PDA

View Full Version : No more Manual Trannys for BMW?

rage2
10-25-2002, 12:32 PM
http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000103391.cfm

Looks like it's gonna be SMG only very soon.

DSM Power
10-25-2002, 12:36 PM
What are they smoking ??! :banghead:

5gluder
10-25-2002, 12:38 PM
I heard that with the paddle shifters, it takes .80/s to shift. They found it to shift faster with the paddles when compared to the 6-speed.

rage2
10-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Auto/SMG/Sequentials are faster on a roadcourse over many laps. Consistency! :D

rage2
10-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder
I heard that with the paddle shifters, it takes .80/s to shift. They found it to shift faster with the paddles when compared to the 6-speed.

Yep, it's like a perfect power shift every time!

boi-alien
10-25-2002, 12:47 PM
in terms of performance i guess this is definitely a step in the right direction. it'll definitely give you much more consistent laptimes and whatnot. but for some i guess it takes away from the fun to drive factor.

Ferio_vti
10-25-2002, 03:10 PM
Yah, heard about the SMG. Faster than paddle or sport shift or current auto setups.

4wheeldrift
10-25-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by crxboi
in terms of performance i guess this is definitely a step in the right direction. it'll definitely give you much more consistent laptimes and whatnot. but for some i guess it takes away from the fun to drive factor.

And transmission longevity. The synchros are going to get a good work out.

rage2
10-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Only in the higher S modes where the tranny "power shifts". In the lower S modes and the auto modes, the shifts are engaged a little bit before the proper rev speed, then clutch engages after that. For downshifts, every downshift is perfectly rev matched, minimizing both clutch and synchro wear.

Longevity should be the same unless you drive in S6 in day to day driving :D.

5gluder
10-25-2002, 03:27 PM

I was thinking the same, wonder how durabale these trannies are. They are using these paddles on the M sieries, i know BMW was have problems with the new M3 engines. I would not buy the first batch of models that come with the paddles, last thing i want to do is constantly take my car in to a dealership that offers poor service.

4wheeldrift
10-25-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Longevity should be the same unless you drive in S6 in day to day driving :D.
You mean everybody doesn't do that? :burnout: :D

GTS Jeff
10-25-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder

I was thinking the same, wonder how durabale these trannies are. They are using these paddles on the M sieries, i know BMW was have problems with the new M3 engines. I would not buy the first batch of models that come with the paddles, last thing i want to do is constantly take my car in to a dealership that offers poor service. smg has been around for ages, and smg2 has been in europe for a few years now too. i think bmw has had enuff time to work out the kinks

4wheeldrift
10-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
smg has been around for ages, and smg2 has been in europe for a few years now too. i think bmw has had enuff time to work out the kinks

Just like they had lots of time to work out the kinks in the motor in the M3 eh? :confused:

max_boost
10-25-2002, 03:45 PM
Someone needs to take me for a ride in a M3 with the SMG tranny so I can understand how this technology works

GTS Jeff
10-25-2002, 04:18 PM

Just like they had lots of time to work out the kinks in the motor in the M3 eh? :confused: meh, that motor is screwed. its sort of hard to make a 3.2 with such high output reliable.

rage2
10-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Someone needs to take me for a ride in a M3 with the SMG tranny so I can understand how this technology works

Play some GT3. That's how it works. Click right to upshift, click left to downshift :D.

got M
10-25-2002, 05:38 PM
FUKC DAT!!!
I want my clutch, and i want to push it too.
I heard that the cluth engages via hydro's is that true??

here is where technolgy comes in and rapes us of what we are used to. 10 years from now ppl driveing with sticks will be looked upon the same way as people that drive low output high displacment now. OH Well

lilboykorea
10-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
friend has one..man its so cool...
the smg version m3 is .5 seconds faster than the manual at 0-60? ive just heard this from someone...
i can believe it...

gpomp
10-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by lilboykorea

friend has one..man its so cool...
the smg version m3 is .5 seconds faster than the manual at 0-60? ive just heard this from someone...
i can believe it...

I thought the manual was faster? Better launches and powershifting, etc...

BTW, arn't you like 16? How does your friend have an M3 already? (assuming he is also 16)

lilboykorea
10-25-2002, 09:15 PM
:thumbsup: how du know i was 16?
my friend is 24

lilboykorea
10-25-2002, 09:16 PM
hes a :bigpimp: hard for calgarian 24 year old to drive such nice car... he also has another hot ass import

rage2
10-25-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
I thought the manual was faster? Better launches and powershifting, etc...

MT is faster than SMG in a drag race from a stop (SMG's can't launch except in europe with Launch Control). SMG in S6 mode will shift faster than MT.

RiceCake
10-26-2002, 09:01 AM
Well seems as though they are going in the right direction, this should lead to less driver error and bad shifting.. :)

GTS Jeff
10-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by rage2

MT is faster than SMG in a drag race from a stop (SMG's can't launch except in europe with Launch Control). SMG in S6 mode will shift faster than MT. the new smgs here wont have that?

lilboykorea
10-26-2002, 12:30 PM
oh right...btw my friend has european ecu, so im not sure if he can control the launch speed but he told me the launch speed thing is now same as the european spec...and so meaning he can launch faster