PDA

View Full Version : Photo People - Where to have a Print made?

Ekliptix
07-05-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm thinking either Vistek or Blacks. I've used neither of them, but I want to be able to make sure the colors are what I want as a printed result.

Thanks.

tulit
07-05-2004, 09:59 PM
I always use Nova Photo now. You can download software from their website and submit your images online. Just go the next day and pick up your prints and pay. Good price and good quality.

Vistek also has a self service station. You bring your memory card, plug it into their terminal and order your prints. They are ready to pickup in an hour, but you need to pay in advance.

Ive never used Blacks.

Skylinelover
07-05-2004, 10:12 PM
I think future shop does prints too.

Gonthro
07-05-2004, 10:13 PM
london drugs does up to like 24x30

Ekliptix
07-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by tulit
I always use Nova Photo now. You can download software from their website and submit your images online. Just go the next day and pick up your prints and pay. Good price and good quality.

Vistek also has a self service station. You bring your memory card, plug it into their terminal and order your prints. They are ready to pickup in an hour, but you need to pay in advance.

Ive never used Blacks.

:)
I might just bring them in on disk, since some of them are 16Mb+ tiff's.

It'd be great if either of the places you've tried has a monitor calibrated for color and brightness to their printers, so I know exactly what I'd be getting.

Ekliptix
07-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
london drugs does up to like 24x30

Yea, the last time I printed something there, what I thought was orange came out red.
Thanks though.

Melinda
07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Depending on your size you want, Technicolor on 11th ave does 8x10 for like $2.99...Future shop's color probably isnt that great

OK_Computer
07-05-2004, 10:43 PM
London Drugs is horrible, stay away.

tulit
07-06-2004, 10:08 AM
If you ask, they may be able to give you their printer profiles. You still need to calibrate your monitors at home though :(

tulit
07-06-2004, 10:09 AM
And 8x10's for 2.99?? Holy crap. I need to check them out. Their right next door to my office.

(haha, Actually all the major camera/photo stores are within like 3 blocks of here. Maybe thats why my pay check always gets spent the second I get it????)

rage2
07-06-2004, 10:25 AM
shameless plug

Talk to my dad at Photo Experts in TD square 3rd floor. He deals with a lot of pro guys, and guarantee all the work. So if you're not happy with the color of your prints for whatever reason, they'll be redone for no charge.

Maybe it's time I work out a beyond discount or something thru him...

Gonthro
07-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by rage2
shameless plug

Talk to my dad at Photo Experts in TD square 3rd floor. He deals with a lot of pro guys, and guarantee all the work. So if you're not happy with the color of your prints for whatever reason, they'll be redone for no charge.

does he have a website?

im looking for a place that has a website thta i can upload photo's o and order prints from and pick them up the next day (up to about 18x24 size) wouldn't be a large volume, but it would be a few.

sputnik
07-06-2004, 10:33 AM
another shameless plug

Don's Photo can setup monitor profiles for you they print for tons of pros as well.

Also, 95% of their stuff is done in house (some weird stuff and large format printing is done in their Winnipeg location) so most of the time you can talk directly to the person who did the printing for you.

Melinda
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by rage2
:clap: I'd go out of my way to see him if that was the case! :D Haha I'm gonna be spending way too much on prints this summer lol :D

rage2
07-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Also, 95% of their stuff is done in house (some weird stuff and large format printing is done in their Winnipeg location) so most of the time you can talk directly to the person who did the printing for you.
My dad's shop does everything in house. We actually do a lot of wholesale work for the small shops in town.

lint
07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Depending on your size you want, Technicolor on 11th ave does 8x10 for like $2.99...Future shop's color probably isnt that great

Do you have the exact address and phone number? I can't find this in the phone book.

Thanks

Melinda
07-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by lint

Do you have the exact address and phone number? I can't find this in the phone book.

Thanks
Sorry, try Technicare...it's on 11th ave

lint
07-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

Sorry, try Technicare...it's on 11th ave

gracias

thich
07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
hmmm... since we're on the topic of printing and so on; has anyone done their own framing of their photos? I was rummaging through Michael's craft store the other day and saw that they had custom DIY frames and matting and so on... where is a cheap place to get stuff like this?

Melinda
07-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by thich
hmmm... since we're on the topic of printing and so on; has anyone done their own framing of their photos? I was rummaging through Michael's craft store the other day and saw that they had custom DIY frames and matting and so on... where is a cheap place to get stuff like this?
You can get matting at any craft or art store for pretty cheap. Frames...well just find a frame from anywhere that you like and you're good to go :) If you wanan mount them on mounting board first, that takes more supplies and work but I find if its in the frame, it doent need to be mounted first