PDA

View Full Version : out of province speeding ticket

GoChris
07-04-2004, 10:27 PM
If I get a speeding ticket in BC, does it...matter? Will it up show up on my alberta license or insurance or anything at all?

I mean I know if I go back to BC it will still show up but I hear they dont do much just not let you renew anything until all fines are paid off, which obviously would not affect me.

Curious.

hjr
07-04-2004, 10:33 PM
no, demerits dont transfer between ab and bc. you should pay it though if you ever plan on going back.

GoChris
07-04-2004, 10:37 PM
what would happen if i didnt...and i ever got stopped again?

hjr
07-04-2004, 10:39 PM
could possibly tow the car i think.

but i mean you did break the law, so count yourself lucky that its only a fine and your insurance wont go up.

GoChris
07-04-2004, 10:44 PM
true, just wish they would go 100 and not 90 there

dieselpower91
07-04-2004, 11:18 PM
I got a speeding ticket in Saskatchewan and it's on my record, demerits and all!:(

I guess BC is different?:dunno:

SRH
07-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Yep, I got a speeding ticket in Ontario and it's on my record, including demerits as well...yay.

keroppi
07-05-2004, 10:21 PM
I got an Ontario ticket many many years and it didn't show up in my record. After ignoring serval mails from them, they didn't bother me anymore :poosie:
But this was so many years ago and not sure if the computer system/law has changed by now

Z_Fan
07-05-2004, 10:38 PM
I thought the systems were supposed to be 'linked' together now? Is B.C. not participating in this? Hmmm, I'll see if I can find something about this on the web. Would be handy to know...

redexa
07-07-2004, 02:53 AM
how bout let's say a parking ticket... like from the city?

bighead2267
07-08-2004, 11:15 AM
they link the system now? i thought u don't get record from out of province? ok, i'm not gonna drive 160 even i pass the A.B border then

GoChris
07-08-2004, 11:29 AM
no one knows for sure its linked that has posted here so far. speculation, cause i ask around and more peeps say demerits dont transfer over, maybe i will ask a cop.

bspot
07-08-2004, 11:39 AM
I got 2 tickets in BC last summer (paid them both) and nothing showed up for my insurance renewal this spring, although I did hear a bunch of rumors of the systems being linked up, but I thought for sure my tickets would have shown up on my record.

And you deffinately want to pay them because best case is they ask you to follow them back to whatever town they are based out of and pay which would be a giant pain in the ass and not worth it.

mroseneder
07-08-2004, 04:57 PM
For the record, based on the law:

If you get a speeding ticket out of province and don't pay it, it eventually turns in to what cops lovingly refer to as a "Pay or stay warrant." Definately not Canada wide, but you can be arrested for it.

Basically, the cops will stop you, run your name and tags, find out you have an unpaid fine, tow and impound the vehicle and arrest you... They'll drag you down to their little cells and you either pay the ticket + interest in full, or you spend however long in jail (based on the sentence associated with not paying the ticket...)

It's in the Highway Traffic Act/Traffic Safety Act in all the provinces.

Shitty way to go over a couple hundred bucks on a ticket...

Mind you, it also depends on what kind of violation it was. (C-Train tickets in Calgary are a royal pain in the ass)

rage2
07-08-2004, 05:02 PM
I've never had out of province tickets show up on my abstract. BC or Saskatchewan. Traffic laws are different across provinces, it would not be fair to penalize you based on different laws. AFAIK, saskatchewan doesn't even have a demerit system. And the demerits over different provinces vary wildly.