PDA

View Full Version : NHL Draft Comments

Si_FlyGuy
06-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Gretzky is loony...must've been watching the raptors draft the other night.

accordboi_02
06-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Who the FUCK is Chucko???

I think this is a horrible pick by the Flames. :banghead:

lam-boy
06-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

Hockey's Future says this about Chucko:

Selected 179th overall by the Brandon Wheat Kings in the 2001 WHL Bantam Draft, Kris Chucko instead opted to play in the BCHL rather than going directly to the more difficult WHL. He was one of the youngest captains in the BCHL for the 2003-04 season, given the captains 'C' at the age of only seventeen. Kris was named to the 2004 BCHL All-Star game, and later at the end of the season was selected to the 2004 Interior Conference 2nd All-Star Team.

Talent Analysis

A power forward on the left wing of highly skilled pivot Travis Zajac, Kris Chucko uses his body to create space for his linemates. Not unskilled himself with the puck, Chucko is excellent at driving the net with the puck and can stickhandle in a phone booth. Displayed good playmaking skills all season long, though his shot could use some work, as unless Chucko is very close to the net, he has trouble with accuracy. But physical play is his bread and butter; Kris Chucko can be downright nasty. He hits with tremendous force, he fights with guys two years older than him, and he can skate with effectiveness with a guy on his back. Excellent in the corners and in front of the net, though he tends to get in the way of the shot itself a little too much. His mean streak can get him into trouble, and often takes dumb penalties.

Future

While his skill set is not elite, NHL managers will find themselves enamored with Chucko based on his physical play. He will have to get bigger if he wants to keep playing like that in higher leagues, such as the WHL, the NCAA, or the AHL. The NHL is a long way off for Chucko right now, but there's reason to believe he could very well be there someday.

my thoughts :

he isn't exactly top knotch scoring player but he does play sutter type hockey, which is physical and defensive.

Si_FlyGuy
06-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Sounds like he's many many years away.

lam-boy
06-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Sounds like he's many many years away.

thats what sutter said..

sutter said he will be happy when chucko joins calgary in 2-3 years.

PGTze
06-26-2004, 07:31 PM
A guy who I play lacrosse with was drafted today. Nick Johnson, who was the Jr. A player of the year for the Saint Albert Saints last year was drafted 62nd overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins today, congrats to him.

As far as the Flames pick goes, who know, maybey he will turn out to be amazing, you just never really know. Sutter obviously knows what he's doing.

hockeybronx
06-26-2004, 11:32 PM
As most of you know, I'm a huge Leafs fan.

I'm a little worried after day one of the draft, as far as I know they only got one pick and he was 86th overall.

It really shows how much they put on the line for both the 2003 and 2004 Stanley Cups, they traded many draft picks for 'proven' playoff performers, but still they came up short.

I really think they will go through some pretty intense rebuilding in the near future, especially with whatever happens with Belfour. Bottom line is that every year for the last three years I felt it was going to be "the year" but they just ran out of gas.

Hopefully there will be an 04-05 season so I can say this:
"We'll see what happens"

Gondi Stylez
06-27-2004, 02:53 AM
i thought this years draft was garbage and there wasnt THAT much talent!!

but hey my friends BF got picked by the caps 29 overall in the 1st round and was ranked 8th in the world!! :thumbsup:

accordboi_02
06-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
As most of you know, I'm a huge Leafs fan.

I'm a little worried after day one of the draft, as far as I know they only got one pick and he was 86th overall.

It really shows how much they put on the line for both the 2003 and 2004 Stanley Cups, they traded many draft picks for 'proven' playoff performers, but still they came up short.

I really think they will go through some pretty intense rebuilding in the near future, especially with whatever happens with Belfour. Bottom line is that every year for the last three years I felt it was going to be "the year" but they just ran out of gas.

Hopefully there will be an 04-05 season so I can say this:
"We'll see what happens"

Seeing as how the only way I follow the Leafs is to laugh at their pathetic attempts to win a cup, when was the last time that they have "rebuilt" the team??

It seems to me that ever since Fletcher took over and stole Gilmour that the Leafs just try to add "now" or, more recently, has-been players to try to fill their holes. Are there really any younger players on that team that had been developed in the Leafs' system? And do you really believe that Leaf fans will allow Ferguson to rebuild the team, even if it means missing the playoffs once or twice?? I think he'd be fired in a second; the pressure is already getting to him, seeing those ridiculous contracts given to Klee and Tucker in light of the new CBA.

lam-boy
06-27-2004, 06:55 PM

Seeing as how the only way I follow the Leafs is to laugh at their pathetic attempts to win a cup, when was the last time that they have "rebuilt" the team??

It seems to me that ever since Fletcher took over and stole Gilmour that the Leafs just try to add "now" or, more recently, has-been players to try to fill their holes. Are there really any younger players on that team that had been developed in the Leafs' system? And do you really believe that Leaf fans will allow Ferguson to rebuild the team, even if it means missing the playoffs once or twice?? I think he'd be fired in a second; the pressure is already getting to him, seeing those ridiculous contracts given to Klee and Tucker in light of the new CBA.

haha so true. you hit the nail on the head!

and eminem, the laffs first pick was 90th overall :thumbsup:

A_3
06-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
A guy who I play lacrosse with was drafted today. Nick Johnson, who was the Jr. A player of the year for the Saint Albert Saints last year was drafted 62nd overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins today, congrats to him.

Great guy, he attends the same school as me when he's not in St.Albert. I'd be really glad to see him make it, he for sure has potential, going to Dartmouth next year on a full scholarship i believe! He was thinking about regaining eligibility for next years draft because there is a very good chance he could go first round!

p.s. He actually went 67th overall, JUST outa the second round.

PGTze
06-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by A_3

Great guy, he attends the same school as me when he's not in St.Albert. I'd be really glad to see him make it, he for sure has potential, going to Dartmouth next year on a full scholarship i believe! He was thinking about regaining eligibility for next years draft because there is a very good chance he could go first round!

p.s. He actually went 67th overall, JUST outa the second round.

oops my bad, yeah your right 67th overall, great guy is right :thumbsup:

hockeybronx
06-27-2004, 09:10 PM
as far as I know they only got one pick and he was 86th overall.

Originally posted by lam-boy
haha so true. you hit the nail on the head!

and eminem, the laffs first pick was 90th overall :thumbsup:

If you would have read my post before throwing in your useless comments you would have found that I already knew that.

lam-boy
06-28-2004, 12:44 AM

If you would have read my post before throwing in your useless comments you would have found that I already knew that.

what I don't understand is how 86 and 90 are the same thing??!

hockeybronx
06-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by lam-boy

what I don't understand is how 86 and 90 are the same thing??!

Okay so you did read my post... my bad man.

It's not a big deal, I just figured you thought I was saying that they got a low pick or something.

I'll take your word for it, 90th pick.

Oh well I have no problem admitting that I screwed up:thumbsup:

OK_Computer
07-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Was actually a pretty cool draft to watch.. 2 people that I played with for 2 yeard got picked in the top 150.. Kyle Chipchura by the Habs 18th overall, everyone says that he should be their captain in 5 years or so, then Scott McColloch, 145th overall I think.. to Chicage

Altezza
07-02-2004, 02:26 PM

In the paper the day after he was drafted, the picture of him putting on his jersey looked like as if the name was "Fucko" :rofl:

hyperwhite
07-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by OK_Computer
Was actually a pretty cool draft to watch.. 2 people that I played with for 2 yeard got picked in the top 150.. Kyle Chipchura by the Habs 18th overall, everyone says that he should be their captain in 5 years or so, then Scott McColloch, 145th overall I think.. to Chicage

anuyone knoqw where david shaNTZ ENDED UP. he played on a local Jr. B team in thorold ontario. hesa pretty good. i think he was number 2 in goalise to that montoay them he feel a spot to #3 i think. wheree he go?

dezmarez
07-05-2004, 12:31 AM
good pick by washington