PDA

View Full Version : idle breakin in?

RickDaTuner
10-28-2002, 03:04 AM
what do you guys think bout breaking in a car at idle?

i mean like leaving the car turned on for like the whole day or when ever it needs gas, instead of putting KMs on it

will this do anything ?

when i used to work at nissan i would leave car right of the truck running for like 2-3 hours and i was just wondering if this would seat the piston rings better than they would by driving the car on the road

the only thing i see is the tranny not being broken in right away, but it shouldnt raise any concerns anyway

comments

szw
10-28-2002, 03:56 AM
Well my nissan specifically said to vary the RPM's....and do not stay at a constant RPM for long periods of time...
sooooo..........

boi-alien
10-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by szw
Well my nissan specifically said to vary the RPM's....and do not stay at a constant RPM for long periods of time...
sooooo..........

ditto, that's what i've been told all my life

GTS Jeff
10-28-2002, 11:14 AM
i sure as hell wouldnt break a car in that way!

Blue Devil 2
10-28-2002, 11:19 AM
why not just break it in like your supposed to?

szw
10-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Shit which nissan dealership did you work for, and how long ago? haha jk

Illusionsir
10-28-2002, 12:32 PM
the best thing to do is have load on the motor. thats the reason the dealerships say to vary the RPM...

2K255HP
10-28-2002, 01:06 PM
plus u need to get oil moving thru mechanical parts of the engine and the fastest way to do that is by driving it

i ususally idle my car for 30 sec - 1 min as a warmup in the mornings and dun go over 3000rpm till the oils all nice and warmed up

I really think leaving a car at idle is more damaging then possibly not breakin in the car properly :dunno:

RickDaTuner
10-28-2002, 06:48 PM
well i never left the cars like that by choice, sometimes i would be told to do it, for what reason i dont know,

i agree that the bestw ay to break in a car is to do i tnormally but was just curios if it could be done this way

well you guys did bring up some points that i was forgetting

thanks for the help