PDA

View Full Version : Rally of Turkey

hjr
06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Let's Talk Turkey
http://www.wrc.com/ULImages/Rallies/turkey-preview-2-webok.gif http://www.wrc.com/ULImages/Rallies/turkey-preview-5-webok.gif

Fresh focus
As one of the newest events to be included on the World Rally Championship calendar, there are still plenty of unknowns about Rally Turkey for everyone involved in the sport. What we do know, however, is that it’s a worthy addition to the championship. Rally Turkey is rough, rocky gravel event, very much in the tradition of the preceding Cyprus and Greece, and, thanks to its later slot in the calendar this year – late July, as opposed to March in 2003 – it’s likely to be hotter, and more of an endurance test for the teams and drivers.

Kemer chameleon
Turkey offers an exciting blend of ancient Middle Eastern culture and modern European convenience, thanks to its ongoing westernisation. The rally is based around the village of Kemer, 50km down the road from the holiday resort of Antalya on the southern Mediterranean coast. It’s a region of contrast – from beautiful beaches to breathtaking mountain scenery – and the stages take in the best of it all. The people are friendly and hospitable, there’s plenty to see and do, and the cuisine is superb. In short, it’s a great place for a rally.

Bridge corner
Antalya, in common with its fellow Mediterranean events on the WRC calendar, is home to a wealth of history – especially given Turkey’s position as the bridge between Europe and the Middle East from ancient times to the modern day, and its crucial role in various political disputes and conficts through the ages. Famous visitors have been plenty. St Paul was born in the region, while Mark Antony reportedly visited the area with his regular squeeze, Cleopatra. Could it be the ideal venue with which to introduce your loved one to rallying...?

Sainz of success
After a successful debut for Rally Turkey in 2003, this year’s event takes in many of the same stages, but plenty of subtle changes have been made to take into account the lessons learned from last year. The rough, twisty, high-altitude stages reward technique and reliability in equal measure. Not surprising, then, that the winner of the inaugural event was Carlos Sainz – the most experienced driver in the field, and a master of new events (particularly ones on which getting to the finish is as much of an achievement as a podium result).

Sorry, no tv times available, though I'm sure it will be aired on Speed at some point.

Leader Board after 1 stage:

1. M MÄRTIN 2:12.4
2. C SAINZ +0.7
3. F DUVAL +0.7
4. M GRÖNHOLM +0.8
5. M HIRVONEN +1.0
6. H ROVANPERÄ +1.2
7. P SOLBERG +1.3
8. S LOEB +1.5
9. D CARLSSON +1.6
10. G GALLI +3.1

hjr
06-26-2004, 01:16 PM
After SS12

1. S LOEB 3:49:59.3
2. M GRÖNHOLM +25.9
3. P SOLBERG +1:00.4
4. C SAINZ +2:25.9
5. F DUVAL +4:24.8
6. M HIRVONEN +5:11.4
7. J TUOHINO +8:52.2
8. H SOLBERG +11:33.6
9. A WARMBOLD +15:41.6
10. S YAZICI +16:35.9

hjr
06-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Rally Results:

1. Sébastien LOEB 10 Pts
2. Marcus GRÖNHOLM 8 Pts
3. Petter SOLBERG 6 Pts
4. Carlos SAINZ 5 Pts
5. Francois DUVAL 4 Pts
6. Mikko HIRVONEN 3 Pts
7. Janne TUOHINO 2 Pts
8. Antony WARMBOLD 1 Pts

Overall:

1. S LOEB 53 Pts
2. P SOLBERG 44 Pts
3. M MÄRTIN 34 Pts

1. CITROËN 80 Pts
2. FORD 65 Pts
3. SUBARU 59 Pts

That.Guy.S30
06-27-2004, 04:28 PM
thanks for posting that up. i think only a few members on beyojnd follow the wrc relgiously. lol go petter go!

did you see/hear what happened to granholms(sp) car? haha holy fuck if i was the co-driver i wouldve shit my pants or somethin

hjr
06-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
thanks for posting that up. i think only a few members on beyojnd follow the wrc relgiously. lol go petter go!

did you see/hear what happened to granholms(sp) car? haha holy fuck if i was the co-driver i wouldve shit my pants or somethin { shut up, u gaylord. } - GTS Jeff

That.Guy.S30
06-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by hjr
shut up, u gaylord.

?? i didnt say anythin rude of offensive? so what gives?

hjr
06-28-2004, 01:19 AM
sorry dude, gts jeff hijacked my account when he dropped into my work. nothing personal in the least man. thanks for the support though. Ya, they think a metal spike or something was on the road, its amazing is peirced the floor and the seat and bruised his ass. that would suck really bad as the rest of the rally would be a really hard ride.

A2VR6
06-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Yea the chances of something like that piercing the floor and the seat are pretty rare. I thought it was kinda cool when Loeb drove to the finish line with only 3 wheels.