're not making enough money because they don't have enough tables.

max_boost
07-26-2004, 09:49 PM

Your family is all over the food service industry and they've never been understaffed ever because of unforseen circumstances? Really... I find that VERY hard to believe. The only way I can see you NEVER being understaffed is if you're greatly overstaffed, and if your family is all over the food service industry you would know that the margins are not good enough to support running such an operation, not to mention its just bad business, and unless you pay very generous wages to the employees they won't work there because they're not making enough money because they don't have enough tables. :werd: :werd: :werd: Dude, you tell it like how it is......

I served 25 tables tonight, that's right, 25!! Even though it's buffet style, I still had to clear tables, serve drinks etc. Not to mention answering the phones and running in and out of the kitchen.

The easiest excuse for people to point out is, why not hire someone? LOL This was the busiest Monday I've had in a long time. If I knew, I would have called backup. They are usually reserved for the weekend.

GTS Jeff
07-26-2004, 11:34 PM

Your family is all over the food service industry and they've never been understaffed ever because of unforseen circumstances? Really... I find that VERY hard to believe. The only way I can see you NEVER being understaffed is if you're greatly overstaffed, and if your family is all over the food service industry you would know that the margins are not good enough to support running such an operation, not to mention its just bad business, and unless you pay very generous wages to the employees they won't work there because they're not making enough money because they don't have enough tables.

of course unforeseen circumstances occur, but u dont really expect great tip during said circumstances, do u? also if u are serving more tables, even if your tip per table goes down, u are compensating with more tables. its possible to properly staffed most of the time; this is one of the managers responsibilities. if u get a huge rush, call ppl in! having enough ppl on hand to at the right times is important and it can be done without driving up labor costs. as i said in the first place, this is the managers job.

5.9 R/T
07-27-2004, 01:24 AM
:werd: :werd: :werd: Dude, you tell it like how it is......

I served 25 tables tonight, that's right, 25!! Even though it's buffet style, I still had to clear tables, serve drinks etc. Not to mention answering the phones and running in and out of the kitchen.

The easiest excuse for people to point out is, why not hire someone? LOL This was the busiest Monday I've had in a long time. If I knew, I would have called backup. They are usually reserved for the weekend.

Maybe you should hire on Jeff for nights like that, sounds like he's got everything covered.

of course unforeseen circumstances occur, but u dont really expect great tip during said circumstances, do u? also if u are serving more tables, even if your tip per table goes down, u are compensating with more tables. its possible to properly staffed most of the time; this is one of the managers responsibilities. if u get a huge rush, call ppl in! having enough ppl on hand to at the right times is important and it can be done without driving up labor costs. as i said in the first place, this is the managers job.

You can still be recieve good service at those times, just everything will be slightly slower. I've always made an effort to communicate to my tables if the service is suffering because of volume and honestly my tips very rarely suffer, but you can't please everyone all the time. If you want exceptional service all the time then don't go to busy places.

max_boost
07-27-2004, 11:22 AM

Have you managed a restaurant? You think you can call people and they just show up when they aren't schedule to? Yes it is the managers responsibility to ensure everything is running properly but you make it sound like it's a breeze:rofl: You can only do so much planning. Restaurants have the highest turnover rates.

On a smaller scale family restaurants where employees are fewer than 8-9 on most nights, if one person calls in sick, really fcuks shit up I tell you.

GTS Jeff
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM

Have you managed a restaurant? You think you can call people and they just show up when they aren't schedule to? Yes it is the managers responsibility to ensure everything is running properly but you make it sound like it's a breeze:rofl: You can only do so much planning. Restaurants have the highest turnover rates.

On a smaller scale family restaurants where employees are fewer than 8-9 on most nights, if one person calls in sick, really fcuks shit up I tell you. man what are u even arguing about? i never said it was a breeze to be manager. but then again, managers are paid more than everyone else because they have a tougher job. ive never managed, but i have worked enough to see the manager call in extra staff when needed.

anyway, i do see how things would be different in a really small restaurant.

aZnBlooD
07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
wow...look at the nice stray from the original topic...

personally, i prefer bjaks more. dessert house is WAY too slow. had to wait for than 30mins for TAKE OUT the last time i went.

ApexDrift
07-27-2004, 03:41 PM
bubblemainia the food is ok, nothing extreamlly great, the drinks are ok... depending on who is making the drinks, service blows, last time i went it took 45 min to make my drink by then i had to leave, i asked to put it in a take out cup they took my drink away, didnt see it for 5 min then i just paid and left, didnt even touch the drink... and girl racer is right you come out smelling like grease... its a wangster hang out too, with useless fobs in the back ground as filler...only thing thats good is the wings and its not all that great~!

Banana jak's service is better, the setting is a lot more relaxing, drinks are good, food is ok not that much better, i rather smell like smoke then grease, the grease smell just spreads and sticks to everything, musics not that loud, if its loud then just tell them to turn it down. and the owners are my friends gotta help out a buddy you know!....

dont get me wrong i know the owner of bbmainia too, so im not biased... its just that his place isnt my cup of tea~!:rofl:

RSeXy
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Sam and I like Bubblemania, since we are there...ummm...A LOT. :rofl: :nut:

The service there has improved drastically. I like Bubblemania b/c the melon milktea is better and they have more space for larger crowds.

k_dawg
07-28-2004, 05:35 PM
I like bubblemaina more than banana jaks cause I can't stand smoke it makes me feel sick and the serivce is alot better now.

little_wan
07-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Banana Jaks has a new menu now, and hotties...and Dj's sometimes

nmack
07-29-2004, 09:38 AM
fobs... i tell you... :dunno: :rolleyes:

haha dunno if it just me but i notice most ppl who goto B Jak or bubblemania... tend to be "wannabe FOBs" ... dunno how to describe it without pissing ppl off tho haha..

basically hardcore CBC but speaking chinese with a big accent trying to be honger.

i like bubblemania of the 2 places...
BJ was good when it first opened.

HoisinSauce
07-29-2004, 05:43 PM
whoa, i just evened it at 45 a piece. nice.

i picked banana jaks cuz if i don't, gail and michelle would beat my arse and start calling me a trader. haha.

but all in all, bubblemania is nothing but a fob hangout, cheap wings, cheap tastless bubble tea. c'mon, asians here. chilling for more than 2 hours shouldn't cost more than 5 dollars. :D

banana jaks is more of a fine dining bubble tea place. prices are a bit higher, service is way better, and the atmosphere is all around more high class.

comparing the 2 places is like comparing pebble street and forbidden city. why bother?

oh yeah, and the main reason why bjaks is better, Alice.
hands down.

ApexDrift
07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by HoisinSauce
oh yeah, and the main reason why bjaks is better, Alice.
hands down.

:werd: Alice's service at BJ's is better then all the waitress's at BBmainia put together...

l/l/rX
08-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by little_wan
Banana Jaks has a new menu now, and hotties...and Dj's sometimes

ooo you going to show up at bjaks and spin more often? it would be pretty good buisness for bjaks too. id diffenitly be there, it would make the atmosphere there soo much better. trance and bubble tea. perfect.:thumbsup:

d-UNiT
09-04-2004, 08:58 PM
bubblemania.. is good food.. but.. i think the service is horrible.. and so is the arrangements.. like people wait in front of the door and crowd it up.. it doesnt take debit.. the msuic is horrible.. and i got weird looks cuz im white..

NiteRider
09-05-2004, 03:06 AM
i was at banana jaks tonite, and i really enjoyed it

3mPi
09-30-2004, 02:09 AM
well, ive never been to bjacks, bubblemania's ok...but its all about silverq and tea shop 168 aka peerless pearl tea shop