PDA

View Full Version : highways tickets?

donz
07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
My question is do RCMP mail out speeding tickets? I think I was doing like 110-115 ish in k country, which is 90. I saw a RCMP pull out in front of me, but it turned the other way. I was like phew, hat was close, but like a minute later, I see that the RCMP had made a U turn, and was catching up to me. What was weird was it then turnd away. I was wondering if the RCMP could have cought me on radar, then came back to get a shot at my plate? Should I be expecting a ticket in the mail? Ohh It was laing a turn in the road, so does radar still work? thanks

hjr
07-04-2004, 03:47 PM
its possible that they will mail you one, but you wont have demerits on it if they do as they didnt confirm you were the driver. I wouldnt worry about it though, i would say you got of very lucky. 25km over is a big ticket.

ryder_23
07-04-2004, 03:47 PM
^
if you didnt get pulled over your fine....

He might of shot you with moving radar, but unless you got pulled over, you should be ok...

donz
07-04-2004, 04:00 PM
how sure are you guys on this? it's not like I have a lot of extra cash laying around... I hope I got lucky, No more speeding for me...

sillyd
07-04-2004, 07:51 PM
You didn't get a ticket, don't worry about it

StupidWade
07-04-2004, 11:34 PM
The same thing happened to me around Drumheller. Cop rode my bumper for about two minutes, then slowed down, made a u-turn and took off the other direction. I think he was probably just checking my plate number in his computer. I'm sure you won't get a ticket in the mail.

Skylinelover
07-04-2004, 11:38 PM
He couldn't of taking radar becvuase then he would of had to look back at you and radar doesn't work unless the car is parked orelse it will be off. So don't worry.

Idratherbsidewayz
07-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover
He couldn't of taking radar becvuase then he would of had to look back at you and radar doesn't work unless the car is parked orelse it will be off. So don't worry.

The RCMP has incar radar. Just sits on the dash. It works while moving...

custommx
07-05-2004, 12:11 AM
he probably just noticed you were driving fast, but didn't get you on radar, so then tried to catch you to get you on radar... but i'm assuming you would have been slowed down by then.your fine
BTW: DO NOT get a ticket in kanaskis or any part of the national park it is next to impossible to fight them, just because the amount of wildlife crossing the road and being hit

colinderksen
07-06-2004, 08:39 PM
PhotoRadar on the highway is illegal. They have to pull you over to give you a speeding ticket out of city/town limits on the highway.

joegrang
07-07-2004, 09:24 AM
I got pulled over for one in Didsbury does anyone know if I'll have to go to that local court to see if the judge can drop my demerits or can I do it in calgary. and find a justice there to drop my demerits I was going 19 over the limit..

biggie_82
07-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Relax Don, you probably didn't get a ticket. If you did, look on the bright side since there won't be any demerits involved.

nj2Type-S
07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
i hope there's no photoradar in highways....i was goin 210 km/h from edmonton....never again though lol

inawiJ
07-09-2004, 02:46 AM
radars dont work unless its stopped it uses that doppler effect to work or something so it has to be stopped they can only assume how fast u were goin so they would have pulled u over so dun worry about it

Khyron
07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Wtf.

Radar works fine with both vehicles in motion.

Laser needs to be stationary on a tripod or braced on a window.

Alberta RCMP don't use photo radar.

Khyron

NEO
07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Wtf.

Radar works fine with both vehicles in motion.

Laser needs to be stationary on a tripod or braced on a window.

Alberta RCMP don't use photo radar.

Khyron

:werd: I'm with you on this one... I got a ticket by radar coasting down a hill just out side of Radium and the cop was NOT stopped he was comming up the hill.

And why would he take a picture of your plate he could have just pulled you over.

Relax your not going to get a ticket in the mail, I've never heard of someone getting a ticket in the mail from the RCMP.

mroseneder
07-09-2004, 02:18 PM
There are a few types of radar/laser.

The RCMP use a moving radar system which calculates an opposing vehicles speed in relation to the police cruiser. It is mounted on the dash and rear deck. It can calculate vehicle speeds from line-of-sight distance while stationary or moving.

City police use stationary radar (in Calgary at least) and none of their vehicles are equipped with moving radar. They also use laser radar (which again is stationary).

And yes, the RCMP will mail you a ticket if they clock your speed and don't stop you. I know people who have received stunting tickets in the mail, as well as seatbelt violations. It wont include demerits because they cant prove you as the driver.

Here's a tidbit though: You can get a ticket based solely on an accurate estimation of vehicle speed by a police officer provided that they police officer can prove that he was sufficiently trained on estimating vehicle speed.

donz
07-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I have read that RCMP have moving radar. However I don't think he got me, if he had, he would have just pulled me over as he was like a car behind me, he could have easily cought up right? However I don't know about seatbelt violations, in the mail. car you get a accurate look when both cars are moving? they would have to be pretty close to do that, and why wouldn't they pull them over?