PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on fiber Glass bumpers

nookmumracing
10-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Is there any way of reinforcing them or making them stronger. I'm more worried about the lip part that will probably get scrapped or bumped the most. Is there a coat that you can spray in the inside or something that you can paste around the inside walls? Don't want to make it super heavy either.

Peace

jdmakkord
10-26-2002, 10:11 AM
good luck.....Just wait, if you hit something like I did last winter
SMASH!!!!! Lots of little pieces of fibreglass.
Damn I should have bought a urethane one instead!!!

infamous
10-26-2002, 10:13 AM
yeah...you could cut the fibreglass and put a metal plate in...that way when you scrape, you get the cool sparks too!! :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
10-26-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by nookmumracing
Is there any way of reinforcing them or making them stronger. I'm more worried about the lip part that will probably get scrapped or bumped the most. Is there a coat that you can spray in the inside or something that you can paste around the inside walls? Don't want to make it super heavy either.

Peace
Hey Shuichi, when I get back to alberta ill have to have a look at your front end but heres what ill be doing with my next Bomex front, Im goin gto go to a metal industrial shop and get some thin sheet metal, measure the underneath of the fiber glass front, cut accordingly and then bolt it up underneath, you can have it stick out a bit like a splitter or have it tucked away nicely so its not even noticeable, whats nice is that the metal can be painted as well, it will prevent you from paint chips, cracks, road kill destruction etc

nookmumracing
10-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Thanks Bro:thumbsup:

jdmakkord
10-28-2002, 10:09 AM
I had a metal skid plate bolted from my lip to the frame on my car. I hit one snow bank and boom.
It would be nice to strenghten a fibreglass bumper, but when something hits it..........:dunno:

Blue Devil 2
10-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
I had a metal skid plate bolted from my lip to the frame on my car. I hit one snow bank and boom.
It would be nice to strenghten a fibreglass bumper, but when something hits it..........:dunno:

So you are saying that Red Lyne Mr2's idea would not work?

nookmumracing
10-28-2002, 11:31 AM
If you hit a lip hard enough it will break but I think this will make the lip a little stronger and durable.
:thumbsup:

Illusionsir
10-28-2002, 12:29 PM
the best thing to do (from experience) is go to REVY and buy aluminum pipe strapping. it cost you like 26 cents for one, buy a few then fiberglass them into the lip. thats why i did on my civic and it has been rock solid reguardless of what i have accidentialy bumpped into!