PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a "gift" to Canada

BigShow
07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
What can happen if a shipper (eBay transaction US to Canada) labels a package as a gift (when it isn't), can customs decide it's not a gift and keep it?

xkon
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
no, generally if its through USPS they send it on through... if they decide its too valuble as a gift, they simply charge you duty and customs charges. Very rarely does that happen though, like if its marked as a gift then they open it to find an invoice for $200 inside... thats when they ding you

africano
07-06-2004, 07:03 PM
well, i got a "gift" from hong kong no problem. Just showed up 10 days after I bought it.

Legally I think customs can search anything that looks suspicious, and for that matter prob take it.

BigShow
07-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the help :thumbsup: so basically it won't be possible to have a receipt enclosed in the package than will it?

D'z Nutz
07-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Just don't send it through UPS. Then they'll charge you whatever the hell the want, "gift" or not "gift".

xkon
07-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Just don't send it through UPS. Then they'll charge you whatever the hell the want, "gift" or not "gift".

:werd:

honk kong is the best... when i get items from there, ive opened it up and had a BIRTHDAY CARD inside with my name on it!!!

things like that, make me buy MORE MORE MORE!

blinkme_210
07-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Pretty much anything under $500 I've bought from any e-tailer have been marked gifts, and never once have I ever been taxed. If you really want to be safe, get the seller/e-tailer to enclose a "letter" inside just in case.

Kamen
07-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Does anyone know if the US customs is on strike right now? My brother said it was and if that's the case I'm gonna be getting my item later than I would prefer!!