PDA

View Full Version : Can you drive a boosted FR car in Calgary during the winter, with winter tires?

statick
07-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Hello fellow car enthusiasts. I currently own an S14 with a KA24DE installed in it. My engine is quite beat up, and I need an engine swap. I'd like to put in a SR20DET, redtop or blacktop, but I am not sure if I would be able to drive my car in the winter, with a boosted engine, especially since my car is RWD. If anyone has an RWD that is boosted, btu still drives it in the winter, or if anyone knows anything about this, please post on tis thread, or private message me.

-Thank you for your time.

-Statick

Gonthro
07-06-2004, 01:52 PM
you can drive anything in the winter if you have good winter tires and you dont drive like an ass, i have driven a s10 pickup (rwd, no weight above the rear tires) with bald tires and survived, you just have to drive within your vehicles limits.

rage2
07-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes. I've done it for 11 years now. No ABS. No traction control. Just winter tires.

QuasarCav
07-06-2004, 02:02 PM
forget about 1st.

I drove a 300zx in the winter one year. It was an experience.

Dont drive crazy and you'll be okay.

Xtrema
07-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Make sure you live in the south where there's very little hilly areas and you'll be ok.

In the north, you'll never get up hills. No matter how good your winter tires are. I have pushed a few MB, BMW and 350Z in my area, during snow storms. Standard winter tire only do snow, on ice, they are not much better than other tires.

That's why you get a beater for winter and leave your baby at home. No point in having other people smash up you nice ride either.

GTS Jeff
07-06-2004, 02:08 PM
yes. having an LSD will also make your life a lot easier.

also, make sure u dont let anyone else drive your car during the winter.

rage2
07-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Make sure you live in the south where there's very little hilly areas and you'll be ok.

In the north, you'll never get up hills. No matter how good your winter tires are. I have pushed a few MB, BMW and 350Z in my area, during snow storms. Standard winter tire only do snow, on ice, they are not much better than other tires.
I live on top of a hill in arbour lake, and never have a problem. Well, unless some dork in a FWD all seaon tire car spins its tires and ices up the road, then slows down and stops and blocks me. At that point, I'll have to go back to the bottom of the hill and try again. That applies to FWD cars too. Here's where AWD cars shine.

GTS Jeff
07-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I'll have to go back to the bottom of the hill and try again. :rofl: ive had to "try again" on busy roads before.

roopi
07-06-2004, 02:37 PM
The snow hasn't stopped me yet. Mud has gotten the better of me and my car though :(

C4S
07-06-2004, 02:52 PM
FWD or RWD ... not really matter ... with a set of good snow tires, no problem at all ! and most the RWD now, are with independent rear suspension, and near 50/50% balanced anyway ..

Traction control will help too !

I have been driving RWD for the last .. 10+ winter ! :D

That.Guy.S30
07-06-2004, 03:42 PM

Here's where AWD cars shine.

ahha and dont forget that!! jokes.. arbour lake does get real icy tho

statick
07-06-2004, 05:23 PM
yea im in edgemont.......if anyboidy doesnt kno where that is.... its in NW and very hilly...and i live rite in the middle of a hill.
for anyone who went adn played soccer last week, its that same hill u need 2 go down to get access to the feild...

rage2....ur slk 32amg , is rwd and supercharged.... u still hav no problems ???:confused:

rage2
07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
My wife drives the AMG in the winter. I drive the 944 turbo. Whoever thinks high powered RWD cars in the winter don't work have obviously never tried it.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
yes. having an LSD will also make your life a lot easier.
An LSD will make you oversteer way more. No LSD is easier for the untrained, LSD is better for the ones that knows how to drive.

pizalm
07-06-2004, 09:25 PM
you'll be fine, look at all the 2wd trucks driving around with an empty bed. It's the same thing. You'll just need to use a bit more finesse.

kenny
07-06-2004, 09:46 PM

I live on top of a hill in arbour lake, and never have a problem. Well, unless some dork in a FWD all seaon tire car spins its tires and ices up the road, then slows down and stops and blocks me. At that point, I'll have to go back to the bottom of the hill and try again. That applies to FWD cars too. Here's where AWD cars shine.

This is coming from the guy that would call into the office during the smallest snowstorm and say he cant even get off his driveway because its too icy! :rofl: :rofl:

haha but in all seriousness any car can be driven in winter. On some cars you'll have to add some sandbags for weight in the rear for added traction.

GTS Jeff
07-06-2004, 10:15 PM
An LSD will make you oversteer way more. No LSD is easier for the untrained, LSD is better for the ones that knows how to drive. true enough. my friends corolla (with lsd) NEVER gets stuck in the winter, whereas im constantly pushing my car out of trouble.

rage2
07-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by kenny
This is coming from the guy that would call into the office during the smallest snowstorm and say he cant even get off his driveway because its too icy! :rofl: :rofl:
lol. Those times were all because I didn't switch to winter tires haha. That and it's a GREAT excuse! :rofl:

Idratherbsidewayz
07-07-2004, 12:01 AM
I drove the 240 all winter, and it was my first year driving a rear wheel drive, relatively light, turbo car. Supercharged isn't as bad as turbo though. If you are wanting to put the pedal down, you won't get any traction once turbo hits...

djfob
07-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
I drove the 240 all winter, and it was my first year driving a rear wheel drive, relatively light, turbo car. Supercharged isn't as bad as turbo though. If you are wanting to put the pedal down, you won't get any traction once turbo hits...

I'd say a turbo is easier then a SC because you can just stay out of boost and go easier on the pedal.

JustinL
07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by djfob

I'd say a turbo is easier then a SC because you can just stay out of boost and go easier on the pedal.

Hmmm, I'd say no. The issue with turbo is that you can hold the throttle in one position and still get the surge of power; a supercharger is much more linear and predictable.

Although it is not much of an issue with good winter tires, because stopping and turning on a slipery road is much more important than accelerating.

blueripper6
07-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Wouldnt it be bad to drive a turbo in the winter?

is there anyways you can.. lol ummm... shut it off? Im trying to say, anyway you can prevent it from spooling?

rage2
07-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by blueripper6
Wouldnt it be bad to drive a turbo in the winter?

is there anyways you can.. lol ummm... shut it off? Im trying to say, anyway you can prevent it from spooling?
Yea, don't floor it.

People, it's called common sense. If you don't want power, go easy on the throttle. It's the same for every car regardless if it's turbo or supercharged or NA. You don't need to lay down 200hp in winter, so don't floor it. If you can't control your right foot in the winter, then you really shouldn't be driving in Calgary.

blueripper6
07-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Yea I understand that thanks.. but wouldnt cold/freezing air/ice etc be bad for the turbo.. i dont really know how they work but thanks.

RedBull
07-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Our 350z has no problems in the winter with the exception of deep snow (turns into a snow plow). With the help of traction control, good driving, and of course pirelli snowsport 240's hills aren't really a problem either. Not to stray from the thread topic or anything but when looking for winter tires in the fall these are the ones we are running, and damn they are amazing. Peace.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+240+SnowSport:

rage2
07-07-2004, 10:28 AM
On the topic of tire reviews... I've used Blizzaks, Goodyear ultragrip, Michelin Alpin's, and Pirelli snowsports over the years on my SLKs.

The blizzaks won hands down, but they're damn pricey and they don't last long.

The Michelin Alpins wore great, very good in snow and ice, and they have very good dry straight line traction too on the cold dry days. I don't get wheelspin in 2nd in the AMG if I'm in a straight line.

The goodyears and the pirellis weren't very impressive, a lot less grippier than the above 2 choices. My mom used goodyears on the slk 230 and she had no problems, so they're still usable.

Idratherbsidewayz
07-07-2004, 10:34 AM
On the topic of tire reviews... I've used Blizzaks, Goodyear ultragrip, Michelin Alpin's, and Pirelli snowsports over the years on my SLKs.

The blizzaks won hands down, but they're damn pricey and they don't last long.

The Michelin Alpins wore great, very good in snow and ice, and they have very good dry straight line traction too on the cold dry days. I don't get wheelspin in 2nd in the AMG if I'm in a straight line.

The goodyears and the pirellis weren't very impressive, a lot less grippier than the above 2 choices. My mom used goodyears on the slk 230 and she had no problems, so they're still usable.

Im using the Michelin's as well. Very good tires, nice and grippy. Sadly the rear ones lasted me only one winter/spring...

Xtrema
07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Alpin user as well. Great tires for winter.

statick
07-07-2004, 01:33 PM
thx for all the feed back guys:D

C4S
07-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Quote from an Audi salesperson, [ Good drivers can drive RWD in Edmonton's winter, but dumb drivers (ok, she didnt' say dumb, she just said "not that good drivers " ) need AWD in winter, that is why, Audi is better for Alberta ! ]

From her, sound like most alberta drivers are dumb ! ( not that good )

Anyway, RWD is awesome ! in general ! especially with 50/50% weight !

:)

That.Guy.S30
07-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Quote from an Audi salesperson, [ Good drivers can drive RWD in Edmonton's winter, but dumb drivers (ok, she didnt' say dumb, she just said "not that good drivers " ) need AWD in winter, that is why, Audi is better for Alberta ! ]

From her, sound like most alberta drivers are dumb ! ( not that good )

Anyway, RWD is awesome ! in general ! especially with 50/50% weight !

:)

doesnt that sound weird since audi sells awd vehicles too? aha she can kiss my AWD and re92 ass!! ahahahh

RedBull
07-08-2004, 05:53 PM

Hmmm i was under the impression that the pirelli snowsports were the best? BMW dealerships recommend and correct me if i'm wrong, exclusively sell them? :dunno: Looks like i'll try the blizzaks next time when the pirellis wear out thanks for the info.

WGR4Pussies
07-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

Hmmm, I'd say no. The issue with turbo is that you can hold the throttle in one position and still get the surge of power; a supercharger is much more linear and predictable.

Although it is not much of an issue with good winter tires, because stopping and turning on a slipery road is much more important than accelerating.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :banghead:

JustinL
07-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Please correct what I said instead of beating your head against the wall.

rage2
07-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by TenzoLude
Hmmm i was under the impression that the pirelli snowsports were the best? BMW dealerships recommend and correct me if i'm wrong, exclusively sell them? :dunno: Looks like i'll try the blizzaks next time when the pirellis wear out thanks for the info.
Mercedes dealership pushes them too, that's how I ended up with them. I'll bet they have the greatest markup on them ;).

Lesson #1 - never trust sales people. Even kenny I dont trust no more cuz he's a sleazy sales guy at future shop! :rofl:

Owned 2
07-09-2004, 11:57 AM
I have a boosted RWD car... and I JUST started driving. I got the car in the middle of winter this year.

I had to learn how to drive standard in the winter.. and i did fine.

People who say "YOU CANT DRIVE A RWD IN WINTER" are complete morons that obviously smoke pole at driving.

kenny
07-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Lesson #1 - never trust sales people. Even kenny I dont trust no more cuz he's a sleazy sales guy at future shop! :rofl:

:rofl: I'm a professional partner helping people decide what they need, not a sales person! :)

But on the winter tire topic, I went with Pirelli wintersports because my first choice at the time was no longer available. They were pretty good, kept the 349hp under control in slippery conditions. :thumbsup:

three.eighteen.
07-09-2004, 03:56 PM
i have michelin pilot alpins on the bmw for driving in the winter (hopefully wont be doing that anymore) they work pretty good, you just get stuck in deeper, wetter snow (like snow drifts), i drove a kal tire truck around with nokian hakkapellitas...damn, those are nice winter tires

statick
07-10-2004, 10:11 AM
yo kenny, wut car do u drive ?

statick
07-10-2004, 10:22 AM
yo three.eighteen. , why do u not wana be driving in the winter anymore ??? wanna get a new winter car, or is it pretty hard/dangerous?

Semaj
07-10-2004, 02:58 PM
i wanna get a new winter car cus the car is lowered and im thinking about some pretty extensive changes once i move into the new house (3rd garage space!) so i need a car to drive while the car is in pieces

ps im 318

statick
07-11-2004, 10:08 AM
M3 engine swap ?

Alpine Autowerks
07-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Make sure you live in the south where there's very little hilly areas and you'll be ok.In the north, you'll never get up hills. No matter how good your winter tires are.

when you climb a hilll the weight transfers back increasing traction for RWD cars & robbing it from FWD.

turbo cars are very easy to regulate in cold and very cold. if you sense the turbo coming on stream (which happens sooner in the cold and softer cuz it's lower in the rev range and exhaust energy is lower) just snatch the next gear and lug.

I've driven Rage II's 951 lots in the winter and it does not get much better w/o AWD and even then it is more controllable cuz w/ AWD it is not as predictable esp w Torsen centre diff cuz they are random in low mu (traction coefficient)condtions.

w/ AWD and FWD oversteer to tighten a line up is harder to acheive esp AWD. and FWD means dropping a hand to use the hand brake.

Smokey
07-12-2004, 09:52 AM
you could drive it but thats kind of a dumb thing drivign a rwd car its better to have front wheels spinning in stead of the back and bald tires are u mad.. u wouldnt get trough heavy snow u would jsut be spinning ur tires u shouldnt lie to us with bald tires... :burnout:

Alpine Autowerks
07-12-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm bald... not my tires :dunno:

statick
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
so an LSD would also help my winter driving ? or make it harder ??
all i kno is LSD is good for drifting, and can giv u better control around corners and sht on normal roads......wut would an LSD for calgary winter driving?

rage2
07-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
you could drive it but thats kind of a dumb thing drivign a rwd car its better to have front wheels spinning in stead of the back and bald tires are u mad.. u wouldnt get trough heavy snow u would jsut be spinning ur tires u shouldnt lie to us with bald tires... :burnout:
WTF kinda crack are you smoking? Did you read the disclaimer? 12 year olds aren't allowed here.

Originally posted by statick
all i kno is LSD is good for drifting, and can giv u better control around corners and sht on normal roads......wut would an LSD for calgary winter driving?
An LSD will make you oversteer when you go over the limit of adhesion. If you know what you're doing, you will have MORE control with LSD in the winter. If you dunno wtf you're doing, you'll spin out, and better off WITHOUT LSD.

ACX
07-12-2004, 11:47 AM
SRt guys have no issues with the right tires. You're talking on average 23x/25X to the wheels, the quaife LSD helps to.

GTS Jeff
07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by statick
all i kno is LSD is good for drifting, and can giv u better control around corners and sht on normal roads......wut would an LSD for calgary winter driving? in teh winter its mainly useful for getting yourself unstuck cuz u can spin both wheels rather than just one.

i get stuck all the time just cuz 1 wheel is on ice, even when the other is on pavement. an lsd would prevent this.

statick
07-13-2004, 11:00 AM
thx for all the help guys:D

statick
07-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Does a 1995 240SXse come with a factory LSD?

Hakkola
07-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I was just wondering how a 240sx would be for a winter car, is it driveable?

statick
07-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Does a 1995 240SXse come with a factory LSD?:dunno:

statick
07-21-2004, 02:50 PM
bump..........:dunno: