PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Boat?

GSR Zero
07-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey, just wondering how many people on here take part in Dragon Boat racing. For those who haven't tried, you should. It's great excercise in a team environment. And really anyone can be successful at it.

OK_Computer
07-02-2004, 01:39 PM
can ya explain further as to what it involves?

4G63Power
07-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
Hey, just wondering how many people on here take part in Dragon Boat racing. For those who haven't tried, you should. It's great excercise in a team environment. And really anyone can be successful at it.

I hear yah. The endurance required from your shoulders and back is nuts.

GSR Zero
07-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by OK_Computer
can ya explain further as to what it involves?

Basically there are 22 people in a Dragon Boat. 20 paddlers who sit 2 abreast making 10 rows facing forward. One person sits at the front of the boat facing the paddlers and one person stands in the back to steer. Think of it as drag racing in a boat. Usually there are 6 boats in a race. First boat to finish the 500m race moves on. Here's a pic:

Dirty_SOHC
07-02-2004, 02:16 PM
I've done it a couple years ago with the company. It was brutal haha never again...Well we lost every race:P

GSR Zero
07-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
I've done it a couple years ago with the company. It was brutal haha never again...Well we lost every race:P

Oh ya? What team was that with? You should come back. The new boats are a lot faster than the old ones. Instead of racing for 3mins or more, you are going for about 2min.

CLiVE
07-02-2004, 02:19 PM
I have for the past 7 or 8 years. My wife and I formed our own team this year.
Great fun! 500m drag race in a boat with 22 ppl.

Dirty_SOHC
07-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Oh ya? What team was that with? You should come back. The new boats are a lot faster than the old ones. Instead of racing for 3mins or more, you are going for about 2min.

The team was called Bell buoys for Bell West in 2002. Its to late for me to enter since training has started a few months ago

Have fun though:)

GSR Zero
07-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

That's awesome. Look forward to seeing you on race day. What's your team name? I'm hoping you are racing in Calgary.

Melinda
07-02-2004, 10:04 PM
I did it a few years ago as well, it was awesome fun! I'd do it again definately :)

SwitchBlade
07-03-2004, 01:34 PM
beyond.ca team haha :D we can work on a nitrous oxide propulsion system, total domination haha jk. i think it would be fun to do

lint
07-03-2004, 05:56 PM

I didn't know you Dragonboated! Lemme know if need people or have any open spots.

Slowfire
07-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,

I'll just add that if there is anyone in the Edmonton area who is interested check out the EDBRC (http://www.edmontondragonboat.com/2004/main.htm) for more info on the sport, our club, and the upcoming Edmonton festival.

Cheers

GSR Zero
07-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Slowfire
Hey guys,

I'll just add that if there is anyone in the Edmonton area who is interested check out the EDBRC (http://www.edmontondragonboat.com/2004/main.htm) for more info on the sport, our club, and the upcoming Edmonton festival.

Cheers

Hey, just wondering. Are you guys coming down this year to Calgary? I've heard that you weren't You guys are a blast to race again. And by far, you have the best team chant!

Slowfire
07-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Well Para Huti Huti was just down in Lethbridge about a month back. We took second place in the "A" Division just half a second back from Top Made Dragoneer's (sp?). They owed us that after we beat them in Edmonton last year :D

We have one rec co-ed team that will be going down to represent the club this year under the name EDBRC Freakin' Rats. Unfortunately PHH won't be down this year, due mainly to our decision to paddle Victoria in August, and then go back for a second showing at Toronto's Great White North Festival in September.

What team do you paddle with GSR? Let me know if you are ever up in Edmonton and looking to come out for a spin in one of our 616's... not quite as light and fancy as those Dynasty boats I believe you use down there ;) . And as always we're more than willing to perform the Haka war chant to get the energy going.

GSR Zero
07-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Hey Slowfire,

I'm with the Raging Dragons here in Calgary. We placed second behind your River Rats last year in Calgary in Div B. Great race. That's cool that you have a team coming down. We're not sending a team this year to Edmonton but possibly next year. Heh, I used to paddle in the 6-16's a few years back before we got the Dynasty Boats. Good solid boat, but definitely a lot more effort to get it going than the Dynasty's

Hey are you guys headed to Kelowna in September? We'll be there. You might have caught us last year. A bunch of guys walking towards the beach with a ghetto blaster blaring C&C Music Factory. :thumbsup:

GSR

CLiVE
07-28-2004, 09:01 AM

That's awesome. Look forward to seeing you on race day. What's your team name? I'm hoping you are racing in Calgary.

Reservoir Dogs. Look for the bright orange shirts.

GSR Zero
07-28-2004, 10:14 AM

Nice. See you on race day then. Looks like its going to be a small festival (again) Should be fun with the teams that we have though. We'll be in all black - Raging Dragons.

4G63Power
07-28-2004, 11:11 AM

Do you practice on Wednesday's?

CLiVE
07-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 4G63Power

Do you practice on Wednesday's?

Saturdays.

CLiVE
07-28-2004, 11:40 AM

Nice. See you on race day then. Looks like its going to be a small festival (again) Should be fun with the teams that we have though. We'll be in all black - Raging Dragons.

This is our first year. I was on the Filipino Students' Association team previous years.

Dirty_SOHC
07-28-2004, 12:09 PM
When's race day this year?

4G63Power
07-28-2004, 12:09 PM

Saturdays.

Oh ok...reason i asked was that on wednesdays, there is always this team that's decked out in orange.

4G63Power
07-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Whens race day? this year?

Aug 7-8

GSR Zero
07-28-2004, 12:14 PM

Oh ok...reason i asked was that on wednesdays, there is always this team that's decked out in orange.

You're probably talking about Magic Dragons. They always do the orange jerseys.

4G63Power
07-28-2004, 12:18 PM

You're probably talking about Magic Dragons. They always do the orange jerseys.

Ahh yes, that name sounds familiar.

Dirty_SOHC
07-28-2004, 12:24 PM
sorry for all the questions:) whens the race times during aug 7 and 8.

Thnxs:)

4G63Power
07-28-2004, 12:48 PM
sorry for all the questions:) whens the race times during aug 7 and 8.

Thnxs:)

I have yet to receive a schedule for the races...has anyone else?

GSR Zero
07-28-2004, 01:17 PM

I have yet to receive a schedule for the races...has anyone else?

No race schedule for us yet either. But I did manage to sneak a peek at the tentative schedule. We're racing in the first race of the morning, 8:30AM. That is unless things change.

CLiVE
07-28-2004, 01:25 PM
No race schedule here either....:dunno:

T5_X
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
beyond.ca team haha :D we can work on a nitrous oxide propulsion system, total domination haha jk. i think it would be fun to do

I don't think nitrous oxide has the same effect on humans as it does on engines :rofl:

Slowfire
07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey GSR,

Yeah I remember you guys now. Good race indeed last summer. The 616 is heavy, but we need that in the river we paddle in, plus it makes for good training. Our club just purchased a used 616 that's at least another 400lbs heavier than anything we have right now.

We were out in Kelowna last year (awesome party), but we won't be this year. I think that the Raunchy Rodents may go, but that's about as far as I know. Heh, and I do remember seeing your team blaring that music... man that was a fun festival.

GSR Zero
08-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey Slowfire,

Wow, an even heavier 616?!? That's some serious resistance training. So who are the Raunchy Rodents? Part of EDBRC?

Oh by the way, for those racing in Calgary, the schedule is out.

CLiVE
08-06-2004, 10:36 AM
No race schedule here either....:dunno:

Saturday morning race schedule has been released.

mo_virgin
08-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Im with topmade Water Dragons (heat 4)... who is everyone else with?

CLiVE
08-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
Im with topmade Dragoneers (heat 4)... who is everyone else with?

Reservoir dogs (heat 4).....

4G63Power
08-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Golden Dragons Fire (heat 2)

mo_virgin
08-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Reservoir dogs (heat 4).....

Hahaha... thats a sweet name. Hows your team this year?

CLiVE
08-06-2004, 11:11 AM

Hahaha... thats a sweet name. Hows your team this year?

A lot of experienced paddlers, steers is awesome....but it is our first year all together as a "new" team.

Looks like a pretty stong team, but attendance at practices has been a problem. Also we have a few injuries....:(

Should be a good weekend. I think we'll do fine...

How's your team this year...?

CLiVE
08-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Team Managers/Captains Meeting is tonight at 6:30pm.

GSR Zero
08-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Raging Dragons in Heat #1, or as the festival spells it "Raging Draongs" :thumbsdow

mo_virgin
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM

A lot of experienced paddlers, steers is awesome....but it is our first year all together as a "new" team.

Looks like a pretty stong team, but attendance at practices has been a problem. Also we have a few injuries....:(

Should be a good weekend. I think we'll do fine...

How's your team this year...?

Ok i think... everybody on my team is on a high and thinks we're awsome, but im convinced we suck. We have had alot of good practices though, so that chould help iron some kinks out.

Slowfire
08-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey GSR,

Yeah an even heavier 616... with lead inserts no doubt :eek:

So the team that is going down is the "Freakin' Rats", a throw together team from the EDBRC. There wasn't enough support for any one whole team to go, so this is a last minute group that has had a few practices. They should have fun though.

Well best of luck to all that participate!
:)

Melinda
08-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Hey what time does everything start tomorrow (Aug 8) I would like to come down and watch, but the website doesnt say what time everything starts :dunno:

Melinda
08-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Well we went down for some of the finals today, fun day except for the weather :) Here are a few of the pics I took :)

Melinda
08-09-2004, 12:15 AM

You may not be able to see it from here, but the yellow team is the A-Channel team and the guy sitting at the drum is Darr the weather man :)

Melinda

Melinda

Melinda
08-09-2004, 12:16 AM

mo_virgin
08-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Nice Pictures... what location are you taking them from?

GSR Zero
08-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Hey Melinda, great pics. Looks like you got the Banker's Cup Race. Great weekend of racing. Too bad the weather was absolutely awful. At some points, I could see my breath! :thumbsdow Congratulations to all who took home medals. Our team took home Gold in Division B. So who's heading to Kelowna?

Melinda
08-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Nice Pictures... what location are you taking them from?
2 different spots...one was on the other side of the rowing club from where the dock was and the other was almost beside kid's land right at the finish line

CLiVE
08-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

No medal, but it was a fun weekend :thumbsup: See y'all next year....

4G63Power
08-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah we will be combining our teams to send one out to Kelowna...don't plan on winning anything, just for fun.

As for the Calgary festival, it was pretty good, however after the first heats it got a little disorganized and nobody had a clue roughly when they were racing. Also the point system had some flaws, we kept racing the top seeded teams for the festival, so we kept coming in 2nd or 3rd. So when you added our points we only qualifyed for the C final. Nonetheless, once that sun came out it made for a good weekend.