PDA

View Full Version : Turek Takes a Paycut!!!

accordboi_02
06-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Holy shit, it was reported on Global sports tonight that Sutter and Turek renegotiated his contract, and that Turek WANTS to stay here in Calgary, so instead of sticking us for the $4+ mill a year, the deal now looks like:

yr 1 - 1.5
yr 2 - 1.65
yr 3 - 1.75

Damn, I have so much more respect for this guy now. Hopefully *cough* a certain captain will take notice of this selfless act and do something similar???

Story should be in the Herald tomorrow.

Major props to Turek for this!!! :thumbsup: :D :D :D

cobber112879
07-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Much respect earned by Turek for that move.:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
07-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Iginla is worth every penny.

Turek didn't have much choice - a second rate goalie would get about the same on any team.

Altezza
07-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Holy crap, tha't's quite the voluntary paycut...he must really like it here.

accordboi_02
07-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Iginla is worth every penny.

Turek didn't have much choice - a second rate goalie would get about the same on any team.

Yes he did have a choice. He could have sat on his fat contract until it was up. Even if he was traded or bought out, he would have earned all of the money due him.

Instead, he elected to stay in a place he likes for a very significant pay cut. This is a pure class move, not one done by Turek out of necessity for himself.

JordanLotoski
07-01-2004, 12:07 AM
man how can one live in 1.5 mill a year...blows my mind

tulit
07-01-2004, 12:20 AM
wtf? Theres no way anyone would throw away 7 million for no reason.

There must be more to this....

Weapon_R
07-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

Yes he did have a choice. He could have sat on his fat contract until it was up. Even if he was traded or bought out, he would have earned all of the money due him.

Instead, he elected to stay in a place he likes for a very significant pay cut. This is a pure class move, not one done by Turek out of necessity for himself.

Damn, I didn't know he was able to do that. In that case, pure :thumbsup:

sexualbanana
07-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Think of it this way. Even if he didn't like Calgary, and wanted to move, there was no team in the league willing to pay his contract. Especially with the way he has played. By taking the paycut, he's made himself much more affordable to other teams looking for a trade.

buh_buh
07-01-2004, 01:02 AM
holy shit that is awesome. Now maybe Calgary can use that money to resign Conroy or some other free agent.

A_3
07-01-2004, 01:03 AM
good for Turek... i hope we can sign Conroy with the extra cash and maybe get another solid player... once again Sutter proves he is a hero!!!!

lam-boy
07-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Class, Pure class. I've heard of taking paycuts to win. But this guy did it cause He liked this city..either that or Simon and Oliwa had some "say" in this :rofl:

:thumbsup: to you Turek!

lam-boy
07-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
holy shit that is awesome. Now maybe Calgary can use that money to resign Conroy or some other free agent.

Originally posted by A_3
good for Turek... i hope we can sign Conroy with the extra cash and maybe get another solid player... once again Sutter proves he is a hero!!!!

As for Conroy, he wants to go back home in New York..
if he stays then :thumbsup: but if he goes I won't hate the guy. He's pretty old now, hes probably just trying to squeeze as much as he can before he retires. Thanks and Good luck with whatever the future holds for you Conroy! (in any NHL Jersey)

And I'd rather have more of a 1st liner centre, Conroy has been a 3rd Line Checking center all hsi life until he came into Calgary. Its Iginla that sparked up Conroy's points..so yeah..just my 2cents

sexualbanana
07-01-2004, 01:13 AM
From what I've heard Simon and Oliwa really wants to stay. In fact, I've also heard Oliwa wants to retire here.

Conroy has said he wants to stay with Calgary. But Conroy will leave if it means his leaving gives Calgary enough money to pay for Iggy.

lam-boy
07-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
From what I've heard Simon and Oliwa really wants to stay. In fact, I've also heard Oliwa wants to retire here.

Conroy has said he wants to stay with Calgary. But Conroy will leave if it means his leaving gives Calgary enough money to pay for Iggy.

I have a very big feeling that Simon will be in the line-up next year. Sutter really likes this guy, and Simon has family and friends here so it makes it that much better.

Hope Oliwa stays too. Maybe take a pay of around 4-500k a year. Hes a fan favorite, morale booster in the locker room and not to mention, guy has some pretty soft hands, he can shoot some nice shots.

sexualbanana
07-01-2004, 01:19 AM
I would love to see Conroy stay. I'm sure the local media would love to see him stay too. He's a great rep for the team and he's shown he still has the ability to play.

He may have been a 3rd line center his entire career, but when he came to Calgary, the team needed him to be their top center. He's shown he can play at that level. Especially if you look at Game 6 against the Sharks.

lam-boy
07-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I would love to see Conroy stay. I'm sure the local media would love to see him stay too. He's a great rep for the team and he's shown he still has the ability to play.

He may have been a 3rd line center his entire career, but when he came to Calgary, the team needed him to be their top center. He's shown he can play at that level. Especially if you look at Game 6 against the Sharks.

I agree with you there, but I can garantee you that if you bring in a true first line centre Iginlas numbers will be even higher.

the onyl drawback of Conroy is that he doesn't shoot enough and if he chooses to pass it will be 80% of the it will be to Iginla. most teams will notice this and double team Iggy.

sexualbanana
07-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by lam-boy

I agree with you there, but I can garantee you that if you bring in a true first line centre Iginlas numbers will be even higher.

the onyl drawback of Conroy is that he doesn't shoot enough and if he chooses to pass it will be 80% of the it will be to Iginla. most teams will notice this and double team Iggy.

I think it just goes to show how well he and Iggy get along. It's seems pretty obvious that Conroy has a lot of trust in Iggy to finish, and he wants Iggy to win the scoring trophy. He does pass too much, and he has admitted it himself. But he's also caught many goalies and D-men off-guard and roofed it instead of passing.

I think Conroy just needs to realize that having himself as a legitimate scoring threat, it'll free up Iggy more.

buh_buh
07-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Maybe take a pay of around 4-500k a year. Oliwa's already making somewhere around $550k a year, and I doubt he would be taking a paycut. If anything he should be playing for the same as what he made last year.

lam-boy
07-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Oliwa's already making somewhere around $550k a year, and I doubt he would be taking a paycut. If anything he should be playing for the same as what he made last year.

ahh we're poor, everyone should take a paycut and give the money to me..haha.

I just hope we have some money left over.

everyone is gonna be expecting a raise..:(

accordboi_02
07-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Here's the link to the Turek deal:

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=c1f35de4-a4aa-488b-8b2d-546991687586

max_boost
07-01-2004, 02:44 AM
Don't worry about next year, there won't be a season:D
I don't know exactly what goes through the mind of a professional hockey player who already has millions in the bank. None of us can really relate:dunno: Is it pride to get paid more than the next guy? Is it important to have $10million U.S instead of $5million U.S? WTF is the difference?:rofl:

Still, very classy of Turek! Although he didn't do much on the ice, he contributes a lot to charitable functions in the city.

Oh yah, say bye to Conroy. Atlanta seems like a good fit, the Flames alumni welcomes him there. :D

Go Flames Go!

CKY
07-01-2004, 04:47 AM
good for turek, true class, props to him, he didn't even complain during the playoffs but instead he was working just as hard for every pratice, true gentleman :thumbsup: and as of conroy, i think if hes asking for too much then we should let him go, we need a scoring (perferrably power) centreman then we'd have a 1st with abilities to score and hit like a checking line

Gonthro
07-01-2004, 08:13 AM
i'd take 1.5 mil a year for warming the bench

davidI
07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Oliwa's already making somewhere around $550k a year, and I doubt he would be taking a paycut. If anything he should be playing for the same as what he made last year.

Oliwa made 500k last year. I think we should get rid of McAmmond at 1.5 but I don't think we should through it Conroys way. Conroy wants to test the market so let him. Kipper only made $880 000 last year so he obviousy is in need of a nice raise. Even Regehr is pretty far down the list at 1.25 and he's done a lot for us.

no_joke
07-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
Turek renegotiated his contract, and that Turek WANTS to stay here in Calgary...
yr 1 - 1.5
yr 2 - 1.65
yr 3 - 1.75

Wow, I hope everyone can stop bashing him now. During the whole playoff run, he did show what a team guy he was and this definitely solidifies it. At this price he does look alot more attractive for a trade but I hope he stays here. Turek will probably never be a starting goaltender for the Flames but he makes for a solid backup. :D I bet the NHLPA is gonna love this...

As for Conroy, I say let him test free agency. This is his first time being an UFA and he just wants to see what he's worth around the league. I have confidence that he's gonna be back in the red and black.

lam-boy
07-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Oliwa made 500k last year. I think we should get rid of McAmmond at 1.5 but I don't think we should through it Conroys way. Conroy wants to test the market so let him. Kipper only made $880 000 last year so he obviousy is in need of a nice raise. Even Regehr is pretty far down the list at 1.25 and he's done a lot for us.

I think Mcammond is done..his back isn't gonna hold up anymore.

Reggie is locked up for 4-5 years so hes good to go!

lam-boy
07-02-2004, 01:46 AM
I have a feeling Conroy will be in Atlanta very soon..

just a prediction.

CKY
07-03-2004, 12:26 AM
I have a feeling Conroy will be in Atlanta very soon..

just a prediction.

if there is a seaon next year, i think conroy is gonna get more and more fragile.

and though some of you will most likely disagree / bash me for this, but i think kipper will not perform as well next year which ever team he signs with, if you guys didn't notice he was shakey IMO since game 6 vs san jose

eb0i
07-03-2004, 02:50 AM
hopefully reinprect comes back for the next season.....could he not be a good 1st line center?

davidI
07-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by CKY

if there is a seaon next year, i think conroy is gonna get more and more fragile.

and though some of you will most likely disagree / bash me for this, but i think kipper will not perform as well next year which ever team he signs with, if you guys didn't notice he was shakey IMO since game 6 vs san jose

You can't say a guy is going to be bad from now on because he was bad in one series.

I agree he may not be as good as he was this year but that is to be expected. Athletes always go hot / cold and this year Calgary had the momentum which kept everyone warm - hot through the playoffs.

sexualbanana
07-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CKY

I don't think he'll play as good, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as he doesn't pull a Jim Carrey or Giguere, I'll be happy. If he can play 80% of the way he played in the playoffs, it'll definitely help the team.

finboy
07-03-2004, 01:07 PM
classy move, not if they would just keep simon and oliwa

lam-boy
07-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Adam> Simon signed with the Flames yesterday.

Fowards

SGS/Reinprect/Iginla
Sappy/Lombardi/Kobasew
Neimo/Nilson/Donovan
SG/Yelle/Clark

Oliwa, Loyns, Ritchie - Spares

SGS= Saprykin, Gelinas and Simon. Knowing Sutter he will mix the line-ups a bit.
SG = Gelinas and Simon.

I'm a bit questionable about Clark...I could see him going elsewhere.

And there won't be much of a diffrence in lines 2-4 again knowing Sutter and his style the 3 bottom lines will have equal shifts with the first line having just a bit more. That way they don't tire out as fast.

I could also see Ritchie Flames newest aquistion making some apperences this year.

Defence

Regehr - Leopold
Warrener - Gauthier
Ference - Lydman
Phanuef

Phanuef will make apperences here and there as a 7th D-man. Slowly but surely let him appear in the games and let him experience it. We know he has skill, but will he be able to bring it up to the NHL level. I don't really see Gauthier or Lydman being traded unless Phanuef really shows how good of a player he is. Even then I'd still kinda question a movement of D-man.

Goalies

Kiprusoff
Turek

I don't see Kipper losing a step at all. David Marcioux (Sp?) has really helped Kipper and Turek . I see both of them stepping up their games and keeping it up.

Break outs
- Saprykin, Lombardi, Kobasew. I have high hopes for these guys. They are the future of the Flames imo. I can see - Sappy [40-45 Pts] Lombardi [35-40 pts] Kobasew [30-35 Pts] well Lombardi..I just hope he can keep up his pts total, being a rookie he did pretty well with 29 pts.
I am very positive that Kobasew will come into his own..

- Nilson I can see this guy scoring alot more pts. 24 last year. I give him a 40pt season.

I honestly think with Rienprect coming back it will help the Flames alot on pp. hes a good playmaker. Just hope everything keeps well and everyone "gels" with everyone and knows how they work making everyline potent.

Go Flames Go!!!

CKY
07-03-2004, 03:23 PM
we have quite a few good left wingers, so thats not a concern, but i don't think rheinprect will be able to do what conroy has with iggy

lam-boy
07-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by CKY
we have quite a few good left wingers, so thats not a concern, but i don't think rheinprect will be able to do what conroy has with iggy

he'll do better :angel:

You heard it here. I see Conroy off to Atlanta.

davidI
07-03-2004, 04:04 PM
I see Conroy off to New York. He seems to love his home town so I can see them picking him up.

finboy
07-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Adam> Simon signed with the Flames yesterday.

Fowards

SGS/Reinprect/Iginla
Sappy/Lombardi/Kobasew
Neimo/Nilson/Donovan
SG/Yelle/Clark

Oliwa, Loyns, Ritchie - Spares

SGS= Saprykin, Gelinas and Simon. Knowing Sutter he will mix the line-ups a bit.
SG = Gelinas and Simon.

I'm a bit questionable about Clark...I could see him going elsewhere.

And there won't be much of a diffrence in lines 2-4 again knowing Sutter and his style the 3 bottom lines will have equal shifts with the first line having just a bit more. That way they don't tire out as fast.

I could also see Ritchie Flames newest aquistion making some apperences this year.

Defence

Regehr - Leopold
Warrener - Gauthier
Ference - Lydman
Phanuef

Phanuef will make apperences here and there as a 7th D-man. Slowly but surely let him appear in the games and let him experience it. We know he has skill, but will he be able to bring it up to the NHL level. I don't really see Gauthier or Lydman being traded unless Phanuef really shows how good of a player he is. Even then I'd still kinda question a movement of D-man.

Goalies

Kiprusoff
Turek

I don't see Kipper losing a step at all. David Marcioux (Sp?) has really helped Kipper and Turek . I see both of them stepping up their games and keeping it up.

Break outs
- Saprykin, Lombardi, Kobasew. I have high hopes for these guys. They are the future of the Flames imo. I can see - Sappy [40-45 Pts] Lombardi [35-40 pts] Kobasew [30-35 Pts] well Lombardi..I just hope he can keep up his pts total, being a rookie he did pretty well with 29 pts.
I am very positive that Kobasew will come into his own..

- Nilson I can see this guy scoring alot more pts. 24 last year. I give him a 40pt season.

I honestly think with Rienprect coming back it will help the Flames alot on pp. hes a good playmaker. Just hope everything keeps well and everyone "gels" with everyone and knows how they work making everyline potent.

Go Flames Go!!!

sounds like it'll be a good season :D

PGTze
07-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Good for Turek, but the NHLPA can't be too happy with him doing this with the looming barganing talks ahead

dezmarez
07-05-2004, 04:32 PM
if all this is true then it will be amazing cause then we can give iginla tons of money and he will stay

sabad66
07-05-2004, 05:47 PM
this is great for the team, we can now give kipprusoff a much deserved raise:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vtecpower
07-05-2004, 06:44 PM
great kipprusoff will get what he deserved:clap:

lam-boy
07-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by PGTze
Good for Turek, but the NHLPA can't be too happy with him doing this with the looming barganing talks ahead

ahaha it would be funny ifall our team took pay cuts
then the league would look at us and wonder.
why? cause flames rule!

huss
07-07-2004, 12:51 AM
yea definate good thing