PDA

View Full Version : Turbo doesn't work?

yobi5888
06-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

I just got a 04 WRX and I've been breaking the engine in for a few weeks, during the break in period, I've been keeping the car running under 4,000 rpm for 98% of the time, now I have about 1800 kms on it, as the owner manaul said, I beleived now I can push the car a bit harder. However, I've been tring to get the turbo to kicks in, but it doesn't seems to work. When I step hard on the gas, yes, the car goes faster, but not that same g force feeling that a turbo should give you.....

Does anyone have the same experience with their WRX, or it is just that the engine or the turbo not break in enough????

Or is there any sercert trick to get the turbo to kick in???

Please Help?

rage2
06-24-2004, 10:26 AM
What you feel is mostly change in acceleration rate, and with the WRX having a small turbo, the powerband is quite flat, so the acceleration rate is flat. It's a good thing... kinda like riding in a Viper, it doesn't feel fast but it is.

If you wanna feel it, get a boost controller, turn the boost down under 4000rpm, and let the boost kick in above that. You'll be slower, but it'll feel a lot faster because it'll go from no power to a lot of power quite dramatically.

89coupe
06-24-2004, 10:27 AM
What is your boost gauge reading?

yobi5888
06-24-2004, 10:33 AM
my car is competely stock, except I just got a tubo timer installed. So I don't have any reading of the boost.

But I mean when I was test driving a WRX from the dealership compare to my own, it's feels like two different cars.

Usually when the turbo kicks in, you can hear some noise from the turbo sounds like it is spinning very fast, and the air are being suck into the engine. But I don't hear any of that on my car.

Fuji
06-24-2004, 11:04 AM
WRX doesn't really give you any kind of kick or suck you head back at all :P buy a boost guage install it and make sure it makes boost

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 11:38 AM
if a wrx is not making any boost it will be slower than a stock civic. 2.0L 7.9:1 compression ratio... you get the idea. like others have siad... you can't feel it "kick in" because the boost threshold is very low in the powerband. it spools by what.. 2000rpm. lol.

Loose
06-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I find that the WRX feels really weak, and yes it doesn't really have the turbo feeling. Although the turbo is small, it really doesn't do anything till 4k rpm.

Do the WRX limit boost in the first 2 gears or something? That might make it feel slower.

If it feels different than the car you tested, maybe you should get it checked out.

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 11:55 AM
the wrx ecu does limit the boost in certain situations. but i have no idea if it limits by the gear. also if the performance doesn't feel up to where it is suppose to you could try a ecu reset too.

GT3
06-24-2004, 11:56 AM
must be your turbo timer you have to install it right, bring it back for double check

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 11:57 AM
a turbo timer has nothing to do with the boost :dunno:

six stars
06-24-2004, 12:04 PM
You should notice the turbo from 3500rpm, it is noticeable, as there is lag before that. I followed the same break in as you and had no problems. I really loved feeling the power of the car up hills especially going up Bow Tr from sarcee, the car just felt strong pulling up that hill, like it had power to burn.
I miss that burst of power from my O4 now but my 05 turbo outback fills the void, the power is smoother with no lag thanks to the vvt. Try test driving another WRX from the dealer.

GT3
06-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
a turbo timer has nothing to do with the boost :dunno:
Yeah but last time my friend install a turbo timer to his new supra and after that the turbo wont boost n e more and he bring it to a dealer and find out his twin turbo screw up. I think he have to rebuild or get a new 1 can't remember

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by GT3

Yeah but last time my friend install a turbo timer to his new supra and after that the turbo wont boost n e more and he bring it to a dealer and find out his twin turbo screw up. I think he have to rebuild or get a new 1 can't remember

that makes no sense at all. installing a turbo timer involves splicing into 3 wires. its even easier if you buy a plug and play harness. unless you buddy wired it in worng i doubt it could screw up anything. even if it was wired in COMPLETELY worng how could it screw up a turbo? never heard that one before. lol.

yobi5888
06-24-2004, 12:12 PM
the wrx ecu does limit the boost in certain situations. but i have no idea if it limits by the gear. also if the performance doesn't feel up to where it is suppose to you could try a ecu reset too.

Can I get the ECU reset myself,, or I must get it done by the dealership?

GT3
06-24-2004, 12:12 PM

that makes no sense at all. installing a turbo timer involves splicing into 3 wires. its even easier if you buy a plug and play harness. unless you buddy wired it in worng i doubt it could screw up anything. even if it was wired in COMPLETELY worng how could it screw up a turbo? never heard that one before. lol.
I have no idea man Just wait till this guy find out wat happen

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by six stars

I miss that burst of power from my O4 now but my 05 turbo outback fills the void, the power is smoother with no lag thanks to the vvt. Try test driving another WRX from the dealer.

there is no such thing as "vvt" on a subaru motor. the subaru variable cam timing system is called AVCS.

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by yobi5888

Can I get the ECU reset myself,, or I must get it done by the dealership?

take the negitive terminal off the battery and let the car sit for awhile... plug it back in and your good to go.

Scat
06-24-2004, 12:47 PM

take the negitive terminal off the battery and let the car sit for awhile... plug it back in and your good to go.

Usually one or two minutes is good enough.

QuasarCav
06-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Scat

Usually one or two minutes is good enough.

I heard it should be closer to 15min.

Never know different cars=different procedures.

SpoonEK9@STRD
06-24-2004, 01:00 PM
15 mins, good god.

six stars
06-24-2004, 01:07 PM

there is no such thing as "vvt" on a subaru motor. the subaru variable cam timing system is called AVCS.

According to the powertrain spec sheets for STi and Legacy from subaru.ca the variable cam timing is called
"Active Valve Control System variable valve timing"
so there is such a thing as "vvt" I just condenced the acronym, if you want to get picky.

Fuji
06-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by six stars

According to the powertrain spec sheets for STi and Legacy from subaru.ca the variable cam timing is called
"Active Valve Control System variable valve timing"
so there is such a thing as "vvt" I just condenced the acronym, if you want to get picky.

Only the STi has AVCS?

benyl
06-24-2004, 03:51 PM
I think the new legacy and outback have it too... could be wrong though...

Fuji
06-24-2004, 04:01 PM
i was under the impression they had teh same shortblock as the STi, but lack the AVCS heads... like the forester XT..

CKY
06-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I think the new legacy and outback have it too... could be wrong though...

you're right, they do :thumbsup:

benyl
06-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Type
2.5-liter DOHC intercooled, turbocharged aluminum-alloy 16-valve 4-cylinder horizontally opposed Subaru Boxer engine with Active Valve Contol System (AVCS). Iridium spark plugs.

Horsepower
250 hp @ 6000 rpm

Torque (lb.-ft.)
250 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm

From Subaru.com

The regular non-turbo Legacy does not have it.

2000impreza
06-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

Only the STi has AVCS?

forester, legacy, and the new outback has it too!

custommx
06-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Rather than wait 15 minutes with your negative terminal off just take it off and just hop in your car and hold your brake pedal down till the brake lights don't work anymore.... works on the mazda

benyl
06-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by custommx
Rather than wait 15 minutes with your negative terminal off just take it off and just hop in your car and hold your brake pedal down till the brake lights don't work anymore.... works on the mazda

could be a long time before the battery runs out.. hahah