PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler size??

DriftScort
06-28-2004, 07:56 PM
hey guys, im just wondering what would be a good recomended intercooler size for a guy running 7-8 psi??? thanx for your help :)

finboy
06-28-2004, 07:59 PM
what kind of car, what size turbo, what size motor, etc.

7-8 psi out of one turbo is completely different than 7-8psi out of another turbo.

DriftScort
06-28-2004, 08:03 PM
IHI VJ20 on a 1.8L jdm mazda bp turbo

finboy
06-28-2004, 08:06 PM
what kind of car, what motor, etc. need more info man, lol.

vj20 is a pretty small turbo correct? same kind of thing on the 626 turbo?

WGR4Pussies
06-28-2004, 09:00 PM
IHI, I'd say get a MK3 supra intercooler, you don't need anything bigger then that.

finboy
06-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies
IHI, I'd say get a MK3 supra intercooler, you don't need anything bigger then that.

even a probe intercooler would work, those things flow quite decently and can be adapted for just about any application w/o much issue.

WGR4Pussies
06-29-2004, 03:12 AM
heres a detailed list of junkyard intercoolers....one of these should suit your application nicely :D

http://www.student.kun.nl/p.oonincx/Intercooler.html

hey finboy, whats that link that shows you junkyard intercooler flor test results, i can't seem to find it

DriftScort
06-29-2004, 08:44 PM
sorry im not looking for a junkyard intercooler, im looking for an aftermarket front mount, im thinking 18" core

EK 2.0
06-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by DriftScort
sorry im not looking for a junkyard intercooler, im looking for an aftermarket front mount, im thinking 18" core

All right easy there Bling Bling Man...a core for a Silvia will work fine for you man...get one of those...

Apexi makes a nice-ass one...Greddy and HKS also make cores that will suit your needs...

finboy
06-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies
heres a detailed list of junkyard intercoolers....one of these should suit your application nicely :D

http://www.student.kun.nl/p.oonincx/Intercooler.html

hey finboy, whats that link that shows you junkyard intercooler flor test results, i can't seem to find it

unfortunatly i don't think it exists anymore.

the guy who did the test died in an accident and since then, more and more of his site has been dissapearing :(

finboy
06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by DriftScort

why?

WGR4Pussies
06-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by finboy

unfortunatly i don't think it exists anymore.

the guy who did the test died in an accident and since then, more and more of his site has been dissapearing :(

never mind, I found it, lazy ass, the old slugmobile website is still up.... http://www.gusmahon.org/html/cooler%20test.htm

thanks Gus (RIP)

finboy
06-29-2004, 11:43 PM
good to see some of gus' site is still up, he's the master of ghettofying, lol.

hjr
06-30-2004, 01:09 AM
he has some money and doesnt need to ghetto it too hard, thats why he wants a new intercooler. (not really the style on this board is it? haha)

other than getting ultra mathmatical, is there a good way to determine a nice size intercooler for a turbo application?

WGR4Pussies
06-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by hjr
is there a good way to determine a nice size intercooler for a turbo application?

look at the space behind the front bumber :rofl:

hjr
06-30-2004, 01:38 AM
holy crap, do you ever say anything useful? i think you do know some shit, but if you cant help, keep the whoring to a minumum please. obviously im refering to sizing the intercooler to the turbo and engine (as i specifically stated) not to the bumper.

1-Bar
06-30-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
All right easy there Bling Bling Man...a core for a Silvia will work fine for you man...get one of those...

Apexi makes a nice-ass one...Greddy and HKS also make cores that will suit your needs...

...$900+ for the core alone...:werd: That's ain't "junkyard", unless you find a modded sylvia there...but that's a different story...

WGR4Pussies
06-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by hjr
holy crap, do you ever say anything useful? i think you do know some shit, but if you cant help, keep the whoring to a minumum please. obviously im refering to sizing the intercooler to the turbo and engine (as i specifically stated) not to the bumper.

Aftermarket intercoolers usually list their "good to XXX HP" I don't know any mathematical equation, but I'm sure it has something to do with size, pressure drop, and design, since nobody said they where building a Race car, and he wants to fork out alot of money, then why not get a nice size that will fit behind the front bumber? With 7 psi you barely need a intercooler, so anything bigger then a mazda intercooler won't do much, so whhy not just get the biggest bling bling?

QuasarCav
06-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Anyone have any luck with getting a junkyard intercooler?

I've tried for a while now with no luck.

If anyone has one drop me a line. Thanks

WGR4Pussies
06-30-2004, 01:43 PM
lol, yeah, its hard to get them, but generally at bucks and pick your part, the mazdas, vovlos, saabs, AUDIs, have them, some of the dodges have them aswell, I've gotten a couple from there, spcificaly a audi intercooler.

non self serve junkyards have them as well, alot more usually, you can usually pick them up for quite a bit more, about 100 bucks or less, just go in with a list of turbo cars and ask if they have the intercoolers in stock, if you bug them enough, they will let you walk the yard so you can look for other goodies/cars you dont have on your list.

QuasarCav
06-30-2004, 01:46 PM
^^^^^

thanks, have any you would be willing to let go?

sorry for thread jacking, it's on topic:angel:

WGR4Pussies
06-30-2004, 03:17 PM
I have a Audi one, its kinda beat up, i'm in the process on bending back the fins, it has plasitc end tanks that i can inlcude along with the core... I'll bend back all the fins and sell it to you for 70 bucks?

QuasarCav
06-30-2004, 03:40 PM
could you give me some rough dementions so I can see if it fits?

If she fits, sounds good.

finboy
06-30-2004, 05:11 PM
try an srt-4 intercooler, looks aftermarket, barely used, flows great, and you can get them from the srt boards for around 200 us ready to install

WGR4Pussies
06-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
could you give me some rough dementions so I can see if it fits?

If she fits, sounds good.

Lagendboy had one awhile back, I'll go take pics of mine, and give you some rough measurements.