PDA

View Full Version : Interesting (Insurance Rates)

G
06-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Integra #1? (http://www.news.kanetix.com/auto_articles_04.htm)

Ben
06-10-2002, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I can see that being accurate!

Davan
06-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Woohoo! My car didn't make the list! :thumbsup: :D

Ben
06-10-2002, 11:42 AM
My dad sees alot of guys come in, looking for a GTI, they have money and want the car, but then they get quoted 400 a month for insurance...

rage2
06-10-2002, 11:56 AM
I know insurance on a Ferrari is a hell of a lot more than Insurance on an Integra =).

Same goes for my VW 944. hehe.

Ben
06-10-2002, 12:20 PM
lol, but alot more people drive Integras, so its an average

GTS Jeff
06-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Benny
My dad sees alot of guys come in, looking for a GTI, they have money and want the car, but then they get quoted 400 a month for insurance... I'll be paying about that much to insure a CRX

Ben
06-10-2002, 02:05 PM
yes, but 400 a mo for a clean record 23-24 year old is insane

Redlyne_mr2
06-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Here's what you integra boys need to keep away those pesky criminals and hooligans!!!
http://myjokemail.com/antitheftdevice.jpg

Ben
06-10-2002, 02:34 PM
THAT IS WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS!!! Take it off...TAKE IT OFF!! hehehehehe:guns: :rofl: :angel: :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
06-10-2002, 02:43 PM
My insurance jumped so much I am contemplating driving uninsured :)..j/k but fuk man it went up so much I can't believe it. I'm gonna sell it and buy a mustang GT - Cheaper probably.

G
06-10-2002, 03:16 PM
I found the sweetest insurance company.

Three months ago my policy was up for renewal with AllState. They jacked up my premiums for my Prelude. They wanted $1750 a year for the Lude. I have a clean driving record no accidents or tickets in the last 5 years. They claim that the Prelude has a rather high claim rate but my guess is that it's due to the fact that AllState is an American company and is trying to make up some money on the crazy amounts they had to pay out for the September 11 event.

My friend directed me to TD banks insurance company, Meloche Monnex. I was a graduate of the U of C so I qualify for their group rates. I am now paying 1200 per year for the exact same coverage. I suggest you guys check Meloche out the number is 269-1112. Say that you are a U of C grad because they don't verify this whatsoever. I now buy my house insurance, Prelude, and G35 insurance from them. If you buy your home insurance from them they will take an additional 10% off your auto insurance. Crazy the the G35 is 15 grand more than the Prelude yet the insurance is a $100 cheaper per year, go figure.

Fat Dave
06-10-2002, 03:18 PM
Yup, Meloche rocks. I use them for all my insurance. :thumbsup:

CRXguy
06-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Take it off...TAKE IT OFF!!

Easy there cowboy!!:D:D

Looks like I'll give that insurance company a call.

Jeff: Is that for full coverage? In any case, yer gettin' raped hardcore!!!:eek:

max_boost
06-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by GSpot

My friend directed me to TD banks insurance company, Meloche Monnex. I was a graduate of the U of C so I qualify for their group rates. I am now paying 1200 per year for the exact same coverage. I suggest you guys check Meloche out the number is 269-1112. Say that you are a U of C grad because they don't verify this whatsoever. I now buy my house insurance, Prelude, and G35 insurance from them. If you buy your home insurance from them they will take an additional 10% off your auto insurance. Crazy the the G35 is 15 grand more than the Prelude yet the insurance is a $100 cheaper per year, go figure.

Thanks dude, I'm probably going to give them a call soon because I'll be buying my own insurance for my next car

legendboy
06-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2
for my *VW* 944. hehe.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
06-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by GSpot
Crazy the the G35 is 15 grand more than the Prelude yet the insurance is a $100 cheaper per year, go figure.

Because there aren't millions of kids with no car control skills out there crashing G35s, and no one is stealing them. When I was looking at new cars, an Integra GSR or Civic SiR would have cost me $5k a year for full coverage compared to $3400 a year for my subie. That was one of the biggest reasons why i didn't end up getting a honda or acura.

Yellow_Fly_Red
06-10-2002, 05:59 PM
http://www.news.kanetix.com/auto_articles_04.htm

Top ten most expensive cars to insure

Insurance companies rate cars based on the claims history of that vehicle. They look at things like accident frequency, repair costs, theft, vandalism and safety ratings for each make and model. The more money insurance companies have to pay in claims for a particular car, the more expensive that car is to insure.

According to the most recent information available at the Vehicle Information Centre of Canada, here are the top 10 most expensive 1999/2000 vehicles to insure based on claims and theft costs:

Acura Integra 2DR
Hyundai Tiburon (FX) 2DR
Chev/GMC Yukon Denali 4WD 4DR
Volkswagen Golf GTI 2DR
Honda Civic Si 2DR
Dodge Durango 4DR 4WD
Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Lincoln Navigator 4WD 4DR
Chrysler Town & Country Wagon 2WD
BMW 328i 4DR
Don't see your car on this list? Find out how your own car measures up at the
Vehicle Information Centre of Canada.
http://www.vicc.com/english/MeasureUp00.htm#Tables

4wheeldrift
06-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Surprisingly, 9 of the top 10 vehicles for not getting into accidents are the vehicles I see most commonly with body damage.

GTS Jeff
06-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Jeff: Is that for full coverage? In any case, yer gettin' raped hardcore!!!:eek: Not even! But I guess that's what you get for being 19...

And they don't even know about my speeding ticket. I wonder how much higher the premium would be once they factor that in..

4wheeldrift
06-11-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

And they don't even know about my speeding ticket. I wonder how much higher the premium would be once they factor that in..

They know, trust me. Most companies give you a freebie though.

G
06-11-2002, 08:50 AM
Not even! But I guess that's what you get for being 19...

The insurance company is bound to check your drivers abstract. They want every excuse to charge more.

girlRACER
06-11-2002, 10:07 AM
I remember my '99 tercel was only $50 additional per month as a part-time driver added onto my moms insurance!!

My G20 was not bad. $3000/year
When I got my SLK I wanted to switch insurance companies but they all quoted me $7000 minimum/year. So I stuck with my old insurance company which is cheaper b/c my mom has a plan with them. Same rate = $3000/year for the slk.

D'z Nutz
06-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I remember my '99 tercel was only $50 additional per month as a part-time driver added onto my moms insurance!!

My G20 was not bad. $3000/year
When I got my SLK I wanted to switch insurance companies but they all quoted me $7000 minimum/year. So I stuck with my old insurance company which is cheaper b/c my mom has a plan with them. Same rate = $3000/year for the slk.

Holy shit, that's a huge difference! Why did you want to switch companies? Do you have a clean record?

sexualbanana
06-11-2002, 11:54 AM
i hear integras r expensive to insure because people are always jacking it for the engine and stuff.

girlRACER
06-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Holy shit, that's a huge difference! Why did you want to switch companies? Do you have a clean record?

Yeah, my current one is screwing me over on my old car. Got into an accident and was rear ended. The other lady lied about her story and said I did a U-turn in front of her. Anyways, my own company wants to blame me b/c the other lady is in her 50's!! It's a long investigation still going on now.
But yeah, my driving record is clean except for 1 ticket.

D'z Nutz
06-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

Yeah, my current one is screwing me over on my old car. Got into an accident and was rear ended. The other lady lied about her story and said I did a U-turn in front of her. Anyways, my own company wants to blame me b/c the other lady is in her 50's!! It's a long investigation still going on now.
But yeah, my driving record is clean except for 1 ticket.

That sucks. Insurance companies are always screwing people over. A friend of my friend's got rear ended once and the person he got into an accident with happened to have the same insurance company as him. So rather than have them fight over it, the insurance company made them both split the cost of damages.

E36M3
06-11-2002, 12:26 PM
I'd say those are the expensive cars that are commonly insured. I find it hard to believe that an E46 M3 would cost less to insure than an E46 328. The interesting this is that this must be a used car report, as 328s haven't been made for a little while.

I'm sure that the Mclaren F1, Ferrari F50, and other exotics could easily push anything else off the top 10 list.

2000impreza
06-11-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
i hear integras r expensive to insure because people are always jacking it for the engine and stuff.

not just tegs. higher end honda's in general cost a lot to insure.

GTS Jeff
06-11-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

They know, trust me. Most companies give you a freebie though. Well what I mean is...the quote is not including the ticket. They said they will "probably" run a check on me if I want to insure a CRX they probably wouldn't run the check if I wanted to insure a 5th gen Civic.

But I hope my ticket doesn't make too much of a difference. It was for 32 over.

4wheeldrift
06-11-2002, 06:17 PM
For a new car they don't bother checking, you're getting fucked no matter what :confused:

4wheeldrift
06-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I'd say those are the expensive cars that are commonly insured. I find it hard to believe that an E46 M3 would cost less to insure than an E46 328. The interesting this is that this must be a used car report, as 328s haven't been made for a little while.

I'm sure that the Mclaren F1, Ferrari F50, and other exotics could easily push anything else off the top 10 list.

But an exotic like a ferrari is a different matter. Most companies won't even touch a car like that. And I would believe that the M3 costs less to insurance than a normal 3 series. Theres what, like 1000 normal 3 series on the road for every M3? Guess which gets into more accidents just through sheer volume? The normal 3 series. Insurance prices are set by several pieces of data (in no particular order) average number of claims, average cost of claims, claim frequency and average claim payout. A vehicle that gets stolen a lot, gets into lots of accidents and is relatively expensive to repair like a civic is naturlaly going to cost more than something that doesn't. And those quotes for insurance and stuff like that are for ANY vehicle, the statistics are compiled using every vehicle on the road, from the 2002 ferraris to a 1978 gremlin.

E36M3
06-11-2002, 06:52 PM
Well I know that my M3 is a lot more expensive to insure than a 328/330, etc. because I called around prior to purchase (both in Calgary and California) Insurance companies use actuarial tables that rely on factors that go way beyond average claim rates. Displacement, horsepower, torque, etc. are all factored in so that the data is reliable even with smaller sample sizes. (Actuarial science is complex).

In any case, the 'average' would not be higher just because of a larger sample size. The whole point of the average is to negate the differentiating factor of the sample size. The average also takes into account the type of use of the vehicle. In the case of the M3, a higher proportion of vehicles would be insured as leisure vehicles (since some people don't like commuting in them) so they would have a higher weight.

Ben
06-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Exotic cars never make these lists because not every one owns an Exotic car. DFor sure some people must pay huge coin to ensure them, but as 4wheeldrift mentioned, its all bassed on volume! You see a heck of alot mor integras making clames than you ever would on an M3 or Porsche or Ferrari. Its averaged. Not may 40 year olds drive ITR's and just the same, not many 20 year olds drive Ferraris...a 45 year old is going to pay less insuring his brand new 360 modena than I probably do on my 18 year old VW...

CRXguy
06-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Not even! But I guess that's what you get for being 19...

I didn't get insured till I was 20, also a NEW driver. First year, I paid $2500/year for basic coverage, no collision and theft....and I had 2 speeding tickets at the time too. Got raped bad.

Now, my second year, I switched over to State Farm. I'm paying $18xx with the same coverage with the 2 tickets. But it's a joint insurance cuz me and my GF are "common-law" and we get a multi-car discount. We had 3 tickets altogether, and 2 are coming off our record in a couple months. But I had a huge ticket last year, and I lost at my court appearance, so we'll see next month if I get a huge raise!!