PDA

View Full Version : Locked Keys in Car

max_boost
10-28-2002, 12:22 PM
So it finally happened to me, whatever happened to BMWs with a safety feature where you can't lock your keys in your car with it running? Well for some weird reason today, that safety feature didn't work!

I have Compustar alarm, remote started my car, opened my doors, put the key in, closed the doors, scraped my windshields and I hear a click, WTF! My doors locked! WTF!!

All my spare keys are in my backpack, WTF! So waiting for a locksmith, 2-3 hours, my car is running, looks like its homework time!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

infamous
10-28-2002, 12:23 PM
hmmm...my neighbour is a locksmith...would you like me to call him and see if he can make it there quicker??

max_boost
10-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks infamous, I have class at 4pm so I could hang around at my house for a bit

This is so weird, its the first time EVER that the compustar and my car did this to me, I've done what I did today a million times without it having locked on me, why did it choose to lock on me today?:dunno: :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2002, 12:27 PM
dude that sucks.....hopefull yht elocksmith wont tear the sit our of your weatherstriping

2K255HP
10-28-2002, 01:02 PM
ohhh thats horrible
the doors on my maxima lol lock on me sometimes
once i was washing it and then click
luckily the keys weren't in the car

still i dun think its a good idea to have u're car idling for that long of a time :dunno:

sml
10-28-2002, 01:13 PM
i didnt think that was possible with the CompuStar... Never heard of that happening before.

max_boost
10-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sml
i didnt think that was possible with the CompuStar... Never heard of that happening before.

EXACTLY

That is why this is so freaking weird!

Your car doors are not suppose to lock with the door open and even if you get out of your car and shut the door, the only way for it to lock is if someone locked the doors from the inside of the car! Maybe there is a ghost inside my car? :(

szw
10-28-2002, 01:31 PM
I think compustars have a feature that lock the door a certain time after you start the car (ignition ON i think), and unlock the door a certain time after you turn off the car.

Maybe you activated the 'feature' by accident by bumping the remote or something! Anyways it sucks, hopefully you have enough gas in there to last a few hours!!!

Toms-Celica
10-28-2002, 01:33 PM
hahahaha:D

max_boost
10-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Locksmith is on his way! Shouldn't be much longer, I'm keeping a spare key on me at all times from now on, so this shit won't happen again!

Ed the SOHC
10-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Alarms are really fruity in cold weather. I've heard that the older viper alarms were the worst for f***'n up in the winter.

max_boost
10-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Well the locksmith came and opened up my doors, I was always under the impression that they had some magical key to open your doors, but how wrong was I :rofl:

They use some pretty interesting techniques

three.eighteen.
10-28-2002, 02:19 PM
yeah i've wondered how locksmiths get into bmws, cus AMA always asks what kind of car you have and i assume they have a catalogue of which tools open which cars, but i cant see which tool works on my car because the lock nubby thing sinks all the way into the door

szw
10-28-2002, 03:34 PM
How long did it take them to open the door?

I locked the keys in the car at safeway once, asked the manager for a phone and mentioned what happened...he came out with a box of tools and a manual. Looked up the model and year, and there was a diagram showing what to do with what tool!

I asked him where he got it, but he wouldn't tell me. haha

RSeXy
10-28-2002, 03:39 PM
It took like 15mins, it was pretty cool, he had some big plastic strips to squeeze through the side of the drivers side window, and then he had a lil air pump thing to pump and expand the plastic in order to push the door open a bit, then he used a bent hanger to to slide through the crack to push my door locks up......man, I could have done that myself!

G
10-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
So it finally happened to me, whatever happened to BMWs with a safety feature where you can't lock your keys in your car with it running? Well for some weird reason today, that safety feature didn't work!

I have Compustar alarm, remote started my car, opened my doors, put the key in, closed the doors, scraped my windshields and I hear a click, WTF! My doors locked! WTF!!

All my spare keys are in my backpack, WTF! So waiting for a locksmith, 2-3 hours, my car is running, looks like its homework time!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That is why I give my girlfriend a key to my car so if I do lock myself out she can come help me. I also gave my parents the key to my house for the same reason.

szw
10-28-2002, 04:03 PM
I always keep my remote and key separately. I have my car keys on one, my housekey and remote on the other. I had to adopt this system due to numerous instances of locking the keys in the car!

I also lose my keys alot, so this helps also!

Davan
10-28-2002, 04:12 PM
You know, I had some wierd shit happen with my locks too, that never happened before.

I started my car this morning, as was going to run into the house while it warmed up. So I grabbed my spare key fob, and went to lock the doors. When I pressed the lock button, the drivers side door would lock, but then unlock right away. I pressed the button about four times, each time it would lock, then unlock. So finally I just said fuck it, and manually pressed the lock. :dunno:

Dope Dealer
10-28-2002, 05:18 PM
I know how to get into cars when you lock them (Power locks only), but I guess the Locksmith helped ya out ;)

Still haven't masterd non-power lock cars yet. Haha. It's rather easy to get into any locked car that is power. Kinda scary.

Davetronz
10-28-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by GSpot

That is why I give my girlfriend a key to my car so if I do lock myself out she can come help me.
:werd:
Me too, spare house key as well...

Zephyr
10-28-2002, 06:00 PM
i never had my BMW lock itself.....i wish it did so my digi cam wouldn't have been stolen...

bksze
10-28-2002, 06:19 PM
hey dude,i think the reason it locked was because of your compustar alarm. I don't know if you have the feature or not but I remember when I had my compustar alarm, as soon as I got into the car and put the ebrake down, the car would automatically lock itself, as soon as the ebrake was up, the car would automatically unlock itself. Now, I'm assuming that because your's is manual, it doesn't need a ground to trigger the lock feature, thus once your key is in there running, then I'm assuming that it's treating as if you yourself turned the car on and auto locked the doors. Just a thought, maybe next time remote start your car, don't put the key in the ignition and brush off the snow as it's warming up. Then when you get to drive away, put the key in and leave.

HRD2PLZ
10-28-2002, 09:24 PM
My compustar locks the doors and rearms itself if I leave it running too long (I think 10 or 15 minutes). But, if I unlock it then put the keys in the ignition and turn it to "on" its fine. Maybe just as a precaution I'll keep another key or remote with me.

Stratus_Power
10-28-2002, 09:26 PM
i think his BMW is an Auto

max_boost
10-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Yah my BMW is auto, its so freaking weird, and remember, the car automatically locked itself after i got out of my car and shut the door, its not suppose to do that!

the only way you can lock your doors with the car running is locking it from the inside or from the outside with a key.......

anyway, i had a compustar on my prelude which was 5 speed so I know what you guys are talking about

HRD2PLZ
10-28-2002, 09:41 PM
His bimmer is auto. My car doesn't lock/unlock when the e-brake is on. Max_boost and I (as well as a few others) went in on a group buy and had all our compustars installed at Auto Dream.

I haven't had anymore problems with mine though Sam, maybe its the "operator" thats causing problems with yours? :rofl: ;) j/k

CRXguy
10-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Weird shit. Never had it happened to me before.

I found a different shop that charges for less than what we got from that "groupbuy." If anyone else is interested, let me know as I'm getting another Compustar soon.:)

sml
10-29-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by szw
I think compustars have a feature that lock the door a certain time after you start the car (ignition ON i think), and unlock the door a certain time after you turn off the car.

Maybe you activated the 'feature' by accident by bumping the remote or something! Anyways it sucks, hopefully you have enough gas in there to last a few hours!!! \

Nono... if that's the case, that means if you're driving around in the car and all of a sudden the doors lock??? Never happened to me before so that can't be a "feature" of the system.

sml
10-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Weird shit. Never had it happened to me before.

I found a different shop that charges for less than what we got from that "groupbuy." If anyone else is interested, let me know as I'm getting another Compustar soon.:)

Hey CRXguy, I'm looking for a friend... hook me up too! :D

max_boost
10-29-2002, 11:27 AM
Hey I'm interested in another compustar, let me know the prices......the question is, do they do good work?

szw
10-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sml
\

Nono... if that's the case, that means if you're driving around in the car and all of a sudden the doors lock??? Never happened to me before so that can't be a "feature" of the system.

Its a feature that has to be selected. Not sure if the compustar has it, but most basic car alarms over $100 have them. Its not that great of a 'feature'.

<shameless plug>
if you guys need an alarm, look up my thread in the FORSALE forum...its an Ungo 2way remote starter/alarm...its like compustar but better :) made by clarion...
</shameless plug>

CRXguy
10-29-2002, 06:09 PM
max: It looks good to me. My aunt got it for her P5 and so far it hasn't done any weird shit.

I'll PM you guys once I meet this guy in person.

RSeXy
10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
i need a remote starter! i'm sick of running out in the morning with my hair in curlers to start up my car. :banghead: