PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Voted and Weren't ID'd?

Weapon_R
06-28-2004, 03:16 PM
I found something that was pretty interesting today. I voted with my election registration card, and was not ID'd. Anyone else think this is bullshit? I could have brought any registration card and voted with it.

B17a
06-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Do you need that registration card or can you just show up wiht a driver's license?

roopi
06-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Do you need that registration card or can you just show up wiht a driver's license?

Drivers License and something with your current address.

Weapon_R
06-28-2004, 03:19 PM

A driver's licence is fine, but I am trying to find out who else didn't need ID to vote. At the station I was at, NO ONE who had the Elections Canada card needed ID.

B17a
06-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Drivers License and something with your current address.

AND something with a current address? My license already has that!?:dunno:

Melinda
06-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Yeah my dad and I went down together with our voting cards and they never ID'd us either. I was actually talking to both my parents after I got home about it. Apparently they've never been ID'd for voting so it didnt seem weird to them. sure does to me though...:dunno:

Weapon_R
06-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Yeah my dad and I went down together with our voting cards and they never ID'd us either. I was actually talking to both my parents after I got home about it. Apparently they've never been ID'd for voting so it didnt seem weird to them. sure does to me though...:dunno:

Seems pretty strange to me too. I don't see how this crap is democratic. I could bring my moms, sisters, or dad's ID card and vote again, assuming the polling station people don't recognize me, which isn't hard because I could wait til 6:30pm when another shift arrives (I voted in the morning).

AquamosH
06-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I didn't get ID'd either. Thought it was kind of strange. :dunno:

roopi
06-28-2004, 03:31 PM

AND something with a current address? My license already has that!?:dunno:

Not all people do though. Like me. :)

Melinda
06-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Seems pretty strange to me too. I don't see how this crap is democratic. I could bring my moms, sisters, or dad's ID card and vote again, assuming the polling station people don't recognize me, which isn't hard because I could wait til 6:30pm when another shift arrives (I voted in the morning).
The only thing is that your age is on thr ballot card so if you brought your dad's card and it said you wer 50 or whatever, or if the card said something like "judy" or something as the name, they'd probably call BS but I see what you mean

sxtasy
06-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I didnt recieve a voters card, how do i find out where to vote? And can I just go and vote with id?

tulit
06-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I thought it was weird too. I was even starting to go through my wallet looking for my license and they said dont worry...

freakin
06-28-2004, 04:01 PM
These cards are mailed out, correct? In theory, one could very easily steal them out of mail boxes before recipient knew it was sent to them. If the personal stats were similar enough, said person could use these cards to vote multiple times. This would be even easier if these cards were collected from different communities with different voting stations so as to not arouse any suspicion.

I guess we're just too damn trusting to think that someone would ever exploit this chance.

They really should ID you, even with that card.

Hakkola
06-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
I didnt recieve a voters card, how do i find out where to vote? And can I just go and vote with id?

I DID NOT get a voters card, I went down there, showed my id, and they registered me so I could vote.

ZCracer
06-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I didn't bring my voter card nor did they ask for ID. The just asked my adress and name :dunno:

Seanith
06-28-2004, 05:12 PM
I just brought my voters card and wasn't I.D'd either. For the integrity of the system, I would of liked to be ID'd.

sxtasy
06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
the lady i talked to when i registered could barely speak english. On top of that she spelled my name wrong (how hard is it to spell "Justin") and wrote down the wrong polling number. Then the guy at my polling box looked at my sheet and said "looks like you have the wrong polling box, oh well not my responsibility"
I cant believe how pathetic this whole system is :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

autobodygal
06-28-2004, 05:20 PM
No voter's card and I wasn't ID'd either. They had me on the registration list but didn't ask me for ID to prove who I was.

BebeAphrodite
06-28-2004, 05:24 PM
yep.. me neither... just had to bring the card and i was able to vote

hjr
06-28-2004, 05:40 PM
just the card for me. I totally expected an id check. But i guess thoy dont care. as long as you came down to vote they are happy i suppose.

finboy
06-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by hjr
just the card for me. I totally expected an id check. But i guess thoy dont care. as long as you came down to vote they are happy i suppose.

yea, i was amazed with that too, i had my wallet out and they told me to forget about it.

who's down for some stuffing of the ballot box? :D

rice_eater
06-29-2004, 08:00 AM
i didnt even have a voter card, and they said as long as my name is on the list they dont want id :dunno:

boi-alien
06-29-2004, 08:08 AM
no ID needed here, i thought it was weird too

Lennon
06-29-2004, 08:20 AM
No ID either, but didn't find it weird. I don't remember the last time I was ID for anything

Melinda
06-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Lennon
No ID either, but didn't find it weird. I don't remember the last time I was ID for anything
Well its not exactly like walking into a liquor store when they can look at you and say "yep, you're over 18, go ahead and buy my product" This is a more like "hmm well you look like a (insert name here) to me so you must be him, go ahead and vote" I dunno, I'd prefer people to be ID'd

eb0i
06-29-2004, 10:50 AM
yeah i'd prefer ID's to be checked as well. And my ID wasn't checked either, which at the time I felt is really odd as well.

Idratherbsidewayz
06-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I worked at St Jude's on monday, and there was only one shift.

They changed it from name to address this year, kind of wierd, fucked lots of people up. I thought that ID was necessary when getting your name crossed off the list, I find that very wierd (we were checking for it at our place). People must have been cutting corners. For the people who didn't bring a card, we didn't need ID, just an address. Then wed send you to the station and you had to present your ID there to get your name crossed off the list.

What kind of a democracy is it anyways when only 60.5% of people vote...?

dogmaiwli
06-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I had a Voters Card (the mail-out) and I didn't get id'd at all, I could have stole all my neighbours and gone an voted the way I wanted everytime :thumbsdow :dunno:

OK_Computer
06-29-2004, 11:50 AM
yeah, I didn't get ID'ed either

rc2002
06-29-2004, 01:55 PM
I didn't get ID'ed either. But even if you did steal cards from your neighbors and friends and family, it wouldn't be enough to make a difference (especially in our riding - Stephen Harper).

And if enough cards went missing and were reported then I'm sure there would have a repoll for that riding. Everything would work itself out in the end. :thumbsup:

What they need to do is have a trustworthy person watching the people counting the ballots. I heard that during the referrendum vote, there was a lot of fishy counting going on...

Weapon_R
06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I didn't get ID'ed either. But even if you did steal cards from your neighbors and friends and family, it wouldn't be enough to make a difference (especially in our riding - Stephen Harper).

And if enough cards went missing and were reported then I'm sure there would have a repoll for that riding. Everything would work itself out in the end. :thumbsup:

What they need to do is have a trustworthy person watching the people counting the ballots. I heard that during the referrendum vote, there was a lot of fishy counting going on...

Probably not in Alberta, but there were some hotly contested ridings in the East that could have easily been swayed. I'm not saying that it happened, but someone desperate enough to tip the scales in a riding like the ones which were so close could easily have rallied several volunteers to do so. It just seems strange to me, thats all. I have a name very similar to my grandpas, and could have voted twice since he couldn't make it to the polls. :dunno:

Idratherbsidewayz
06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

They actually do this. The people are called scrutineers and there is one or two from each party overlooking the voting and counting of ballots.

Skyline_Addict
06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
I wasn't IDed