PDA

View Full Version : 98 Neon 2.0l Dohc Replaced W 2.4l Dohc Timing Problems Help!!!!!

98neondohc
06-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Have a 1998 neon DOHC which i just blew the engine in. Replacing the factory 2.0L dohc with a 2.4L dohc from a 99 stratus. Every time i try to start it floods seems to be getting too much gas.

Here is what has been done tell me if there is anything missing please!!!

-all readings are within specs
-checked crank and cam shaft position sensors
-modified the motor mounts
-checked part number on sensors and both are same between engines
-trigger notches on crank shaft seem to be the same on both engines
-tried both the 2.0L and 2.4L coils and plugs with same result (FLOODING)

If any one has ever made the switch between the 2.0 and 2.4 please email me [email protected] your help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

K that was the original that i posted on many other sites since then the injectors have been replaced as we were using the ones from the 2.0L as they are the same for the 2.4L from the stratus. My question has anyone ever done this swap and had a problem with timing??? it has not been flooded since they were changed but it is still off...any tips on timing would be greatly appreacited.
thanks guys
sarah

Weapon_R
06-26-2004, 02:49 PM
What did you replace when you did the swap?

finboy
06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
http://www.neons.org

i think that is one of the neon forums you might get help from

98neondohc
06-26-2004, 07:29 PM
what did i replace when i did the swaP??
as far as i know injectors, plugs etc....
everything else on the engine is pretty much new as it is a reman with roughly 25 000 km on it.

1badPT
06-27-2004, 01:42 PM
I hope you forcefeed that sucker when you're done :D Might want to upgrade your clutch sometime soon ;)

Here check these forums - Stratus came with both engines so there might be someone who bought a 2.0 and swapped in the 2.4.

http://www.stratusphere.us/

I used to have a Cirrus (same as Stratus) and the people at this forum are pretty helpful.

Weapon_R
06-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Did you replace your computer with one from a 2.4?

98neondohc
06-27-2004, 02:32 PM
No!
not required as all sensors are the same part number and neon fuel map is close enough to run the engine.
Do you know anything about a possible difference in the crank shaft notches for the position sensor between the neon 2.0 and the stratus 2.4?

finboy
06-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 98neondohc
No!
not required as all sensors are the same part number and neon fuel map is close enough to run the engine.
Do you know anything about a possible difference in the crank shaft notches for the position sensor between the neon 2.0 and the stratus 2.4?

i think you have to use the 2.0L crank sensor

98neondohc
06-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Actually the crank sensor on the 2.0 and the 2.4 are the same part number so that is not the problem.

We recently discovered that the crank pulses are 180 degrees and the cam shaft is out 90 degrees which was given to us via a very reliable source at mopar... so its either switch the injectors 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-1 or do it the hard way.

Ben
06-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Posting on behalf of 98neondohc, as he posted this question in the wrong thread:

When doing a swapping the 2.0L DOHC out of a 1998 neon with a 1998 stratus 2.4L DOHC I understand that the crank trigger point is out of phase by 180 degrees and the cam sensor is off by 90 degrees. The crank trigger can be fixed by moving the injectors 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-1 but I am wonderign what is the easiest fix for the cam sensor in order to move it the required 90 degrees???
:bullshit:

Drifter_240sx
07-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Have you fixed your problem yet. If not I would seriously suggest, along with Weapon_R, that you replace the ECU. I have a nissan 240sx and I did an SR20DET swap, all the wiring and sensors are the same, its an identical motor to the KA24DE(stock motor) only turbo charged, and I had to replace the ECU regardless of sensors or anything of the sort. Besides would it hurt so bad to unscrew 3 screws......and plug in a wire or 2? It wouldnt hurt to try...Latez

rice_eater
07-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Actually the crank sensor on the 2.0 and the 2.4 are the same part number so that is not the problem.

We recently discovered that the crank pulses are 180 degrees and the cam shaft is out 90 degrees which was given to us via a very reliable source at mopar... so its either switch the injectors 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-1 or do it the hard way.

first of all, moving your injectors around wont do anything. I would first check that your spark plug wires are going to the right plugs. Then i would check that the timing marks lign up...NOT JUST CAM GEARS, but cams and crank together. After doing this, here's why you're having your problem:

-Why are you using 24lb injectors? Do I have to change the fuel system?

You can use the stock injectors anytime as long as you use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with them. If you use 24lb injectors you don’t need the regulator but it is suggested for tunablity of the engine to your mods. Yes you can use some kind of piggy back fuel controller like the Apexi SAFC or a Split Second ARC1. You still must use 24lb injectors to be on the safe side. The 2.4 motor is bigger, makes more power and needs more fuel to satisfy it thirst. Feed it well and it will be good to you. Feed it to little and it will lean and blow up.

TrevorK
07-05-2004, 08:51 AM
If you are flooding then you are either putting in too much fuel, or not igniting the fuel that is getting in.

If you are putting in too much fuel, and you have the proper injectors than switch the computer (You even state the fuel maps are different).

If you are not igniting the fuel, then narrow down exactly which cylinder(s) isn't igniting.

These things may take time to troubleshoot, as you have to "engineer" a solution for everything. Are the injectors plugged into the proper spot on the harness for your application?

speedracer
07-05-2004, 01:04 PM
so its either switch the injectors 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-1 or do it the hard way.

You can do it hard the way. Really you don't need to switch injectors.

Did you read the FAQ on 2.4 swaps?
Did you swap the 2 outer(ground/control) coil pack connector wires?? Don't forget on the neon the DIS is batch fire.

Other than that - Wrong forum to post since few folks here have done a 2.4 swap (only 90shelby on this forum do I know has worked on 2.4's) --> mentioned before go here www.neons.org/forums

Darion
08-20-2004, 12:42 PM
I've done this swap before. I can't think of anything other than injectors causing your problem. I did the reccommended injector switch and had no problem with flooding or excessive fuel problems. Even put in larger Accel injectors. The injector switch is 4 (light blue- brown stripe) to 3 (white- yellow stripe); 3 to 2 (tan); 2 to 1 (white- blue stripe); 1 extended to 4. Hope this helps.

Edit: Quoted from the other site. My memory what it used to be:

Injector plug 1 must be plugged into injector 2.
Injector plug 2 must be plugged into injector 3.
Injector plug 3 must be plugged into injector 4.
Injector plug 4 wires must be extended so it can be plugged into injector 1.

Tilly
08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
ask this on apexmodified.ca

they will answer your questions for sure, as I've heard this come up before.