PDA

View Full Version : Any asthmatics ??

fast95pony
07-05-2004, 03:48 PM
I need to loose weight. At least 50 lbs . But working out is uncomfortable because I suffer from asthma. I used to go to the gym , but I lost interest . I now spend long hours at work sat on my butt ,eating junk food because I work shifts and I'm too lazy or tired to make decent meals.

Anyways , enough whining. Has anyone been in a similar situation ?? I really lack motivation too.

I think the first thing I should do is see my doctor to get something stronger for my asthma,and then perhaps join some program for motivational reasons .

I'm a bit older than most on this board, but does anyone have any suggestions or comments to get this old fart in shape ??

Thanks

Alan

B17a
07-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Sucks to your assmar!:D

Seriously though, if you're 50lbs overweight, you gotta cut out the junk food, that should be worth a few pounds immediately right there. You don't have to start hitting the gym like a maniac but get out and take a walk, even for 20 minutes a night.

QuasarCav
07-05-2004, 03:58 PM
start off slow and work up to something that can burn more calories.

walk for 15 min tonight and try to add 5 min a day.

Set a goal: you said 50lbs and stick with it.

Eat right: that will make your weight loss quicker and you will notice it faster.

Find a friend: that way you may be more motivated and have someone to bitch to when you are sore.

Hope that helps.

Weapon_R
07-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Atkins dude. My friend lost 30 lbs super quick using a strict Akins method - he has also kept it off for about 3 months now, so it seems to be working well.

PGTze
07-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Funny thing, after all these years of playing sports doing athletic stuff liek that, I have been diagnosed with sports induced asthma. Now I feel like a super human compared to before. Who knew :dunno:

rc2002
07-05-2004, 04:19 PM
I was going to suggest smoking, but I guess that wouldn't go so well with your asthma. :D

Workout early in the morning so that your metabolism is kept higher all day. You'll be hungrier all day, but you'll be burning a lot more calories!

bigboom
07-05-2004, 05:08 PM
what i did was quit relaying on my inhaler and just suffer through it, but mind you my asthma was as sever as some people are either.

but yeah try walking, you will be surprised at what walking for an hour a or even 30 minutes a day will do for you.

fast95pony
07-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Yeah , Walking is my best bet , at least to start anyway.

FiveFreshFish
07-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Drink lots of water. Avoid pop and beer.

Chester
07-06-2004, 01:24 AM
I've had pretty bad Asthma since i was little but I've always played sports. Also if you goto your doctor and get a really strong inhaler perscribed it really helps. Get one that you only have to take one puff once a day, for me its at night. Its so strong you dont even have to use it everynight if you don't want to. It also helps alot when your active:thumbsup:

jdmakkord
07-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Funny, I think I used my inhaler 2 or 3 times all through jr and sr high, yet last year I probably burned through 6 of them, in nov and dec alone. Seems mine is getting way worse instead of tapering off.

lam-boy
07-06-2004, 12:07 PM
I stopped using my inhaler since JR high. Zephyr is also asthmatic. But I try not to rely on my inhaler when I do physical things such as running, swimming and such. It works just have to learn how to breath.

Zephyr suggested this to me but I haven't tried. When doing cardio and such take to breathes in through you nose and breathe out your mouth. when doing weightlifting go back to regular breathing or however you breath.

asthma sucks :thumbsdow

I was wondering, when you guys get a flu or something does asthma kick in full effect? I have trouble breathing and everything everytime I'm sick. Even rolling out of bed, going upstairs for a cup of water and medicine knocks my wind out.

Kartelli
07-06-2004, 12:20 PM
ive had asthma since i was 4,

been very severe until end of junior high. Gone through about 2 inhalers every 6 months since end of junior high up until I started hitting the gym in university.

Lifting heavy weights teaches you how to breathe properly, now I use my medicine only when i catch a cold or flu (flares up) = 1 inhaler per year if that.

try taking your medicine 15 min before doing cardio, and maybe 1 spray more after your workout if needed. See how that goes for a month, trying to reduce the amount you take every week or 2?

Chester
07-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy
I stopped using my inhaler since JR high. Zephyr is also asthmatic. But I try not to rely on my inhaler when I do physical things such as running, swimming and such. It works just have to learn how to breath.

Zephyr suggested this to me but I haven't tried. When doing cardio and such take to breathes in through you nose and breathe out your mouth. when doing weightlifting go back to regular breathing or however you breath.

asthma sucks :thumbsdow

I was wondering, when you guys get a flu or something does asthma kick in full effect? I have trouble breathing and everything everytime I'm sick. Even rolling out of bed, going upstairs for a cup of water and medicine knocks my wind out.

I've tried the breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth and it doesn't work so great. You just have to develop your own style of breathing and you'll be just fine. When i was younger my asthma was so bad but i was still a hardcore soccer player and I was just fine. PLay alot of sports and over time you learn how to deal with it.