PDA

View Full Version : how to remove wheel locks without a key?

szw
06-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Is it hard? what shops can do it, and would it be expensive or cheap?

Thanks

boostless
06-26-2004, 03:01 PM
theyd jus rip em out kinda, and ud need to go buy new ones...

szw
06-26-2004, 03:03 PM
who?

Weapon_R
06-26-2004, 03:07 PM
You can do it yourself.

Get a socket that is bigger than the lock nut. Force it on with a hammer, and then turn. Your socket may/may not be ruined, but its cheaper than a shop. Most tire shops can do it.

hjr
06-26-2004, 03:40 PM
get a grinder and grind 2 opposing sides of the locknut (refer to image). this way you can get a big cresent wrench or find an actual wrench that will fit on it, and you can generally do it that way.

finboy
06-26-2004, 05:27 PM
get a 12 point socket, hit it on, take off the lug, put the socket in a vise and nock out the wheel lock, repeat for the rest.

it is important to use a 12 point as there it is less likely to crack, meaning you don't break your socket.

illeagle
06-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Kal tire took my locks off for free:poosie:

If you wanna save money, and some elbow grease, do the socket thing, but use an impact gun... Good luck! don't get caught!

finboy
06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
don't get caught!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

googe
06-26-2004, 06:15 PM
yeah this shoulda been answered in pm...theres alot of amateur thieves around here that could probably benefit from the info

cobber112879
06-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by googe
yeah this shoulda been answered in pm...theres alot of amateur thieves around here that could probably benefit from the info

:rofl: That would be pretty sneaky. Trying to quietly hammer a socket onto a locking wheel nut to swipe some rims.

freakin
06-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Most tire shops will have a set of 'master' keys that they can try out. If none fit, I've used a socket that has thread down the inside of it. Put that on an impact gun, and it'll thread itself down the lug then once it bottoms out, it'll turn the lug. The old lug is a bitch to get out afterwards though. These sockets also work great on stripped lugs.

Mike09
06-26-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by szw
Is it hard? what shops can do it, and would it be expensive or cheap?

Thanks
If it's on your spec-v and it's the OEM nissan one's I can
PM me if oyu want!

Scat
06-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Mike09

If it's on your spec-v and it's the OEM nissan one's I can
PM me if oyu want!

:werd:
Mikey works at Nissan. He's got tha hook-up:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
06-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by googe

:rofl: If you don't notice a thief taking your wheel locks off using this method, you deserve to have your wheels stolen. This method is time consuming, loud, and takes quite some effort. It's not something a thief would want to try, as most vehicle owners would have already curb stomped a would-be thief before he even got a single wheel off using this ghetto style.

googe
06-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

:rofl: If you don't notice a thief taking your wheel locks off using this method, you deserve to have your wheels stolen. This method is time consuming, loud, and takes quite some effort. It's not something a thief would want to try, as most vehicle owners would have already curb stomped a would-be thief before he even got a single wheel off using this ghetto style.

*shrug* with only 1 lock per wheel (typically the case, not every nut is keyed) i dont see it taking THAT long...but i havent tried :)

method
06-27-2004, 06:53 PM
it takes that long. trust me.