PDA

View Full Version : WTF!!!! no serial port dammit.....what to do

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2002, 12:10 PM
I have a brand new dell laptop , it has a bunch of ports at the back but they're all female and my cable for my digital camera is female so I cant hook it up to my computer, can I buy a male serial port, how much are they...If this doesnt work out I have a cheap digital camera for sale, used for 1 minute..dammit

van
10-25-2002, 12:17 PM
Yeah you can buy a male to female cable for cheap. I'm guessing I actually can't tell you.

Head down to Computer Surplus either on Crowchild across from MacMahon stadium or the one on 32and ave and barlow.. they have cheap stuff there..

rage2
10-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Actually, most of the new laptops don't have serial ports no more. USB only. Someone had that problem on trackday, couldn't hook up a new laptop to AEM!

DSM Power
10-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Strange, I would've thought that most digicams would be USB or Firewire...? :confused:

Fluidic
10-25-2002, 12:45 PM
The older digital Nikons came with serial port connections to upload pictures.

Slow and Slow... that's about it! LOL

Peter

boi-alien
10-25-2002, 12:52 PM
i think they might make a USB to serial adapter, but i'm not sure, like defetk1 said go down to computer surplus and see

Davan
10-25-2002, 01:27 PM
It sounds to me like this is what you need:

http://www.teamimpulse.ca/posts/genderchange.jpg

It's male on both ends.

I've got a half million of these things here in my office at Mount Royal. If you live in the area, drop by, I'll give you one.

Or I'll be meeting up with some friends at Chinook Mall tomorrow afternoon, PM me and I'll give you a time and location where I'll be.

rage2
10-25-2002, 01:35 PM
I think he's mistaken his SVGA port for a female serial port. There's no reason why the incorrect gender serial port would be on the back of a laptop :D.

Ferio_vti
10-25-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by crxboi
i think they might make a USB to serial adapter, but i'm not sure, like defetk1 said go down to computer surplus and see

Doesn't exist. USB and serial have totally different protocols.

Davan
10-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Not quite...

http://www.cablesbyacc.com/catalog3lvl.cfm?product=MT609-2&category=Serial

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 03:16 PM

WRONG...
They do make a USB to serial converter (USB to RS-232) however they are only about a 25% chance of working. These bad boys run about $80-$120. Commonly used to run a serial modem using an RS-232 port to a USB port.

The gender bender that Davan is showing WOULD work to a high degree of certainty..... HOWEVER, if your notebook is newer chances are it DOESNT have a serial port (especially not a female serial port. Count how many holes for pins are in this slot that you think is serial.

PM me with this info and what model laptop and make laptop you have and I will find a solution for you.

PS, most digital cameras circa 2 years ago and older all pretty much came with an RS-232 port and USB port.

David

Stratus_Power
10-25-2002, 03:19 PM
those USB to serial converter are super pricy :thumbsdow my USB port hasnt been working since Day 1 i got the comp 2 years ago!! too lazy to get it fix... now its getting to be a pain in the butt.....

Davan
10-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM

HOWEVER, if your notebook is newer chances are it DOESNT have a serial port (especially not a female serial port.

ALL the new dell and ibm laptops that we are recieving at the college have one male serial port.

Ferio_vti
10-25-2002, 03:25 PM
My bad.
Yes, they do exist, but the likelihood of them workning is low, like TurboDSM said, 25%. You might as well try and make your own, if you know something about electronics. On the otherhand, can you get a USB for the cam?

Reminds me of my bro looking for a PS2 controller to Gamecube adapter. Sure it plugs in, but chances of getting things to happen are slim.

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Davan

ALL the new dell and ibm laptops that we are recieving at the college have one male serial port.
I havent worked on a newer Dell only older ones. Thats why I asked for the model number.

:poosie:

Davan
10-25-2002, 03:30 PM

Yes, they do exist, but the likelihood of them workning is low, like TurboDSM said, 25%.

I'm shooting 100 percent so far... (3 for 3). 1 digital camera, 1 mouse, and a card scanner.

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 03:32 PM

I'm shooting 100 percent so far... (3 for 3). 1 digital camera, 1 mouse, and a card scanner.
Is that with the gender bender or with the RS-232 to USB?
Maybe you have the good converter not like the ones I had to sell at a certain place which sold some sucky stuff.... ;)

Davan
10-25-2002, 03:37 PM

Is that with the gender bender or with the RS-232 to USB?
Maybe you have the good converter not like the ones I had to sell at a certain place which sold some sucky stuff.... ;)

That's with the very one I posted. I have an account with Alberta Cable Company. They hook me up wit da sheeeeit yo! :D

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2002, 04:06 PM
thanks for all your input guys, the port on the back of my computer (dell Inspiron 2650) has 15 female holes, and my camera cable has 9 female holes so I think im screwed..dammit, I shoudl be more careful about this shit when i buy it, i have a cannon camera I left back home and it uses a card to upload the pictures, i assumed this one was the same

Davan
10-25-2002, 04:10 PM
15 female... that sounds like printer port. There is seriously no 9 pin male on the back of the laptop? If not, sounds like you need a serial->usb

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2002, 04:15 PM
15 female... that sounds like printer port. There is seriously no 9 pin male on the back of the laptop? If not, sounds like you need a serial->usb
dammit ya I bet it is a printer port..why the hell do they not include serial ports anymore, that means i cant even hook my cell phone up to this computer either..son of a..shit I guess ill be selling this camera

Davan
10-25-2002, 04:19 PM
Yep. Right from Dell support:

Parallel ports 1
Serial ports 0
Infrared ports 0
PS/2 ports 1
VGA port 1
USB ports 2
IEEE 1394 ports 0
Video-out port 0
Docking station/port replicator port 0

You've got no serial port! That's just plain dumb.

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 04:22 PM
ACC makes good custom stuff too. I have a reseller acct with them. Often need a connection cable or something that I cant find anywhere else and they always seem to make the right thing!

Check Ebay for a converter if you have a credit card. You might be able to find one for cheap on there...
Actually I am without anything to do while this restore completes so I will look for you.

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Yep. Right from Dell support:

You've got no serial port! That's just plain dumb.
or as my avatar name reads...just plain gay!!!!!

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2002, 04:23 PM
ACC makes good custom stuff too. I have a reseller acct with them. Often need a connection cable or something that I cant find anywhere else and they always seem to make the right thing!

Check Ebay for a converter if you have a credit card. You might be able to find one for cheap on there...
Actually I am without anything to do while this restore completes so I will look for you.
thanks man, i appreciate it:thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
10-25-2002, 04:26 PM
15 pin female, same size as serial, that for video isn't it??

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 04:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1773243462
That one is for a DB9 connector for serial... I am assuming you need a 9 pin serial converter.....
This should do the job for ya...

Use 1.58 as the conversion rate. Even if you use the "buy it now" feature you will still come out ahead ;)

David

Davan

Yep

Davetronz
Yup 15 pin can be video out. :)

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2002, 06:09 PM
thanks for that link on ebay dude....dammit I hate this camera now I tried to get the software to install on windows xp and it says its not compatible, is that even possible:dunno: :rofl: :rofl: they need to put a maximum system with the required system list....dammit it says only win95 or 98,,shoudl I buy the cable and figure out a way to install it or just sell the camera

Dirty_SOHC
10-25-2002, 06:17 PM
I'll take the camera off your hands, if you dont want it

Davetronz
10-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Yea it could be possible that it doesnt work with XP....
See if you can get an uploaded driver/software package from the cameras manufacturer that updates its compatibility to Windows XP