PDA

View Full Version : California Car Registration for Florida Car

Flipz
07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi,

I am planning on buying a car while being on my vocation here in Key West, FL because I saw a few really good deals but I was wondering what is the situation with the registration of such a vehicle in my home state - California.

Can anyone give me more information on what fees I will incur with a purchase of a $4500 car when moving it to Cali or give me a link to a place where I could find that information. I searched the California DMV site but the information there is so confusing.

This is my first car and I am not sure what fees I will have to pay.

Thank you very much and I hope I get an answer in this forum.

Regards,

Svetlin

Gonthro
07-07-2004, 10:39 AM
my suggestion is phone the dmv, this is a primarily canadian site so you probably wont find any answers here.

Skylinelover
07-07-2004, 11:33 AM
This may help but I am not 100% sure..
If you drive the car back you will get hit wil calli taxes. You might have to get an inspection done. If the car is legally here then there will be no problems. And are you drving it back or getting in flone?

ryder_23
07-07-2004, 11:56 AM
^
How does driving it in / shipping it change anything? its still landing in same state, still has to be insured/registered same way no matter how you bring it back.

Its the us, you probably will get hit with taxes, but if it works like canada, you'll need an out of "state" inspection, in order for it to be deemed possible to register in your state. Also california i think has very strict emmision(sp) laws, so you should make sure your car is up to par before bringing it there. Other than that, i'd suggest what gonthro said, or maybe Zephyr might now :dunno: pm him

Flipz
07-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I will not be driving it back to Cali. I will move it. I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy and register it in FL and drive it in CA. I have seen a lot of out-of-state cars around the streets of LA but I am not sure whether there is certain amount of time to drive it legally before registering it in the state or you could drive it any time even if it is registered out of state.