PDA

View Full Version : Acting Schools in Calgary

turbo_equiped
07-06-2004, 05:31 PM
hi all
i was just wondering about acting schools here in calgary. i mean i am interested in going to some. if any one has any experience in that please do let me know. any help would be appreciated. also how much do they cost approximately? and can you take them in like summers? do they really help later on if u want acting to be your career? i read couple of posts about this before so i am pretty sure some people do know some stuff about this. thanks for all the help.

Forcefed
07-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Toronto has some of the best in Canada, if your truly interested in doing this go to Toronto. Doesnt help much, but honestly acting is all about being in the right place at the right time!!! Some of the biggest stars have no training at all, they just happen to be there.

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Forcefed is ill-informed. There is a lot of work in Calgary and Van, and Calgary has a fantastic school that I have been with for almost a year. Call Company of Rogues 228-5526 http://www.corogues.com and chat with Stacie after 1 pm, she'll get you started. COR is very well respected, all the west coast agents and casting directors regard them very highly.

COR's classes are good for beginners to advanced and you NEED training to get anywhere in the industry. Costs are 295 for the first class and like 275 for any additional classes (6 week courses once a week...12 week courses are 595 i believe) There are workshops running in the summer but not a full schedule (i am starting a workshop on thurs) Full sched's are in Sept.

Good luck in your search, tell them Mark sent ya if you do call:)

Redlyne_mr2
07-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Forcefed is ill-informed. There is a lot of work in Calgary and Van, and Calgary has a fantastic school that I have been with for almost a year. Call Company of Rogues 228-5526 http://www.corogues.com and chat with Stacie after 1 pm, she'll get you started. COR is very well respected, all the west coast agents and casting directors regard them very highly.

COR's classes are good for beginners to advanced and you NEED training to get anywhere in the industry. Costs are 295 for the first class and like 275 for any additional classes (6 week courses once a week...12 week courses are 595 i believe) There are workshops running in the summer but not a full schedule (i am starting a workshop on thurs) Full sched's are in Sept.

haha are you serious? You can actually make money in Calgary as an actor. Calgary hasn't hosted a box office movie since Cool Runnings:rofl:

bigboom
07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
im feeling very jamaican today...maybe ill give them a call as well :)

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

haha are you serious? You can actually make money in Calgary as an actor. Calgary hasn't hosted a box office movie since Cool Runnings:rofl:

Dood, you obviously have no idea. ;) Remember Open Range, with Kevin Costner? How about Texas Rangers, or the fact that Heath Ledger and Jake Gyelenthal(sp?) are in town AS WE SPEAK. The producer is renting my dad's Eau Claire condo right now as well and Jake is renting the one 2 doors down from him.

SO many movies are filmed in Calgary and just outside for many portions...trust me. I am business related to the lady who handles all the movie people looking to rent condos while in town filming and about 8 directors are here currently...

sheesh...LOL

Melinda
07-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Canmore is HUGE for movies and TV shows as well, there's usually always one on the go there.

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Yep :D

Dope Dealer
07-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Cool Runners was a good movie. :D

lam-boy
07-07-2004, 01:13 PM
wow, I wanna be a movie star. Zorro, if you do gain skill in this type of field. I'm just wondering cuase I don't think everyone will be sucessful will they? I doubt it. :cry: :cry: dreams fall in the hole

turbo_equiped
07-07-2004, 02:47 PM

hey thanks a lot Zorro. Thats almost everything i wanted to know about this right now. I really appreaciate your help. I am going to check out their website and get into some details. I knew someone from here was linked with acting schools or something guess it was you. Well thanks again for all your help.:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot to everyone else also with your suggestions and all!

turbo_equiped
07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I am trying to go on this website " http://www.corogues.com" but it keeps saying the website could not be found. Are you sure this is right?

403Gemini
07-07-2004, 03:08 PM
also the new short tv series of little house on the prarie i believe is being filmed here as well (i may be wrong ...) but yea open range all in alberta baby :D

QuasarCav
07-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Walker, Texas ranger was shot in Calgary?

That would be cool, Fucking Chuck Norris!

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah they are doing work on the host server, be patient, it'll be back up soon...

Lam-Boy: first step to being successful in the business for more than a one hit deal, is training and being a GOOD, truthful actor. Once you have developed skills in the craft, other things that come into play:

Do you have a look that allows you to play different roles? (Arnold for example could only do action, being so muscular and cause he can't act LOL)

Do you have a good agent who gets you out there and recognized?

Do you have natural talent?

Being at the right place at the right time, snagging auditions etc thru contacts

Drive and desire (much like succeeding in anything)

Improv skill

Outgoing personality

There's more but that's a start!

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Walker, Texas ranger was shot in Calgary?

That would be cool, Fucking Chuck Norris!

Dunno about that....Texas Rangers was a movie ( with James Vanderbeek and Usher etc)

lam-boy
07-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Yeah they are doing work on the host server, be patient, it'll be back up soon...

Lam-Boy: first step to being successful in the business for more than a one hit deal, is training and being a GOOD, truthful actor. Once you have developed skills in the craft, other things that come into play:

Do you have a look that allows you to play different roles? (Arnold for example could only do action, being so muscular and cause he can't act LOL)

Do you have a good agent who gets you out there and recognized?

Do you have natural talent?

Being at the right place at the right time, snagging auditions etc thru contacts

Drive and desire (much like succeeding in anything)

Improv skill

Outgoing personality

There's more but that's a start!

diffrent look. Not many asian movie stars in the NA field so I want to make it diffrent. I would love to be like a Tom Hanks, he can be funny, can be serious and a love bird.

I got no agent. I have no background skills. I only acted in school plays in elementary :rofl:

Natural Talent? how would I know I have it? is there a test?

thanks for all info Zorro

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Talk to Company of Rogues, they'll tell you all you need to know, and how to get started...

Natural talent helps but acting can be learned for the most part, some just don't try hard enough and it shows...

Give it a shot!

max_boost
07-07-2004, 04:05 PM
lammer, are you serious?:rofl: Ok now get motivated to prove me wrong:D

lam-boy
07-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
lammer, are you serious?:rofl: Ok now get motivated to prove me wrong:D

haha sam, why not?

it looks fun. I would have a blast doing it.

JordanLotoski
07-07-2004, 08:01 PM
i was thinking about taking acting lessons.....

turbo_equiped
07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
^^why did you change your mind???

JordanLotoski
07-07-2004, 08:08 PM
i never chaged my mind i said i was thinking about it......when i lived down south i was gonna take a few months and head down to LA give it a try....i dont knwo why i didnt

mwmhong
07-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

What about that Steven Segal movie Exit Wounds?
(Center Street Bridge)

Shanghai Noon with Jackie Chan?
(actually saw him at Grand Isle)

Dead Bang with Don Johnson?
(featuring Farmer Jones used cars on 9th Avenue)

I actually had a brief encounter with Keri Russell recently, she was filming a movie with Empire Films.

This guy I used to know was an extra in 'Legends of the Fall', he played a soldier who hands the cigarette to Brad Pitt when in the trenches.

Extras get paid decent bucks considering all you do is sit around and wait most of the time.

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Nah dood, extras get paid jack...I did some work for Juliette Lewis' movie this past october and got 95$ for 13hrs...it WAS fun, mind you....

mwmhong
07-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Strange, I've heard something like $15/hour+ for Shanghai Noon. :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
07-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

What about that Steven Segal movie Exit Wounds?
(Center Street Bridge)

Shanghai Noon with Jackie Chan?
(actually saw him at Grand Isle)

Dead Bang with Don Johnson?
(featuring Farmer Jones used cars on 9th Avenue)

I actually had a brief encounter with Keri Russell recently, she was filming a movie with Empire Films.

This guy I used to know was an extra in 'Legends of the Fall', he played a soldier who hands the cigarette to Brad Pitt when in the trenches.

Extras get paid decent bucks considering all you do is sit around and wait most of the time.
I actually knew about exit wounds and shanghai noon I just wanted to bring cool runnings back from the dead. Haha I would hardly consider Don Johnson movies box office:rofl:

ZorroAMG
07-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
Strange, I've heard something like $15/hour+ for Shanghai Noon. :dunno:

Nope. ACTRA, the actors union has a set fee for extra work...mind you in you ride a bike or something, it's considered stunt extra so it's more money