PDA

View Full Version : Mobile 1 vs. Conventional test results...

Toma
10-25-2002, 04:46 PM
1989 For Mustang, a few mods.... You guys with fours will probably see even less of a difference due to smaller volume of oil being pumped through your motors.

The precedure:
1) Change oil and filter to Havoline 5w30 and Fram PH8A.
2) Make 2 dyno pulls to bring everything up to temperature
3) make 3 runs spaced ~7 minutes apart, gunning to get intake temp, oil pan temp, and head temp as close to equal between runs as possible. Made 3 runs

Average of the 3 runs was 232.8 hp

1) Change oil and filter again to Mobile 1 5w30 and new Fram PH8A

The rest was a repeat of above procedure.

Average of 3 runs was 234.6 hp. The Mobile one was worth 1.8hp over the Havoline.

Oil pan temps were kept between 138 and 144 degrees.

THE BIG CHANGE was on the very first run after the oil changes when the oil was still cold (85 degrees oil pan temps). The Havoline turned out 226 hp, Mobile one first run was 232.2 hp, a difference of 6.2hp indicating that when cold, the synthetic was easier to pump (obvious??), but once up to operating temps, the Mobile one was only worh an average of 1.8hp.

So there you go.

Next, I would like to try a real synthetic like Amsoil or Red Line....

Hope someone thought this was usefull ;)

It is my opinion that the difference in power was a result of the viscosities of the 2 oils being different. Had mobile 1 reduced friction, we would have seen this with lower oil pan temps AFTER a run....which we did not see a noticable effect, and further supported with our cold oil test.... just my opinion though.

Toma

speedracer
10-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Toma - thanks for sharing!

Depends when you got the mobil 1. The old stuff is Synthetic :thumbsup:. I still have 12 litres :)

If you have the cash I'd like to see purple oil that everyone raves about.