PDA

View Full Version : SAIT's body work, the deal...

eur0
10-25-2002, 04:34 PM
I emailed SAIT to ask them about the body work they do to provide their students with experiance and to work on your car... Heres the email:

Attn. Mr. Leigh McDonald
I have been passed a message that you have inquired about our policies for booking auto body repairs into the Auto Body Program here at SAIT?
Attached is our listing criteria that must be met in order to have consideration of project vehicles entering into the program. If your vehicle will fit into all listed criteria, you can call me for an appointment for viewing and possible listing for future programs.
Sincerely,
Steve Schwartz

ATTACHMENT
SAIT Transportation Department
Auto Body Centre
Listing Policy

1) We only list vehicles that will enhance the training that we provide to our students

2) Vehicles must be 8 years of age or younger

3) Vehicles must have collision damage

4) We do not repair rust

5) We do not perform complete paint jobs

6) We do not perform insurance claims

7) You must be able to leave your vehicle for an indefinite period of time

8) We do not supply courtesy vehicles

9) We must view the vehicle in order to determine whether the repairs required are suitable for our students

10) If the vehicle is towed in and rejected, you are responsible for the tow charges

11) We do not accept vehicles that have been disassembled or partially worked on

12) If the required repairs to your vehicle suit our program, we will list your vehicle

13) We look after the ordering of all parts including OEM, quality replacement parts, and good used parts taking price, availability, and time lines into consideration

14) We will contact you if and when we require your vehicle for repairs

15) There is no guarantee that all repairs requested will be performed

16) Your vehicle will be repaired to an Industry Standard

17) You are responsible for the cost of all parts, materials, and a service charge

18) Once the vehicle is completed and you have been notified, you must pick it up within 48 hours or a storage fee will be charged

19) We warranty our work to the same extent as an Industry Standard (1 year on all repairs – no warranty whatsoever on rust)

So I cant get that done :( Stupid 8 year rule

James
10-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Shit thats alot of Criteria! I was hoping to look into getting my Car painted by them, not anymore:(

Pole Position
10-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Oh man, I didn't know that at all.

Our engine program is much simplier.

GP_DrIvEr
10-27-2002, 05:03 PM
hey my car fits into all that criteria!

hmmm i wonder if i should actually take it there to get it fixed? from the sounds of it they could screw you over pretty bad on the amount of time they have your car and what they charge you for parts....

you drop your car off and they are responsible for the ordering of all parts... they could run up a nice big bill and you wouldnt know it till they're done

Pole Position
10-27-2002, 05:32 PM
Although I don't speak for the auto body problem, I know we try to save the customer's as much money as possible.

Let me ask you a question: what do you do if the part is out of spec and cannot be fixed? Do you say screw it and put it back in? I think not. You go out and buy a new or a good used part.

You are right that we keep the car for a good amount of time, but the labour is free. So what's the problem?

And again, we will only order part if we have to. If we can fix it, we will (usually free).

AzN_SoL
10-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Pole Position
Although I don't speak for the auto body problem, I know we try to save the customer's as much money as possible.

Let me ask you a question: what do you do if the part is out of spec and cannot be fixed? Do you say screw it and put it back in? I think not. You go out and buy a new or a good used part.

You are right that we keep the car for a good amount of time, but the labour is free. So what's the problem?

And again, we will only order part if we have to. If we can fix it, we will (usually free).

you in the first year class?.. overhauling engines?.. if so what car you working on?..

Pole Position
10-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Yep, this is my first year. I'm overhauling engines right now. Other class is doing brakes I believe.

Currently working on a 78 Ford F-100. Its a 302, and it wasn't working when we got it. The rods were twisted causing the pistons to took a big chunk out the cylinder wall. Most of the parts cannot be reuse.

CLiVE
10-28-2002, 07:03 PM
darn 8 year rule....