PDA

View Full Version : Frikkin hit an run!!!

donz
07-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Damn, I just get home and I see a huge dent on my sister's lude. So I go inside and asked. My sister got home like half an hour before me, and it was fine then!! The messed up part is that the car was parked on the driveway!!! Somebody drove on to the driveway and hit her car!!! If I left poker like 15 minutes earlier I probably would have saw the guy!! damn... Anybody think I should claim insurence? It's a pretty big dent, and the bumper is cracked.

Kaos
07-08-2004, 03:04 AM
where is the dent located?
Im guessing it was hit in the rear?

what else is damaged?

Personally, if you dont want you premiums to go up, fix the car yourself. If your trunk and quarter panel is messed and cant afford fixing it yourself, then I guess the last resort is to tell your insurance company.

donz
07-08-2004, 03:12 AM
you think insurence will go up? the quarters are fine, but the bumper will need replacing if you want to do it good. The plastic is cracked, like 10 inches, on a couple of lines. It's drievr corner. I just can't believe how it could happen on the driveway!!!

googe
07-08-2004, 03:13 AM
i dont think they can jack your rates for that type of claim anymore

donz
07-08-2004, 03:16 AM
I'll post pics tmmorow, and file a report. I can still chose not to collect insurence if I file a report. I'll see what the cops say.

keroppi
07-08-2004, 03:32 AM
You can call your insurance company and ask if a claim like this would increase your premium. I think typically they would not jack up your premium for the first time of such a not-at-fault claim. But you can always check first and if you decide not to make a claim, your insurance will not be affected.

Orbie
07-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by donz
Damn, I just get home and I see a huge dent on my sister's lude. So I go inside and asked. My sister got home like half an hour before me, and it was fine then!! The messed up part is that the car was parked on the driveway!!! Somebody drove on to the driveway and hit her car!!! If I left poker like 15 minutes earlier I probably would have saw the guy!! damn... Anybody think I should claim insurence? It's a pretty big dent, and the bumper is cracked.

The whole "someone hit my car on the driveway" thing sounds very fishy. It may just be my paranoid side speaking but when things as unprobable sounding as this happens, my gut feeling would be to look into what the more likely cause could have been regardless of what people say. I know your sister says "it was fine" when she got home, but just out of curiosity, what was her reaction to the damage when you found it?

I don't know the whole story though and I haven't seen the damage but from what you have written here, my gut feeling would be different then yours. However, if someone did hit your car right on your driveway you should ask your neighbors if they saw/heard something? If the damage was that bad, you'd think someone would have at least heard something. Any kids that play outside etc.?

SRH
07-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Orbie

The whole "someone hit my car on the driveway" thing sounds very fishy. It may just be my paranoid side speaking but when things as unprobable sounding as this happens, my gut feeling would be to look into what the more likely cause could have been regardless of what people say. I know your sister says "it was fine" when she got home, but just out of curiosity, what was her reaction to the damage when you found it?

I don't know the whole story though and I haven't seen the damage but from what you have written here, my gut feeling would be different then yours. However, if someone did hit your car right on your driveway you should ask your neighbors if they saw/heard something? If the damage was that bad, you'd think someone would have at least heard something. Any kids that play outside etc.?

I agree. I think it is VERY unlikely that someone would hit your car in the driveway and then take off. Talk to your neighbours...but perhaps your sister didn't notice the damage before she left wherever she was earlier in the day.

donz
07-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Man you have no Idea how stupid it is!!! But I talked to her friends who had been in the car and they all said it was fine before... And I belive her... It is rediculious if you think about it, You can't even park in your own garage.

SRH
07-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah that's pretty bad. I'm sorry to hear that. Sad that that's what this world has come to.

H4LFY2nR
07-08-2004, 03:50 PM
That really sucks. It should be covered under no fault claims. My moms van has a huge dent in the side of it from some hit and run in a parking lot and she was scared to claim it because she thought her premiums would go up. But recently we asked and our insurance company (TD) said that they will fix it and there would be no increase. Just ask your insurance company.

Skylinelover
07-08-2004, 06:33 PM
But I talked to her friends who had been in the car and they all said it was fine before... And I belive her... It is rediculious if you think about it, You can't even park in your own garage.

What if she hit someone and told them to cover up? And also I always see people driving on other people's driveways to turn around. And if it is that big the person must have been going pretty quick.

Blue Devil 2
07-08-2004, 07:23 PM
I've seen where your sister parks her car it would take a reaaaaally shitty driver to drive up onto the driveway and hit her car.

dkny_stylez
07-08-2004, 08:54 PM
weird:dunno:

donz
07-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Dude she's my sis, and I totally believer her... You'll have to know my sis, she like totally freeked when I showed her, If she saw who did it she would have totally took his left nut... She really takes care of her car, it's been 2 and a half years since she got it and she doesn't even have a ding, trust me she is careful... As for how fast they have to be going, I really dont think fast, the hit the hollow corner of the bumper where there is no support, it's like squishing a pop can there. Kinda sucks...

Anyways Info that can help people out.
#1 you have to make a police statement within 12 hours, the sooner the better
#2 according to police, you have to make a claim if it is hit and run, no matter how much the damage, so the $1000 minimum does not apply.
#3 Insurence will take claims and not raise premiums if it is declared a hit and run. you pay deductable. You must have police report, and show it to insurence for them to varify it is a hit and run

As for the car, I looked into it, I think damages shouldn't exceed $600, it's only a bumper and paint.. I don't even know if it is worth it to go through insurence, after the deductable and all, but I'll see... Guess I'm packing lunch for a while... j/k

googe
07-09-2004, 04:26 AM

#3 Insurence will take claims and not raise premiums if it is declared a hit and run.

As for the car, I looked into it, I think damages shouldn't exceed $600, it's only a bumper and paint.. I don't even know if it is worth it to go through insurence, after the deductable and all, but I'll see...

Even if its $5 over your deductible, if they arent gonna jack your rates up, why wouldnt it be worth it to claim?

JCX
07-09-2004, 12:43 PM
I've had my share of hit and runs (3 bastards) and the only time I filed insurance was when it was a major claim. As I recall, my payments DID go up but not alot. The other time it was $550 and my deductible is $500 - not worth it. The most recent time (last F'N week) it'll cost me about $300.

What is your deductible (you have to pay this NO MATTER WHAT). Only file insurance if it's a large bill, it's not worth it in the long run. In my situation, if I would have filed 3 hit and run claims in 4 years do you think the innsurance company would be pleased? They'd probably tell me to haul ass (even thought I did nothing wrong!!).

rice_eater
07-09-2004, 01:34 PM
maybe someone kicked the bumper in or hit a ball at it then :dunno: if you believe her and only the bumper is damaged then who knows, it might be.

Orbie
07-09-2004, 01:56 PM

As for the car, I looked into it, I think damages shouldn't exceed $600, it's only a bumper and paint.. I don't even know if it is worth it to go through insurence, after the deductable and all, but I'll see... Guess I'm packing lunch for a while... j/k

Um...I know she's your sis and you trust her and all, but why the hell are you paying for damages to her car? shouldn't she be taking car of that? Just tell her that you'll even buy the paper bags, meats and bread for her packed lunches to help her out.

rc2002
07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
maybe someone kicked the bumper in or hit a ball at it then :dunno: if you believe her and only the bumper is damaged then who knows, it might be.

It takes quite a lot to actually damage the bumper (I assume it's the rear one) so it's unlikely that somebody kicked it or threw a ball at it.

Don, I'm really sorry to hear that. And I hope it doesn't cost too much to fix. Which part of the bumper was hit Don? Is there any paint on it?

max_boost
07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
You play Poker? What game? What stakes?

Anyway, get an insurance quote for damages and proceed from there. No sense in paying a $500 deductible for a $600 repair job. The way I look at it, a claim is a claim and even if your premiums don't go up, it's still a mark on your record.

donz
07-09-2004, 03:46 PM
yeah, max, that was exactally what I was thinking. the Insurence said it wouldn't rais my premiums this time, but it's staill a mark which could have an effect the on claims next time right? what's what I mean when I was debating making a claim. And it wasn't a ball, the other car left bumper marks!!!

I went to get quotes today, one at national, and the other at carstar, and the were both pretty close, around $950. I think I might make a claim, just because $900 isn't really what I want to pay myself.

Thanks rich, the corner of the rear is dented, the hit was over the metal rebar, where there is no support. And I was just jokeing about packing lunch. I hate packing lunch, bread and a slice of kraft singles still in wrap scares me!!!

And Max, texas hold'em, no limit baby!!! hehe

jdmakkord
07-10-2004, 02:32 AM
I saw the damage today, drove by your house, and it does not look like someone hit it that hard. The corner is pushed in considerably, but from what it looked like, it was only the bumper cover that was damaged. Now that does not mean there is no internal damage, but regardless, it did not seem very severe. The damage looked more consistent with someone backing into something solid ie: pillar or something of the sort.

Seanith
07-11-2004, 10:58 PM
So why the hell are you paying for your sister's cars damage? :dunno:

donz
07-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Ummm, who is jdmakkord? and how do you know where I live?? that's a little scary... I'm just waiting for "I'm watching you now" and I'll be freaked... J/k I don't know, like I said before, NO internal damage, missed the bar....The hit looks like it came in at an angle rather than a direct shot, because the dent is off to the side a bit... How can you tell if it is damage due to backing up or getting rear ended? If you can tell maybe you should be a cop because the cops couldn't tell... No offence or anything..
and if you need me to be more obvious, I was joking about paying!!! and packing lunches!!!!

jdmakkord
07-12-2004, 03:59 AM
I mean that if it was hit by a car, there would be more damage than just a bumper cover. Unless of course they drove up on your driveway really slow, parked against the prelude, then proceeded to push forward at a slow speed.

lol, and yeah I know where you live!!!!!! I drive by your house on the way to my girlfriends place almost every day.