PDA

View Full Version : Where to test top speed?

403Gemini
06-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Is there a place legally i can test the top speed of my car? Cause i always wondered what my car will top out at before the govenor kicks in. My buddy got his bmw up to 242 i think before his kicked in, im betting... ooh... 170 for my car :D

(i asked my buddy where he tested his and he said outside of calgary, but im parinoid shitless of a cop catchin me goin 170 on a 100 road lol)

C4S
06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
I heard there is a highway on montana, with no limited ?
I only know some highway in Germany offer no speed limited ..

I want to know that too.. :D

1badPT
06-22-2004, 01:02 PM
I've been up to 180 on the way back home from Banff ;) I was following an M3 - i didn't want to go any faster because I was on my winter tires still, but now that I have my summer combo on, might be worth another try :D

PS - outside the city you would be dealing with the RCMP, and there aren't nearly as many of them as the CPD and they really aren't interested in writing traffic tickets unless you are really making an ass of yourself. I was on my way up to Wainright a while back doing about 160 on a flat stretch of road, saw a car in the distance, slowed to about 120 (the limit was under 100), it was an RCMP officer and he just waived as he went by.

Be careful though because if your tires can't handle it, it would be a very ugly accident, and high speeds on tires that aren't rated for it could cause a blowout.

Gonthro
06-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by C4S

there is no speed limit but if you are going stupid fast they will still charge you with dangerous driving.

///M3
06-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by C4S

I went 220 on the Autobahn in germany in an Opel, theres no speed limit of course.

403Gemini
06-22-2004, 01:15 PM
lol okay guys ill just drive to germany :thumbsup:

yea i guess before i go any higher than 150 (thats what ive done for top speed so far, chickend out cause i was scared there were cops ahead lol) i should get new tires... but i think when i do that im looking to get rims too.

so wheres a good place to look at 17"s with rubber? (lookin for pretty good deal, simple rims too around 1000-1500ish)

rage2
06-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Sorry to burst the bubble, but Montana has a limit. They didn't at one point, but too much abuse. It's at 75mph. There are tons of signs at the border... "The sky's not the limit".

I do test in Montana though. Lots of straight road where you can see 5 miles down the road, make sure there's nobody around. Tires are very important, and obviously your car should be mechanically sound ;).

Too bad race city doesn't have a long enough straight to do top speed testing legally hehe.

Edit - quick search showed the sign i'm talking about.

http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/speed_limit/

1badPT
06-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
so wheres a good place to look at 17"s with rubber? (lookin for pretty good deal, simple rims too around 1000-1500ish)

Check the marketplace here, and the sponsors of course. If that doesn't turn up a set that you like, there are two major wheel/tires sites in Canada that I can give you the addresses for.

Are you going to the meet tomorrow? I might show up and show off my new wheels :D

RickDaTuner
06-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Sorry to burst the bubble, but Montana has a limit. They didn't at one point, but too much abuse. It's at 75mph. There are tons of signs at the border... "The sky's not the limit".

I do test in Montana though. Lots of straight road where you can see 5 miles down the road, make sure there's nobody around. Tires are very important, and obviously your car should be mechanically sound ;).

Too bad race city doesn't have a long enough straight to do top speed testing legally hehe.

well back in the day when the Supposed No limit was arround i drove through montana in a MKIII Supra, low and behold i get slpped in the face with a $180 ticket, I asked th police woman about the no speed limit thing and her reply was that there has always been a speed limit they just didnt have any posted signs...

Ben
06-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Lots of nice stretches in AB, just go with a buddy and send him ahead of you with a radio. Otherwise There is a private road I found used only by Burnco, no traffic on weekends, made with reinforced asphault due to heavy trucks. Topped out on that many times after adding a mod.
Course I wont tell you where that is cause then we'll have every asshole in calgary showing up. *Honk Honk*

BigMass
06-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2

There maybe a posted speed limit but there sure as hell no one around to enforce it. I was doing min 200km/h non stop through Montana a couple years ago and i didnt run into a car let alone a cop.

benyl
06-22-2004, 01:46 PM
When there was no posted limit, it was enforced as "Reasonable and Prudent."

It was therefore a subjective call by the Montana Highway Patrol. However, it was almost a sure thing that you would be pulled over for anything over 80 mph... and thrown in jail for triple digits.

The radio idea is probably the best. High speed runs are kinda stupid... an animal can jump out at anytime and cause havoc...

1badPT
06-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Course I wont tell you where that is cause then we'll have every asshole in calgary showing up. *Honk Honk*

Well this asshole is curious... care to PM it to me? :D

403Gemini
06-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

Check the marketplace here, and the sponsors of course. If that doesn't turn up a set that you like, there are two major wheel/tires sites in Canada that I can give you the addresses for.

Are you going to the meet tomorrow? I might show up and show off my new wheels :D

yea bro ill be there :D it'll be finally nice to meet you after all the help and websites you've given me in pm's!

Gonthro
06-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Lots of nice stretches in AB, just go with a buddy and send him ahead of you with a radio. Otherwise There is a private road I found used only by Burnco, no traffic on weekends, made with reinforced asphault due to heavy trucks. Topped out on that many times after adding a mod.

i think i know the road you're talking baout, and if it is the same one, that has been opened so it is no longer a dead end so there will probably be more traffic on (or near) it now.

sputnik
06-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Just so you can properly assess the risks of doing this on the highway...

Getting caught going 50+ over the speed limit means you could get your licence taken away for 24 hrs and your car towed along with a HEFTY ($500+) fine. A court appearance to get your license back may be required as well. I will not even bother with what would happen if you hit someone or something.

IMO there is really no reason why anyone would NEED to know their cars top speed other than to win some futile bet. Not to mention that most tires arent rated for the top speeds of most cars. So hit a bit of a bump and you might be in some serious trouble.

WGR4Pussies
06-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Getting caught going 50+ over the speed limit means you could get your licence taken away for 24 hrs and your car towed along with a HEFTY ($500+) fine. A court appearance to get your license back may be required as well. I will not even bother with what would happen if you hit someone or something.

IMO there is really no reason why anyone would NEED to know their cars top speed other than to win some futile bet. Not to mention that most tires arent rated for the top speeds of most cars. So hit a bit of a bump and you might be in some serious trouble.

sorry man, some i know got caught going 180 down deerfoot, just the other day, hes only 16 too, anyway, he got a ticket a court apearence date, and they didn't tow his car, didn't take away his liscence, just a court pink ticket.

you drive a saturn dude, plasitc panels will probly fly off before you even get to 170, and I bet its governed there too.

sputnik
06-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies

sorry man, some i know got caught going 180 down deerfoot, just the other day, hes only 16 too, anyway, he got a ticket a court apearence date, and they didn't tow his car, didn't take away his liscence, just a court pink ticket.

you drive a saturn dude, plasitc panels will probly fly off before you even get to 170, and I bet its governed there too.

It is at the cops' discretion.

hjr
06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
ok, here is a little secrete, the best place is on hiway2 north to edmonton. But only around the ponoka area, total ownage.

Skylinelover
06-22-2004, 03:47 PM

Umm saturn well 2001 has no govener in it I did 185 on the way to regina.

403Gemini
06-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

very true, i was mainly just curious :)

Originally posted by WGR4Pussies

*snip*

yea your right :rolleyes: the saturn ion redline only set the 342 km/h landspeed record

but your right, the plastic will fall off

(for those that dont believe me: http://www.saturncanada.com and click on "experience it now" arrow in the middle)

benyl
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
haha, but you don't have a redline ion... hehe.. just buggin'

Ben
06-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Meh, I like to know my car's top speed, especially with a motor swap, one of those man things I guess, satisfaction in the performance of ones own vehicle.

///M3
06-22-2004, 04:46 PM

the saturn ion redline only set the 342 km/h landspeed record

(for those that dont believe me: http://www.saturncanada.com and click on "experience it now" arrow in the middle)

What land speed record? was it stock? There are many other cars that can go faster.

1badPT
06-22-2004, 04:52 PM
This will answer any questions about that record setting run:
http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Motorsports/recordsettingion.shtml

Skylinelover
06-22-2004, 04:57 PM
^^ That is crazy for that kind of car.

freakin
06-22-2004, 06:56 PM
lol okay guys ill just drive to germany :thumbsup:

You'll have to wait until the winter....

core_upt
06-22-2004, 11:25 PM
My buddy had a 1997 Saturn SL1. The engine shut down at right around 172-5 KM/H. We tested it driving to Bragg Creek when we were dumb teenagers.

Maybe this will curb your curiousity. Probably not though.

I hit 200KM/H in my CRX in BC - not too smart if I was to be caught, but it seemed good at the time! I was also trying to keep up wth a brand new SVT Cobra at time!

403Gemini
06-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
My buddy had a 1997 Saturn SL1. The engine shut down at right around 172-5 KM/H. We tested it driving to Bragg Creek when we were dumb teenagers.

Maybe this will curb your curiousity. Probably not though.

I hit 200KM/H in my CRX in BC - not too smart if I was to be caught, but it seemed good at the time! I was also trying to keep up wth a brand new SVT Cobra at time!

hmm the sl1 i believe has the SOHC so with my DOHC im guessing i could do 175-180ish... perhaps lol... meh like posted by other members, dont think ill try cause i dont wanna risk it. guess i just wanted a idea hah

ZorroAMG
06-23-2004, 10:25 AM
All GM vehicles in your performance range like pontiac sunfire, grand am, Chevrolet cavalier, malibu, Saturn are governed to 175, MAYBE 180....I know this because I had some idiot friends with all those cars trying to go as fast as they could....

QuasarCav
06-23-2004, 10:38 AM
A newer cavalier/sunfire will shut off at 160km/hour.

An older one will do 200km before it is governed.

I think you saturn would be good for 175-180 but that is about all your tires are good for.

Find a pregnant lady and put her in your car, do your top speed test and if you get pulled over then tell the officer you had to take your pregnant wife to the hospital!

dkny_stylez
06-23-2004, 11:38 AM
I was trying to test my car's top speed, then i got caught by laser radar going 133 in a 70 zone around 1am, car was impounded, had to cab home. A court appearance was required. Final was $295 ticket for speeding, and 2 demerits off. All and all it all depends on the cop, if you get one that's having a bad day, your pretty much screwed. But sometimes you get off only with a warning...It's all based on luck!

ZorroAMG
06-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

An older one will do 200km before it is governed.

What year? No cav/sunfire 95 or newer will do 200.

hatetank
06-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Last time I drove to BC I tested out the WRX's speed going through McBride - miles desolate, flat, straight road at 6am.

colinderksen
06-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Just go on Highway#2 South of The city. There are never cops on it till at least Okotoks. I cruise at 140 on that road comming into the city. I got going about 245 in my car one time inbetween High River and Vulcan. Fun!
Can't you do top speed runs on a dyno?

cobber112879
06-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I used to have a 98 SC2. It would do 180km/h. I also got caught once speeding by more than 50 kms. I got a reckless driving charge, a large fine, lots of demerit points, and a nice insurance increase. That was six years ago. Needless to say I learned my lesson without hurting myself or more importantly, hurting someone else. No more speeding like that for me. Anyways, 180 is what your car will do and please drive safe.:thumbsup:

403Gemini
06-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by cobber112879
I used to have a 98 SC2. It would do 180km/h. I also got caught once speeding by more than 50 kms. I got a reckless driving charge, a large fine, lots of demerit points, and a nice insurance increase. That was six years ago. Needless to say I learned my lesson without hurting myself or more importantly, hurting someone else. No more speeding like that for me. Anyways, 180 is what your car will do and please drive safe.:thumbsup:

perfect thx bro :)

sillyd
06-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Last summer on the way to black diamond (late for a job) i got caught doing 73 over. He wrote the ticket for 50+, and i'm going to court in july to fight it. Don't drive fast around small towns!

There are a few roads around where you can drive fast. Not on the main highways, and not around other cars.
I regularly take my teg over 2. Yes i am a horrible person.

Mckenzie
06-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Test driving Top Speeds is so dangerous in the city with traffic.

On the weekend (Saturday), a friend took me for a ride in his blown 5.0L Cobra and we hit over 200 in no time still pulling.
I thought I was going to fuckin die because there was traffic everywhere and my buddy was not slowing down. I nearly shit myself.... :dunno:

Please be careful and take it to a road where there is no slow moving traffic. I would say Highway #2 North between Calgary and Airdrie or The trans canada out to Banff just past the Petro Station would be alright places. I know they have been paving quite a few sections on Highway #2 so that would be a safe road to drive fast on.

403Gemini
06-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Test driving Top Speeds is so dangerous in the city with traffic.

On the weekend (Saturday), a friend took me for a ride in his blown 5.0L Cobra and we hit over 200 in no time still pulling.
I thought I was going to fuckin die because there was traffic everywhere and my buddy was not slowing down. I nearly shit myself.... :dunno:

Please be careful and take it to a road where there is no slow moving traffic. I would say Highway #2 North between Calgary and Airdrie or The trans canada out to Banff just past the Petro Station would be alright places. I know they have been paving quite a few sections on Highway #2 so that would be a safe road to drive fast on.

i would never test it around other drivers. if i saw lights up the road id make sure id slow down and resume normal speed once i got close to him.

its not worth it, if i hit a bump and spun out id rather just my car get totalled then some poor guy drivin home or something. who knows they could have a kid or baby in the car too and id feel like complete shit.

i RARELY ever speed in traffic, and when i do its usually like 10+ over the speed limit

lutz
06-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Do you have any racetrek in the near? Before you're going to carry your car to germany (vessel)...
Maybe it's cheaper to pay a fee for some hours on any official race trek.

Best time for Autobahn is sunday early morning. (4.00 AM, no traffic, you're alone)

Sure, on any race trek you could have some bad luck, if at the same time the Yugo Club is testing their Yugo's :(
(note: a crowded race trek with Yugo traffic, ... you never know in which direction they're driving that time you're there...;) )

I had some bad experiences like that :eek:

bart
06-25-2004, 07:57 AM
deerfoot extension south works just fine! well any road, the one going to bragg creek is good too, you can see forever. just avoid hilly roads and you will be fine if you are paying attention.

but the best roads are those side roads on highways, where its like 2 way traffic, rare to see cars on those roads, and as an added bonus they give you a greater sense of speed, european style yo!

QuasarCav
06-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

What year? No cav/sunfire 95 or newer will do 200.

Nope not 95 or newer, mines a 94.

We have all tried it so dont hit up the take it to the track. My GPS said 206km/hr. my speedo craps out at 180.

How accurate are GPS's for high speed? It's a pretty new one with WAS and it's good for about 3-5ft.

HillBilly
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Nope not 95 or newer, mines a 94.

We have all tried it so dont hit up the take it to the track. My GPS said 206km/hr. my speedo craps out at 180.

How accurate are GPS's for high speed? It's a pretty new one with WAS and it's good for about 3-5ft.

handheld GPS is very accurate at high speeds. Way more dependable than a cars speedo.