PDA

View Full Version : Police Auctions? Good or not, and in Alberta?

Canadian_2K
06-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey, I've recently stumbled upon the realization that police auctions can be killer deals... especially cars. But I do realize that Canada is different than the United States in the way we handle certain things. So, does Canada, or specificaly, Alberta, have similar things with similar deals? I want to pimp out in a drug dealers old ride... heh.

O_J
06-28-2004, 10:12 PM
where in are thes police auctions and when do they start?

Canadian_2K
06-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by O_J
where in calgary are thes police auctions and when do they start?

Well, that's what I'm asking... if any of these kind of things are held in Calgary or Edmonton and such. I know they are held in the states all the time, property, repo stuff, things police take from drug busts and dealers, stolen things never claimed, all sorts of stuff...

That.Guy.S30
06-28-2004, 10:20 PM
yup they happen but you have to have a membership to get in. lots of nice rides for a cheap price.

O_J
06-28-2004, 10:21 PM
lol we have lots of private auctions and most of the cars are piece of craps, i think police auctions are better

O_J
how to get membership?

78si
http://www.calgaryparking.com/auctioninfo.php3

Canadian_2K
06-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
yup they happen but you have to have a membership to get in. lots of nice rides for a cheap price.

I know there are many car dealerships that use this as a way to get cheap cars for resale, easy money and all, but how could I go about getting a membership?

Kobe
06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
you dont need a membership, the cars aren't the greatest but you can find a few nice ones, but they usally go for almost what they are worth.. Last time i was there i 99 dodge darango went for $12,500 i think, which isn't cheap at all, but my friend once saw a 99' Prelude go for 5,000 cuase it had a broken windsheild, and scratched..

The problem with the auctions is, you dont know if the car has an engine or not, and you need to have it inspected before you can drive it, Most cars like 89 Tegs go for $100 - $500 its good for a cheap car...

Canadian_2K
06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
you dont need a membership, the cars aren't the greatest but you can find a few nice ones, but they usally go for almost what they are worth.. Last time i was there i 99 dodge darango went for $12,500 i think, which isn't cheap at all, but my friend once saw a 99' Prelude go for 5,000 cuase it had a broken windsheild, and scratched..

The problem with the auctions is, you dont know if the car has an engine or not, and you need to have it inspected before you can drive it, Most cars like 89 Tegs go for $100 - $500 its good for a cheap car...

Don't have an engine? You can check out the vehicles before the auction... Check under the hood. But that's not as great of a deal as I thought... then again, auctions can be awsome sources of deals, and sometimes, go way higher than actual value.

Gonthro
06-29-2004, 08:16 AM
you can look under the hood, you can look at anyhting on the car you want (oil, coolant, tranny, all physical stuff, milage, interior, ect..) as long as you dont damage the car or attempt tp start it, that'll get you thrown out real fast.

That.Guy.S30
06-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Canadian_2K

I know there are many car dealerships that use this as a way to get cheap cars for resale, easy money and all, but how could I go about getting a membership?

sorry man i dont know how to get a membership. my buddy has one. he got a 96 integra in good condition (shitty green paint, thats all) for 500 bucks.

Weapon_R
06-29-2004, 12:26 PM
You don't need a membership. I've never seen a decent car go for far less than its worth. Good cars sell for almost market value, and you can't even drive it/test it out.

Shitty cars like Pontiac 6000s go for about $100.

Kobe
06-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Don't have an engine? You can check out the vehicles before the auction... Check under the hood. But that's not as great of a deal as I thought... then again, auctions can be awsome sources of deals, and sometimes, go way higher than actual value.

Sorry ment that you cant start the car see if the engine is running, on some cars you cant even check the oil becuase the hood wont pop, or the doors aren't opened..

Anyways the Auction in on the 3rd Saturday of every month..

Usally around the 17th

Gonthro
06-29-2004, 12:57 PM

sorry man i dont know how to get a membership. my buddy has one. he got a 96 integra in good condition (shitty green paint, thats all) for 500 bucks.

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: a million times :bullshit:

you DO NOT need a membership and you WILL NOT get a teg for $500

maybe you're thinkign of impact auctions, its where all the insurance writoffs go to get sold... you do need a membership there which is $50 for a year... www.impactauto.ca

That.Guy.S30
06-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: a million times :bullshit:

you DO NOT need a membership and you WILL NOT get a teg for $500

maybe you're thinkign of impact auctions, its where all the insurance writoffs go to get sold... you do need a membership there which is $50 for a year... www.impactauto.ca

no dude i was with him.. he rides his integra that he bought for 500 bucks everyday and it is NOT an insurnace writeoff. the thing about the membership maybe false, he might of lied to me when i asked him but whatever lol

Canadian_2K
06-29-2004, 02:37 PM
So what I've understood here is that they aren't as good as I had been led to belive, right? Damn... *sigh* guess I'll just move on then.

Gonthro
06-29-2004, 02:45 PM

no dude i was with him.. he rides his integra that he bought for 500 bucks everyday and it is NOT an insurnace writeoff. the thing about the membership maybe false, he might of lied to me when i asked him but whatever lol

whatever, he did NOT get a 96 teg from the police auction for $500.

you;d be lucky to get a beat 90 civic for $500 from there.

So what I've understood here is that they aren't as good as I had been led to belive, right? Damn... *sigh* guess I'll just move on then.

it was good about 5-10 years ago, but since then all the slimey used car dealers go there to get thier lemons now.

Weapon_R
06-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Think of how the cars ended up being there:

1) Your car gets impounded for doing something stupid.

2) You are given 30 days to get your car.

Now, consider the reasons why someone wouldn't get a car from there. Either you have no money, or the cars a piece of a shit that isn't worth getting. Chances are, its the latter. Why else would someone who owned a newer car not get it back for nominal fee of 60-100 dollars.

That.Guy.S30
06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro

whatever, he did NOT get a 96 teg from the police auction for $500.

you;d be lucky to get a beat 90 civic for $500 from there.

and you know this because? you know my firend? or is it because you just cant believe his luck? where you there with us? i highly doubt it. lol would you like to talk to my friend and ask him yourself? haha holy crap some ppl on beyond need to chill out.

sputnik
06-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Think of how the cars ended up being there:

1) Your car gets impounded for doing something stupid.

2) You are given 30 days to get your car.

Now, consider the reasons why someone wouldn't get a car from there. Either you have no money, or the cars a piece of a shit that isn't worth getting. Chances are, its the latter. Why else would someone who owned a newer car not get it back for nominal fee of 60-100 dollars.

Also, are all of the cars guaranteed to be free of liens?