PDA

View Full Version : Photo radar tickets?

JiggaMan
06-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Uh oh..

I was driving home from my girlfriends house at about 5:30 am this morning, and there was a cop car set up right by the intersection of blackfoot and southland. It was just after a little hill too so i couldnt see him, and i was going really fast :(

Probably about 110 in a 60 zone.. he didnt pull out or anything and i couldnt tell if its photo radar. But i heard that photo radar is usually never set up in actual police units? Is this right or am I in trouble?

If i do end up getting a ticket how much do you think it would be?

BTW, this is in Calgary.

Thanks fellas, and good luck to me :(

eb0i
06-27-2004, 04:59 PM
most photo radar i've encountered is set up inside the vehicle. The cop won't pull out or anything if you speed by it because they have just taken your picture.

But doing 110 in a 60 zone will get you a pretty big fine. You're lucky it was just photo radar or you'd be looking at demerits as well.

V6-BoI
06-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Wow 110 in a 60 zone, that's gonna be at least 300 bucks. That sucks...

Orbie
06-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah most of the photo radar I've seen is set up in police cars. Good luck to you man, I have no idea why you were doing 110 on a 60 but that's beyond ignorance. Good luck but I hope this ticket will have taught you something.

WGR4Pussies
06-27-2004, 06:42 PM
they rarely have photo radar in police cars, its ususally in some kind of mini van or ghost car, it only makes sense to put it there.

but he probly got you anyway, so this would be a good time to kill yourself.;)

Honda Eater
06-28-2004, 12:48 AM
I dont know if you could use this information to fight a ticket but just incase.. One of my good friends recently(last year) completeed training and became a police oficer here in the NYPD. Police Radar is overclocked, set up to entrap you. One night when we were all hanging out he stopped by in his patrol car while on duty and showed us. He rested the gun upside down on a cinderblock so it was completely stable and not moving and fired it at a garage door. The gun shows that my garage door was moving at 7 miles per hour. WOW. I doubted its accuracy because it was inverted and tried myself a few times. It always showed between 8-10 miles per hour (slight hand movement and trembling is unavoidable). The only problem you would have using this info is proving it. I doubt your local PD would be willing to hand over a radar unit without first modding it back to stock op's. I know this wouldnt make much of a differnce if you were moving at 100+ but the fact that the gun is faulty could cancel the ticket. Also I have 2 other proven ticket beating tips for you.

1) WHen you pay a ticket of any kind, always pay by mail and pay an extra 10 or so dollars. They will mail you back a check for the extra money and as long as you do not cash it the cycle will not complete and it will not be filed on your license.

2) if you have a car with no badges and the cop is not car smart, he might leave the description blank or write ina what he thinks ur car is and most likely be wrong. If the cops desription ever is different form the vehicle you own the ticket is automatically void.

Rockski
06-28-2004, 01:25 AM
shitty man

for going that fast over you might as well turn in your balls as a pennance, i got 2 photos that were about 20 kliks over the limit, and they were both around 120$, and i got pulled over out in innisfail in my k car at 145 in a 100 and got around a 300, the guy cop wrote me up for olny 35 over the limit there, but it still stung, you shouldnt end up with any demerits though, all i can say is hope for the best

eb0i
06-28-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Honda Eater

1) WHen you pay a ticket of any kind, always pay by mail and pay an extra 10 or so dollars. They will mail you back a check for the extra money and as long as you do not cash it the cycle will not complete and it will not be filed on your license.

2) if you have a car with no badges and the cop is not car smart, he might leave the description blank or write ina what he thinks ur car is and most likely be wrong. If the cops desription ever is different form the vehicle you own the ticket is automatically void.

1) It's a photo radar ticket that won't show up on a drivers abstract (no demerits) so the insurance won't find out about it anyways, so no use in trying this no depositing cheat.

2) The photograph takes the picture of your licence plate/car, then is run through the computer showing what type of car you have.....

3) He deserves a ticket if he is doing 50 over in a 60 zone....I'd understand doing 20 over....but 50. Imagine if he was doing 10 more and a cop pulled him over doing dbl the speed limit:eek:

TurboZombie
06-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Did you notice if a flash went off as you drove by? Or was there enough sunlight not to need the flash?

JiggaMan
06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
One thing I have heard is it doesnt matter if you are going 10 over or 50 over with photo radar.. also how long does it take to find out if i got a ticket? can i find out earlier?

Gonthro
06-28-2004, 01:28 PM
photo radars are almost NEVER in police cars... why would thye pay a cop X dollars an hour when they can pay a civilian half that to sit in a van and look at a screen and make sure the pictures are clear...

it is rare that they have an actual cop running the camera's so even if you were doing stupid fast as you drive by a photo radar they couldn't arrest you or anyhting because they aren't cops.

Rockski
06-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by JiggaMan
One thing I have heard is it doesnt matter if you are going 10 over or 50 over with photo radar.. also how long does it take to find out if i got a ticket? can i find out earlier?

dude mine have taken about 2 weeks, but id give/take another week ontop just for good measure, if it was at night you should of seen the flash, if not, you just might have a horse shoe in your ass and be lucky

Seanith
06-28-2004, 06:41 PM
does that whole "pay more than the ticket is worth" crap work? I knew about that for a long time, but didn't know if it was true..

randomhero8473
06-29-2004, 08:59 PM
It wasn't photo radar, because cops don't do photo radar. City employees do, same kind of guys who give out parking tickets.

cman
06-30-2004, 12:10 AM
while on topic of photo radar...
my deadline is coming up quikly (july5th)
for my 82 in a 70 zone ticket ($87).

i was just wondering if i should a)pay the ticket, b)go downtown and plead not guilty/try to get a pardon. would i stand a chance?
i have no traffic offences ever other than this one

Roadrage
06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
does that whole "pay more than the ticket is worth" crap work? I knew about that for a long time, but didn't know if it was true..

No it does not work.

QuasarCav
06-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by cman
while on topic of photo radar...
my deadline is coming up quikly (july5th)
for my 82 in a 70 zone ticket ($87).

i was just wondering if i should a)pay the ticket, b)go downtown and plead not guilty/try to get a pardon. would i stand a chance?
i have no traffic offences ever other than this one

It wont be much drop if you do. unless you are pleading not guilty.

Is the 3 hours off work worth 87$?

sputnik
06-30-2004, 12:16 PM
No real point in fighting photo radar. It doesnt affect your driving record and for most, $87 isnt worth taking a day off work for.

JiggaMan
06-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Most people are saying cops dont do photo radar, so i feel a little better. Maybe the cop was sleeping on the side of the road.. it was 5:30 am :P

My other questions is for photo radar tickets does it tell you exactly how fast you were going as well? Cuz I have heard with photo radar, you are either speeding or not speeding. Is that true?

randomhero8473
06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JiggaMan
Most people are saying cops dont do photo radar, so i feel a little better. Maybe the cop was sleeping on the side of the road.. it was 5:30 am :P

My other questions is for photo radar tickets does it tell you exactly how fast you were going as well? Cuz I have heard with photo radar, you are either speeding or not speeding. Is that true?

They mail you a date/time, speed you were going, speed limit, a shitty b/w photo of your license plate and a yellow ticket just like you'd get if a cop actually pulled you over. Same price too, but no demerits.

However, if you were going more than 50 over you don't get a price, you get a court appearance date.

mroseneder
07-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Police radar, laser and photo radar guns - by law - must be calibrated at the beginning of a shift, after each ticket written, and at the end of a shift to maintain continuity in court.

If you fight a ticket and a cop can't prove he calibrated the gun (by his notes), the ticket is garbage.

So that shit about the NYPD guns being set up to entrap would mean no person that receives a ticket from one of those guns would have to pay it.